Planning Dinner Clothing

stokerhj

So, no shorts or jeans in the dining room, right?

I understand this perfectly. Unfortunately it presents to me a problem- more to pack! Your typical Legend cruise will have 8 dinners. Eeek! Let's see, first formal night, fancy dress, separate garment bag. Check! Now, only 7 more outfits to go.

I figure AT LEAST one night (Barbados?) we will be skipping dinner on the ship. Two down... Black slacks, shiny purple blouse with Jewelry. Second formal night. Check! Hey wait... same black slacks, two other nice tops. 3 outfits in one! And I still am left with 3 nights worth of clothes to pack.

Does anyone else struggle with this? Then if you are a lady you also have to pack shoes for everything. Heels for fancy dress. Black loafers. But this other possible outfit needs nice brown shoes. We're talking a whole suitcase for dinner clothes alone! Then you have to worry about wrinkles.

Sorry, I know this post is long, but does anyone have any pointers or suggestions? What do you do? I am tryng to be creative with the triple black slack technique but still am having trouble.

Wish I had problems like this every week of my life ;)

Then if you are a lady you also have to pack shoes for everything. Heels for fancy dress. Black loafers. But this other possible outfit needs nice brown shoes.

I have a shoe/heels suggestion: how about taking a pair of what I call pageant heels. What are these? Simple clear heels. You can find them almost anywhere nowdays since they are the newest rage in heels. I have a pair of 3 1/2 inch open-toe ones I wear with almost any & every thing when I travel. They go with any outfit - dress or pants suit, even jeans for the disco or whathaveyou. :D

Happy sailing,

T.

Try the mix and match method. You've made a good start with the black slacks. Try expanding that to the rest of your wardrobe. I know, it isn't easy and I still end up with more clothes than I need. :o Also, look into reversible dresses. This might help:

http://www.cruise*diva.com/pack_small.htm (take out the space where the * is)

I did wear one dress twice and expect to see alot of casual clothing the first night at the first seating-

So you can get away with almost anything if your at the first seating- see they think you have not recieved your bags yet!!

I also brought one dressy pair of shoes that went with all my dinner clohes and skipped the jewelry

The kids had 3 dinner outfits and recycled them.

As for over packing- for a family of four I had

2 big suitcases, 2 small suitcases, 2 garment bags, 2 toiletry bags+ my purse

You will not be made to walk the plank if you repeat an outfit! I cut way back on our last cruise and STILL took too much. :eek: I have coordinated my formal outfits and dinner outfits to go with only two pairs of dressy shoes. If you pick dominant colors and stick with them you can eliminate lots of things you won't need. Another hint is don't pack too early, in case, like me, you are tempted the last night to put more things in the bag, "just in case". :rolleyes:

Wow! Thanks for all of the suggestions. Pageant heels? I'll have to check those out. Wonder if my husband will let me buy another pair of shoes? Think I could get away with casual green capris and a hawaiian shirt the first night? I'd have to wear sandals, though. My sandals also go best with this nice resort casual blouse and long white baggy tie-slacks I have. I think this would be a great non-first night/non-formal dinner outfit except for the sandals thing. Will anyone really care?

Tried the pack everything approach on our first two cruises, and it just gets to be a hassle. Hence my current dillemma!

Luggage/Carry-ons:

1 black fanny pack (to hold all doc.s , a credit card & some cash)

1 big shoulder bag (credit card, some cash, make-up, medication, contacts, jewelry, etc...)

1 carry-on bag (to carry hard to replace, if lost, items. Like your bathing suit & favorite dancing shoes!)

1 bag slightly larger than a carry-on (for day wear, shoes & clothes that you don't care if they're wrinkled.)

1 suitcase on wheels (for evening wear, using the "bundle technique").

I could easily strap both luggage pieces onto the wheeled suitcase and breeze through the airport. Important for me, since I traveled alone. No porters needed.

