Where to stay pre cruise in LA?

Tintown

We have booked the Panama Canal cruise on the Coral in April 2010, from LA to Fort Lauderdale. We have been to LA once before and stayed a few days in each of the following: Santa Monica, Hollywood and Anaheim. We are planning to arrive a few days before the cruise, just to be on the safe side as it's a long flight, and would really appreciate some suggestions as to where to stay pre cruise. Would you suggest the port area, or is there not much to do around there for about 3 days? We had been thinking of going back to Santa Monica, but any input would really be helpful. Many thanks.

What might help you is go to the North American Homeports forum on the home page, then scroll to West Coast Departures. All sorts of info on that forum the L.A. area. All sorts of hotel, rental cars, etc.

Marilyn

We have booked the Panama Canal cruise on the Coral in April 2010, from LA to Fort Lauderdale. We have been to LA once before and stayed a few days in each of the following: Santa Monica, Hollywood and Anaheim. We are planning to arrive a few days before the cruise, just to be on the safe side as it's a long flight, and would really appreciate some suggestions as to where to stay pre cruise. Would you suggest the port area, or is there not much to do around there for about 3 days? We had been thinking of going back to Santa Monica, but any input would really be helpful. Many thanks.

Try the Foghorn Harbour Inn at Marina Del Ray www.foghornhotel.com

I have been doing some research into this as we are booked on the coral in February 2010. (same trip) We are only staying one night so we booked into the Travelodge LAX but if we were staying longer we would have picked the Foghorn. Free shuttle, free breakfast and right on the beach. Reasonably priced as well. However, you won't be able to book until further into the year as they are not taking bookings for next year yet. (We tried)

Take a look on tripadviser as well and you can get a lot of feedback there.

Also get onto West Coast Departures on CC there is a lot of information there as well.

I spent about a week researching this same subject - have fun. If you are looking for something a little bit more upperclass there are plenty of those as well. I am from Australia so your prices equate to a hell of a lot more in our currency.

Again have fun.:)

We stayed at the Inn at Playa del Rey pre-cruise. We LOVED it. We had a balcony overlooking the wildlife preserve; 5-10 mins from Venice/Santa Monica, 10 mins from LAX, and 20 mins from San Pedro Pier.

If you want to stay "near" the port, you could also think about Long Beach. It's just over the Vincent Thomas Bridge from San Pedro (where Princess docks). The Aquarium of the Pacific is world class. The Queen Mary is there and worth a look ... though we were just there a few months ago and it's kind of sad now. Lot of restaurants in Long Beach (look for Pine Street) ... L' Opera is excellent. King's Fish House is also quite good. Probably not enough to do for 3 whole days, but you're near the freeways in Long Beach and if you rent a car, the LA area is not that far.

It kind of depends on what you have in mind for things to do ...

In San Pedro you might look at the Doubletree hotel or the Crown Plaza. Both are very close to the port of LA (San Pedro). You will need to rent a car where ever you stay and enterprise is just a few blocks from both hotels. You will be able to see the ships arriving and departing. Ports o Call is only blocks from the Doubletree and on your departure day, I think they will shuttle you to the ship or when you return the rental car back to Enterprise, they will. Enjoy the cruise.

We like Redondo beach for a few days before the cruise. It is half way between the airport and the cruise port, and there is lots to do there!

Yep, I'll throw my weight behind Redondo Beach too. There's a lovely little harbour with a seal colony in there, a nice boardwalk, plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby and smack bang in between LAX and the port.

We stayed at The Portofino Hotel & Yacht Club which I can highly recommend. http://www.hotelportofino.com/

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last month before we went on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera and I can't say enough good things about them. We got a great price on Priceline. Everyone there was so nice and so helpful. We met with family who live in the LA area there the night before we left and the concierge suggested several nice places to eat and would have gotten their free shuttle for us to go to them. We ended up eating at a Mexican Restaurant just a block away. There were several nice restaurants within walking distance. They had a free shuttle to and from the port. Our flight home didn't leave Long Beach until 7 pm so Crown Plaza picked us up from the port in their free shuttle and took us back to the hotel to wait. They locked up our luggage for us and we spent the day in the port area at Ports of Call and the Maritime museum. A girl at the desk arranged for us to be picked up by a Town Car to take us to the airport at the same price as the airport shuttle service. We were very impressed with the friendly, helpful attitude of all who worked there.

If you are going to arrive a few days prior to the cruise, I would not recommend staying in San Pedro unless you are going to have a rental car to get around. The Crown Plaza and Doubletree are nice and close, but there is not much around. Long Beach would be a better option that is reasonable close and has more to do as others have mentioned. If I recall there is an Enterprise rental car place near the pier and hotels in San Pedro so you could stay in San Pedro and get a car and return it before you board.

Enjoy the cruise.

We are sailing out of San Pedro for Golden's Christmas New Years cruise to hawaii. We got a great deal of $80 (including taxes) at the Westin Long Beach - which is an upscale hotel nearby (about 10 mins to pier). The San Pedro hotels are ok but a little out of the way if you have some time to sightsee (IMHO only)

How about staying right on the Queen Mary?

Marilee

Personally, I think the QM is a bit dismal as far as a hotel is concerned and there's nothing you can just walk out to either.

How about staying right on the Queen Mary?

Marilee

Even though we live here, I have always thought this would be a neat thing to do for a weekend getaway. I lhave looked into this a couple of times and have always been stunned at the prices. The cabins are apparently quite small. If the ship were in top shape, maybe. But she is a sad, sad sight these days. There have been plans to completely refurbish her, but every managment company that has had her has ultimately gone bankrupt. Her days as an attraction have to be numbered given her current condition ... though not sure what the City of Long Beach will do with her since she's moored in cement.

If you have a few hours, and are a real ship freak (like me), she's worth seeing. The Long Beach Aquarium used to have a two-fer deal. 1/2 day at the Aquarium and 1/2 day at the QM. 2-3 hours at each is more than enough time to see each attraction, so it is a good excursion for the day. I do not know if they still offer that deal though.

But unless you are a real enthusiast, or perhaps sailed her before, I think you will be disappointed in the accomodations.

The other poster is correct, if you're staying for any length of time, you will need a car, as nothing is within walking distance.

Thanks for all your help everyone. It's not going to be easy to choose a spot, but I like the idea of being somewhere where you can walk to a beach and shops etc. So you have all given me plenty to consider.

As a native Angeleno (tho' raised in the Valley), I would recommend Santa Monica. Even though the ocean water will still be too cool to take a dip in, unless you're a polar bear:D, it's a nice community and a good starting point for sightseeing. You can go at night to the Third Street Promenade for dinner and shopping, and the atmosphere. And if you have a rental car, go to the Getty (if you're into art) in Bel Air, drive down Sunset Blvd. to Hollywood, go to Century City for shopping.

The QM is within walking distance of Shoreline Village and the Aquarium (we actually walked between the two at sunset a couple of summers ago, along the marina there...and if our daughter could do it, most people can). But I've heard mixed reviews about staying at that hotel.

Archived