Sombreros???

conny&tony

Thanks for the responses and pictures.....but she is wanting a HUGE one...don't ask me why. But she keeps insisting on a "great big one for when I'm in my gardern"

Me personally.... I think she is going a little crazy on us. :D but we love her

Thanks for the responses and pictures.....but she is wanting a HUGE one...don't ask me why. But she keeps insisting on a "great big one for when I'm in my gardern"

Oh, for the garden.

Then she probably wants a straw hat, right?

My husband bought him one in Progresso at the market where the shuttle drops you off. It it really big. It's fairly plain but has Progresso stitched in it. I think he paid around $5 for it. Believe me, I tried really hard to talk him out of it; but you can get beer in Progresso really cheap!:p

My husband bought him one in Progresso at the market where the shuttle drops you off. It it really big. It's fairly plain but has Progresso stitched in it. I think he paid around $5 for it. Believe me, I tried really hard to talk him out of it; but you can get beer in Progresso really cheap!:p

Exactly, lol. I took home sombreros, a hammock and 2 liters of cane liquor ($1 each!).

Also, they definitely will have the kind that you can roll up - ask around. It actually fit in the suitcase and made it home that way. Of course, it is more fun to wear home.;)

Don't forget you are going to have to haul that huge sombrero back home, unpacked. I doubt you can fit it in your suitcase.

Have a great cruise.

It does seem like every cruise we see someone in the airport wearing one of the grandes. I just hope they aren't sitting with us:eek:

Charlie

Exactly, lol. I took home sombreros, a hammock and 2 liters of cane liquor ($1 each!).

Also, they definitely will have the kind that you can roll up - ask around. It actually fit in the suitcase and made it home that way. Of course, it is more fun to wear home.;)

Where do you get cane liquor????

thanks

Where do you get cane liquor????

thanks

Oh it's nasty stuff. If you really want it, there is a small shop exactly where the shuttle drops you off in Progreso. They will have a bunch of bottles that look like clear gatorade bottles, usually with a little piece of sugar cane in them.

You have to mix this stuff, and it actually is not too bad with rum punch. The short one with the blue label on the second shelf up looks like the bottle I bought. Heck, at $1 a bottle it was worth a try. Prolly fried my liver.

bottles.jpg

Oh it's nasty stuff. If you really want it, there is a small shop exactly where the shuttle drops you off in Progreso. They will have a bunch of bottles that look like clear gatorade bottles, usually with a little piece of sugar cane in them.

You have to mix this stuff, and it actually is not too bad with rum punch. The short one with the blue label on the second shelf up looks like the bottle I bought. Heck, at $1 a bottle it was worth a try. Prolly fried my liver.

bottles.jpg

I'm just going to have to try this stuff, always had a thing for rot gut, cheap liquor. Do you know if they sell the stuff in Cozemel?

I'm just going to have to try this stuff, always had a thing for rot gut, cheap liquor. Do you know if they sell the stuff in Cozemel?

I asked around for it and they knew what I was talking about, but said it was a "Maya thing" - I guess alluding to the locals in Progreso that drink it.

I would look off the beaten path - maybe in a bodega type store. Good luck!

Thirsty, Thanks for the info

Do you remember the name of the place?? was it a bar or one of the open air shops?? any info would be helpful

thanks alot

I will look for it !!!!

SMALL sombrero shades your FACE.

BIG sombrero shades your ENTIRE BODY, especially when you're hunched down working in the garden. :)

Thirsty, Thanks for the info

Do you remember the name of the place?? was it a bar or one of the open air shops?? any info would be helpful

thanks alot

I will look for it !!!!

The only place I remember from Progreso was Corona Beach, because they drum that excursion into your head, and El Viejo Y El Mar, because they made it one of the best beach days ever.

As far as the liquor store, you really cannot miss it. It actually is where the bus waits to pick up pax - in the open air market area. Do yourself a flavor, though, and walk around this town a bit. There was one place that had a tequila shot and a corona for $1, and an open-air meat market that is not for the squeamish.;) Hammocks are a good deal here if you are in the market.

Archived