Mariner to Mexico - Our thoughts and impressions

Spot on review Dave and stunning photos. It was great meeting you.

Thanks Bruce.

It was good to meet you as well. It's always nice to put a face to a screen name!

Dave

No guarantees...but the consensus is that most of the violence is actually between rival factions. That leaves kidnapping for profit which to me would target places a bit more upscale than Stone Island.

It sure seemed that the locals, whose livelihood depends heavily on tourism, were taking precautions with increased security but again, there're no guarantees. If you are concerned or uneasy, perhaps the extra $20 pp or so for the ship-sponsored Stone Island tour would be an option?

My 2¢...

Dave

thanks our cruise is not til Jan 2010 so we ll see how it is then

If you sail out of San Francisco next year (select dates) on the Star Princess---you will have 10 days and sail as far south as Zihuantenajo/Ixtapa and Acupulco. You'll also stop in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. They skip Mazatlan. I did this in 2007 on the Golden Princess and it was a lovely cruise. Lots of sea days, but we also got to see those additional ports. (I had also been on the Sun Princess in 2003, for 10 days out of San Pedro and we did the same ports.) I really love Zihua! My favorite port. Las Gatas Beach is a delightful cove surrounded by barrier reefs. Water is warm and smooth as ice. A 5 minute water taxi ride across from the pier. I also love the cobblestone streets and village-feel.

Great review.

DH also was disappointed with RCCL food on our last two cruises because it was lukewarm. He likes his food hot and not just warm.

We sailed on Vision and would have enjoyed a newer ship like Mariner. I do wish the Mexican Riviera cruises included Manzanillo, Ixtapa/Zihuantenjuo, and Alcapulco because the ocean is so much warmer there since these ports are much farther south.

Great review.

DH also was disappointed with RCCL food on our last two cruises because it was lukewarm. He likes his food hot and not just warm.

We sailed on Vision and would have enjoyed a newer ship like Mariner. I do wish the Mexican Riviera cruises included Manzanillo, Ixtapa/Zihuantenjuo, and Alcapulco because the ocean is so much warmer there since these ports are much farther south.

The Radiance does 10/11 night mexican riviera cruises spring/10 that go farther south than the Mariner. Check it out.

Great review.

Radiance out of San Diego next year will do 10 and 11 day. Great itinerary.

I wonder if my Insta-Matic will take as good pictures as your camera!?!

a) Cameras don't take pictures, people take pictures...go forth and shoot!

b) It's been my experience that the best camera is the one you like and that the picture you take will always be better than the one you didn't.

Photo Philosophy 101 :D

Happy shooting!

Dave

Everybody put $12 in the "pot" and the moderator cashed it in for bigger bills. At the event she fed the machine set it for $3 max play and each participant got 4 pulls. when we got to the end of the list, what was left was divided up amongst the players. (We all got $5 back!:D)

Thank you for the information. :) (Hopefully we'll get more than $5 back....but won't count on it! :eek::rolleyes::D)

How was the muster drill handled? Did you meet on deck by the lifeboats or in one of the lounges?

Thanks. Photos are GREAT.

We went to a lounge but our friends were outside. It depends on your room.

Dave

Really enjoyed your review and pictures!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Cabo is our favorite port....we were there for a week and had a great view of all the cruise ships. The Mariner looked great!!! :) Hope this works....first time I have tired to upload a picture.

613805915_Cabo3-09025.jpg.c1b915e5e69bd46d1b818f490f8489d6.jpg

Dave, you really outdid yourself! Great review and outstanding photos too! I've read about the Sony 700. You sure do wonders with it! :D:D

Thank you!

I have to admit that I had my doubts when Sony took over Minolta's camera division, but the A700 has calmed my fears. It is a very capable tool and a joy to use!

Dave

Archived