Dolphin Encounter & Tabyana Beach Day with Carnival

jzt118

Hey Everyone!

My family and I will be cruising on the Carnival Valor on May 17, 2009. And one of our stops would be Roatan. I was wondering if anyone did the Dolphin Encounter and Tabyana Beach Day with Carnival? If so, how was your experience? Thanks in advance!

spacer.gif

I haven't done the Dolphin Encounter & Tabyana beach day with Carnival - we did it with Norwegian. Last week, I sent my kids (17&21) plus their significant others on this tour through Royal Caribbean. I think it is probably the same tour regardless of the cruise company. My husband and I did it in 2005 and we thought it was so wonderful we paid $596.00 ($149.00 x 4) for our kids to have the experience. In my mind, it is a once in a lifetime experience that nobody should miss! The dolphin encounter is done at Anthony's Key. Tabyana is a beach on West Bay. The Taxi ride to West Bay is 40.00 round trip for two people. Anthony's Key is at Sandy Bay and would cost additional taxi dollars. On the excursion we booked, lunch and transportation was included. Overall, I thought this was a pretty good value although I realize it is not cheap. I would say go! The Dolphin Encounter at Anthony's Key is good. I have read of other places where you are sitting on a metal grate and the dolphins swim up to you. At Anthony's Key you are in the water with them. They are highly intelligent! One, named Mika, took a liking to my husband and kept kissing him! A word of advice: don't lick your lips (a natural response) AFTER the dolphin eats the fish and kisses you!! It does not taste good! Have a great time!

Haveluggagewilltravel

Thanks for the response!! I guess not many people do this excursion. But now that we've got more information, I think we'll definately do this one! It definitely is a once in a lifetime experience, and I wouldn't want to miss it!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Everyone!

My family and I will be cruising on the Carnival Valor on May 17, 2009. And one of our stops would be Roatan. I was wondering if anyone did the Dolphin Encounter and Tabyana Beach Day with Carnival? If so, how was your experience? Thanks in advance!

spacer.gif

We did this excursion and loved it. The dophin encounter was pretty cool and Tabyana had some great snorkling. The only things we didn't like was the dirty old school bus with no AC they used for transportation and the food at the beach sucked, but other than that it was a great day. I have some pics in my sig below.

We did this excursion and loved it. The dophin encounter was pretty cool and Tabyana had some great snorkling. The only things we didn't like was the dirty old school bus with no AC they used for transportation and the food at the beach sucked, but other than that it was a great day. I have some pics in my sig below.

Thanks!! Great pictures!! We can not wait to get in the water with the dolphins :)

• 2 weeks later...

We may have to change our plans since Cozumel may be out. We were planning on swimming with the dolphins there. I am hoping to see if there is an actual swim with the dolphins here or if it is just an interaction with the dolphins. Can't seem to find out too much about it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what we did; from the Carnival website.

Stand waist deep in the water and meet beautiful dolphins that are as curious about you as you are of them.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a short ride to the dolphin center at Anthony’s Key and be introduced to the world of the dolphin.
  • Learn about these amazing creatures as the informative staff conducts an educational orientation.
  • Enter the water, with a trainer, and meet your new friends.
  • Have the opportunity to ask questions, play with and learn about dolphins.

Note: Minimum age is 6 years; guest must be able to stand in waist deep water without assistance. Encounter time is approximately 30 minutes.

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=CW&portcode=RTN&excursionname=Dolphin+Encounter&excursioncode=518005

kcarp,

I loved your pix. We are leaving on our cruise in a few days and have the dolphin excursion booked. Did you have someone who was not in the water taking your pictures? My whole family is going and we will all be in the water. Can you make suggestions on how to get some of the same great shots that you took?

kcarp,

I loved your pix. Thanks! We are leaving on our cruise in a few days and have the dolphin excursion booked. Did you have someone who was not in the water taking your pictures? My whole family is going and we will all be in the water. Can you make suggestions on how to get some of the same great shots that you took?

I took most of the pics. During the session the trainer will tell you to get your camera if you want to take pics. Also, there is a professional taking pics that they put on a CD and you can purchase. Have a great cruise. :)

We did the dolphin encounter (a once-in-a-lifetime experience you buy for your family, as I see it) and were amazed by the beauty at Anthony's Key Resort. Just realize that you will not ride the dolphin, be towed by the dolphin or do much more than touch the dolphin as it swims by you several times. We learned a lot and the little boat ride was pretty. Our kids were, for the most part, delighted - but they left slightly disappointed because they wanted more "dolphin" time or a tail "ride."

The real downside is that they give the Resort's photographer the most time to get good shots of you interacting with the dolphins (okay, fair enough) but when you get to the gift shop and want to order the prints...the line is so long (both people viewing photos and folks wanting to buy souvenirs/shirts, etc.) that you feel like you have a choice: hang around for a chance at some good photos OR longer beach time at Tabyana. We chose the first minibus to Tabyana and were not disappointed!

[in response to my suggestion, the Resort emailed me that they are working on an online photo ordering system and said they would send me electronic copies of our family photos--- but nothing ever arrived.]

Tabyana was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen, the water was warm and the most beautiful colors. We didn't eat the meal (it was pricey for what it was). A ways out into the water, there are a lot of sea plants with squishy, spongey leaves underfoot. Just so you know!

We left our bucket and spade there (so other children could play) and now my daughters want to return there sometime.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm wondering the same. Should I book through the ship or anthony's?

We booked through the ship...worked fine. The excursion was great...I'd suggest a waterproof camera and know that you will NOT be riding the dolphins. (Note to all: before booking a dolphin excursion, know the more you spend, the more you do with dolphins wherever you go.)

• 5 months later...
does anyone know if the DOLPHIN ENCOUNTER & TABYANA BEACH DAY goes to anthony's key, as well? or is it at tabyana? I know the regular dolphin encounter goes there but it doesn't say for the tabyana one. thanks.

HEY lol lol.. I came here to see the same thing.. Tooo funny..

Also do you need to be able to swim for the beach/Dolphin encounter?

Archived