South Queensferry to Edinburgh - Shall we use bus? -taxi? -other?

Now that we are personally under two weeks to our flight to the UK, I thought that I'd summarize some of my findings about South Queensferry/Hawes Pier.

I assume that these findings apply to most cruise lines:

(1) this is a tender port: you cannot assume that you just add 30 minutes and magically you are on dry ground. It should be assumed that the cruise ship will give tender priority to their own tours, so beware! This is an issue to be raised with customer services once you board. It is reasonable to assume that unaffiliated passengers on their own in Edinburgh have some guidance on leaving the ship via tender. However, it is unrealistic to say if you wish to be on land at 0900 you have until 0830 to enjoy ship's amenities -- you may have to take a tender much earlier in order to make such a 0900 timeline. I cannot emphasize how important this is in terms of your plans and communication you may make with private services for Edinburgh. Making plans to transport in to the city to join some morning tour assumes that you have control over this process -- but you do not!

(2) cruise ships charge significantly more than local companies (even the most expensive). I have found (April 2012) roundtrip shuttle prices between 9 and 13 GBP. Helpful local private car companies include Dalmeny Cars (dalmenycars@yahoo.com) and Ferrymuir Cabs (ferrymuir@hotmail.co.uk). Cars typically hold between 6 and 8 passengers. Other companies provide vans/buses, typically between 16 and 49 seats. I personally will be using the guide services of Bruce Neilson at Invergordon (neilson44@btinternet.com). When my planning for a shuttle became unmanageable because we had grown to 35 participants, he suggested Vision Travel Tours from which he personally obtains van/driver services for his tours in Scotland. My contact has been John Campbell (info@visiontraveltours.co.uk) and he understands specifically the issues involved in providing transportation services for cruise ship passengers.

Now -- if I had this posting early in 2012, I would have saved many, many hours of effort. My hope is that these comments will be useful to others who visit Edinburgh from Hawes Pier/South Queensferry.

My best,

DJ:)

balticports@yahoo.com

Return is the same as round trip, as you are making a 'return trip'. Also alot of return fares in the UK are not much more than a single, to encourage you to buy the return ticket.

Thanks for the explanation. That's how I was interpreting it until reading DeloreanGirl's post, which made me question the meaning of a 'return' ticket. Thanks again.

Lynn

Even considering that ship passengers will arrive by tender, so the demand should be a little spread out, and even if you are in top shape with considerable energy, you will absolutely spend more time than getting into a reserved taxi that takes your small group directly to your first location in town (especially if it is the Castle with additional distance and substantial incline from train or bus station). We intend to use a private car company in the morning and return after a visit to Holyroodhouse. The small fee if well worth the up to 2 hours saved in this manner. We have found three options that will work quite well for 4 June 2012. Anyone who wishes to benefit from my month's effort, drop me a note (balticports@yahoo.com).

DJ:) we are thinking of doing the same as you. we are a party of 4 do you have a recent quote for taxi ? have you prearranged it?]

• 9 months later...
Just make sure the Queen won't be in residence at Holyrood Palace. On our cruise, she'll be there, so we can't go in unfortunately. I would chose it over Edinburgh Castle due to the historical residential significance.

I have a question for those that have done the train:

Is it a safe area to walk in to the train station for a solo person?

The area around Waverley station is completely safe until after 10 at night, after that during tourist season it is so busy there is rarely a problem. Pickpockets do exist in Edinburgh, especially if they become aware you are a foreign tourist, so do be careful of your wallet, especially in crowded pubs and the like.

During the Festival I wander around the central part of Edinburgh, including Lothian Rd, at all times and feel pretty safe.

Just to point out this thread is 9 months old :) Like several Edinburgh threads it was spammed this morning (since removed), which is why it has reappeared, not because of ozscotart!

I'm typically very vigorous in porting/reading during my planning stage, but sort of drop the effort in the after-vacation fatigue or afterglow!

Feedback and clarification: At both Hawes Pier (for Edinburgh) and in Dublin, one can make simple plans by forming small groups (4-8 passengers) with only the need to agree upon the location or locations to start your city visit and the time/location where to be picked up to obtain the best rates.

The above discussion of train service to Waverly Station (take a look at a city map?) does not take into account the distance between the train station and where you want to start your visit (perhaps not the case if you are going to ride the HOHO bus). Most people wanted to first visit the castle (we started at the National Museum), but we all wanted to end up at Holyrood House (downhill this way -- a significant but pleasant walk -- certainly to take in the Cathedral and stop along the way for lunch). We actually arranged for our own 48-seat bus as a 10GBP/each RT shuttle (will NEVER take responsibility for 46 other people again!) but taxis/private cars, in groups of 4, 6, or 8 will also work out at 10GBP round-trip: this ends up being 1/2, 1/3, or even 1/4 the price of a ship's shuttle (depending on port)!

Another issue about a British Isles cruise is water conditions, I guess as it relates especially to tides/currents? Our late May Princess cruise met all ports and was (with the exception of tour [ship's and private] delays at Greenock due to freeway repair) on time and quite pleasant, even rounding the northernmost coast of Scotland. In comparison the next cruise (end of first week of June) left port (Southampton) late, and then missed Guernsey, Liverpool (?) and Edinburgh (South Queensferry/Hawes Pier). Still a mystery to me. Why Liverpool (with such a reputation as a port)? Several of us would have preferred an overnight at Liverpool (allowing a tour into North Wales and a day in this city) rather than Guernsey (really just a UK tax shelter). Don't understand why Edinburgh doesn't have a deep water port and only figure that the river has a tide issue that may not allow use of Hawes Pier as a tender port? (Any ideas or actual information?)