Arranging Clothes in Your Suitcase: I read about the "bundle" method of packing on the internet...Here's the website:

http://www.packinglight.com/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=77&

By learning this packing technique, I avoided having to bring a suitbag and it helped cut down on wrinkles. But, bring extra hangers! You may need them.

I did my packing the night before I left. It was more of a "I'm getting the heck out of here, and I'll buy whatever I forgot to pack, on the ship!" thought process. There were too many interruptions in my home, to have the luxury of planning everything, down to the last detail. I booked my cruise 6 days before it sailed. And, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise!

Tip:Leave winter coat with whoever drops you off at the airport. (And threaten them bodily harm, if they forget to bring it when they pick you up from the cruise.)

Traveling Clothes=Cruise Worthy Clothes

Underclothes, of course!

1-Plain scoop neck t-shirt, easy to rinse out in sink

1-Light wt. sweater (that will color-coordinate with several evening outfits incase the entertainment lounges are too cool.)

1 blue jean skirt (just as cool as shorts & can be worn in dining room, too.)

1-pr. socks (easily rinsed nightly)

tennis shoes

I packed...

2 Pair of Shoes:

1 pair black strappy heels (worn several times before cruise, to break them in)

1 pair of non-skid sandals for the pool area (which I was at everyday!)

Formal Nights: Two Outfits/1 Gown

1 plain black evening gown

Made into 2 different outfits by using accessories:

1.) draping a long colorful scarf around the neckline and tossing both ends over my shoulders. Colorful earrings to match & wearing hair down. Scarf, depending on length, can be worn as a "butt wrap" around the pool or as a belt for other outfits later in the cruise.

And...

2.) bringing a lacy black shawl to wrap around my shoulders, sparkly diamond jewelry and my hair pulled back with a dramatic hair clip. Again, the shawl can be used as a wrap for your bathing suit, too.

The simple black dress will be the "backdrop" for the accessories that will take "center stage". And, really, no one will remember from one formal night to the next. I know, I didn't....but, I drink alot.

For the 5 Remaining Nights, I packed:

1 red pantsuit jacket (Jacket only)

1 royal blue pantsuit jacket "

1 black pantsuit jacket "

1 pr. black dress pants, (in material that is difficult to wrinkle)

1 black skirt

Jackets can be worn buttoned and/or open with a camisole underneath.

And, again, with accessories, such as scarves, jewelry, different colored pantyhose,(tan/black) and a slight hairstyle change, you have a different look every night of the week!

Day Wear:

2 pairs of shorts (only wore 1)

2 more scoop neck t-shirts (wore 2 out of 3)

Clothing That Won't Matter If It's Wrinkled:

1 bathing suit & cover-up (Worn every single day, from sunrise-"naptime")

4 pr. underwear (easy to hand wash)

1 pr. socks

1 pr. jammies (which could be one of your t-shirts/cover ups)

2 pr. pantyhose (black & tan)

1 black "bike shorts-style" lingerie, instead of a slip

1 extra bra

Tip: Don't go out and buy all new hair accessories, make-up, hair products, sandals in every color, clothing that your not accustomed to wearing, etc...It takes away precious luggage space, adds clutter to your room and you'll only end up using what you always use, anyways.

Do bring hair conditioner in a small bottle. They have shampoo dispensers in the shower, but, the salty air & sun dried out my normal, no maintenance hair.

I have always had a great time on my cruises and I've never said "Oh, rats! I forgot to bring my__________! My vacation is over!" It's your time to relax. Don't sweat the small stuff. Focus on the fun you'll be having, not the clothes you'll be wearing.

I hope this has been helpful!

Have a great time!

Reggae Party

:D

First off, who gives darn what anyone else thinks about what I'm wearing? And secondly, its a VACATION, not a job interview. Dress comfortably, and don't get stressed out about it.

And my wife doesn't pack underwear when we go on vacation. :cool:

Here's my list.

1 bathing suit

5 t-shirts

1 suit (Can't miss formal night)

1 pair of flip flops color matched to the suit

1 large suitcase filled with beer

1 mask and snorkel

1 credit card

Only one credit card? Only one suitcase filled with beer? :confused:

Great suggestions !

I plan thing well in advance -- but that works for me.

I also write down what I plan to wear for Night, Beach, Day and Evening for each day -- This is mostly done so I don't over pack otherwise I would take the kitchen sink! This also help because I don't really have to think on vacation, I really just want to enjoy and this works for me.

We leave 12/26/04 on the Miracle -- can't wait -- ironing is almost done but will pack the day before to be sure I don't forget anything.

Enjoy

My husband cured me of the "pack everything" mentality last year. He told me I could take whatever I wanted as long as I lugged my own suitcases! I learned to pack much lighter and I am hoping I can cut down even more for my cruise in January. One good tip is BLACK. I pack 2 pair of black dress slacks and 3 or 4 tops for the casual dinner nights and then I have a very dressy 3 pc outfit (long beaded skirt, matching beaded top and car wash pants) that I wear for the fomal and semi-formal dinners. I only bring 1 pair of black dress shoes, 1 pair of sandals and wear my sneakers on the plane. My dream is to be able to travel for a week with just a carry on.

My dream is to be able to travel for a week with just a carry on.

I almost did it. I went for a 10 days vacation with only one small carry-on (approx. 18''X12''X11''), a backpack and a small purse. It was not a cruise though, I was leaving Quebec City for Seattle for a few days then headed for Victoria and then for Vancouver and I was staying at a youth hostel in Vancouver, nothing like formal nights during this trip. Best tip is to cut down on shoes. I had 1 pair of flip-flops for shower and the beach, 1 pair of running shoes (a must) and a nice pair of 2 1/2'' heel, comfy sandals.

As for the initial poster, one or two short skirts are a good idea. Don't take up much room, ok for casual nights with a nice top and you can rewear them for an excursion later during your cruise.

fourcrusin . . . what are car wash pants . . . sounds interesting. I'm with you on the casual dinner attire . . . I plan to pack two pairs of black slacks (soft and flowing) with four equally soft and feminine tops (wrinkle proof) and one pair of black strappy (flat) sandals that can be worn with everything. For the two dressy evenings . . . both dresses are tea length (one royal blue and one dusty blue . . . both trimmed in silver) and a pair of silver strappy heels that look fantastic with both. For the first night out . . . very casual . . . capris with matching tee and jacket. Daytime wear? Bathing suits, two long casual cover up dresses, 2 pairs of shorts, two pairs of capris, tees, sandals, water shoes . . . and my snorkle and mask. Of course by the time I leave in April . . . this may all change . . . tee hee!

I just got home from work and am surprised by all of the suggestions. You guys are very helpful and also funny. I stopped on the way home to look for some pageant shoes, but the only pair I could find had fake diamonds across the front. Ick! Found a great pair of sandals marked down to $3.50 though! I also bought a white top that can be worn with these brown slacks I was planning to pack and also with this skirt I own. I'm becoming a multiple use maniac!

I stopped on the way home to look for some pageant shoes, but the only pair I could find had fake diamonds across the front. Ick! Found a great pair of sandals marked down to $3.50 though!

Try looking at either Bakers or Shoe Carnival if you have those stores in your city/town. Bakers has a website, but not sure if they have those shoes available from the website. I'd look, but I am feeling lazy! :p Sorry! LMAO!

$3.50?! Good looking out on a fabulous deal!!!

Happy sailing,

T.

Ok, so I wasn't feeling as lazy as I thought! :cool: I looked at Bakers webpage & they aren't offering them on there.

If you would like to locate a Shoe Carnival near you, you can go to their webpage to do so. Unfortunately, you can't buy shoes at their site.

If you are feeling really desperate & we can work out something, I'd be willing to send you a pair in your size (if I can find them)!!! Just add @aol.com at the end of this screen name & be sure to put SHOES in the subject line so that I won't delete it!

Happy sailing,

T.

Archived