• 1 month later...
I'm typically very vigorous in porting/reading during my planning stage, but sort of drop the effort in the after-vacation fatigue or afterglow!

Feedback and clarification: At both Hawes Pier (for Edinburgh) and in Dublin, one can make simple plans by forming small groups (4-8 passengers) with only the need to agree upon the location or locations to start your city visit and the time/location where to be picked up to obtain the best rates.

The above discussion of train service to Waverly Station (take a look at a city map?) does not take into account the distance between the train station and where you want to start your visit (perhaps not the case if you are going to ride the HOHO bus). Most people wanted to first visit the castle (we started at the National Museum), but we all wanted to end up at Holyrood House (downhill this way -- a significant but pleasant walk -- certainly to take in the Cathedral and stop along the way for lunch). We actually arranged for our own 48-seat bus as a 10GBP/each RT shuttle (will NEVER take responsibility for 46 other people again!) but taxis/private cars, in groups of 4, 6, or 8 will also work out at 10GBP round-trip: this ends up being 1/2, 1/3, or even 1/4 the price of a ship's shuttle (depending on port)!

Another issue about a British Isles cruise is water conditions, I guess as it relates especially to tides/currents? Our late May Princess cruise met all ports and was (with the exception of tour [ship's and private] delays at Greenock due to freeway repair) on time and quite pleasant, even rounding the northernmost coast of Scotland. In comparison the next cruise (end of first week of June) left port (Southampton) late, and then missed Guernsey, Liverpool (?) and Edinburgh (South Queensferry/Hawes Pier). Still a mystery to me. Why Liverpool (with such a reputation as a port)? Several of us would have preferred an overnight at Liverpool (allowing a tour into North Wales and a day in this city) rather than Guernsey (really just a UK tax shelter). Don't understand why Edinburgh doesn't have a deep water port and only figure that the river has a tide issue that may not allow use of Hawes Pier as a tender port? (Any ideas or actual information?)

That is terrible that you missed three ports. What was done instead those days? Did you just drift, see other ports?

That is terrible that you missed three ports. What was done instead those days? Did you just drift, see other ports?

Melody,

My comment was that our end-of-May cruise visited all ports on time/on schedule, but the next cruise (1) left Southampton late, (2) missed Guernsey, (3) skipped Liverpool, and (4) were unable to visit Edinburgh -- I have no idea why and, following the next Roll Call, its substance was mainly a discussion of the "joy of it" regardless and a great deal of consternation over the Busybus policy (on their web site) of providing only a partial refund in such cases. I've had the opportunity to review the Princess 2013 schedule and see that Liverpool is no longer a port (what a shame!).

One issue is that the large number of Princess vessels of this size and age may become problematic. In contrast to when I fly a US carrier, and have some confidence that the FAA monitors a schedule of inspections, repairs, and replacements, it seems (note the multiple Carnival vessel mechanical problems) that no standard is provided by countries like Panama or Liberia? I think too much discussion of food and dress requirements, not enough about vessel safety here? In general, we have found that we really cannot tolerate a cruise with more than two consecutive days at sea, and really prefer cruises that hug the coast (Alaska, Mediterranean, British Isles) or have many nearby island-options (Caribbean) just in case?

Actually, on our bucket list is a European river cruise -- anybody out there ever take one or have any experience in being able to compare options?

• 2 months later...

For us, this was a tender port. They had a small for pay shuttle ( sponsored by the town) running from the tender pier to a central section of Edinburgh. The shuttle was really one of those 20 passenger vans you see at airport car rental locations. The cost was 5 Euros per person. The line was long and so was the wait.

Will there be room on this shuttle for a folding wheelchair?

For us, this was a tender port. They had a small for pay shuttle ( sponsored by the town) running from the tender pier to a central section of Edinburgh. The shuttle was really one of those 20 passenger vans you see at airport car rental locations. The cost was 5 Euros per person. The line was long and so was the wait.

Will there be room on this shuttle for a folding wheelchair?

Which cruise ship will you be on? Date of Edinburgh "port"? Is South Queensferry listed as the location (or some other name)?

Basically large ships (necessary for a British Isles cruise) anchor in the river and the ship's and maybe independent boats provide tender service.

How many are in your group? What do you wish to do? Are you using any ship's tours that specifically designate they are appropriate for walking impaired?

Many areas of Edinburgh are not flat and larger vehicles most likely will not be accommodating of a folding wheelchair. I would consider reserving a private car for your group, and depending what you intend to do in whatever time period, either contract for a shuttle (deliver to x location, pickup at x location) or rent for the entire time and have transport between your locations.

Best of luck and enjoy this summer,

Don't understand why Edinburgh doesn't have a deep water port and only figure that the river has a tide issue that may not allow use of Hawes Pier as a tender port? (Any ideas or actual information?)

Edinburgh has a large, enclosed deep water port at Leith.

Archived