If Carnival starts charging for steak and cuts out Platinum, where do we go?

fig414

Fruit punch does not ring a bell. Sugar highs and red teeth were never my thing. I don't know, or care, if its gone or never existed. Selfish, I know.

Dan

LOL! You are lucky you missed that one;) You would think the fruit punch was 100 proof:D

Cuts are cuts. But if they are cuts that I don't notice, I think thats great. RCL is cutting in very noticable places and from loyal returning guests. I don't see Carnival doing that.

Take my widget I didn't see it any way. Take my Platinum comps I will be a disgruntled customer. Take the fruit punch, I didn't use it anyway. Didn't even notice if it hadn't been on CC. I'm sure there are others like me.

The major outcry about the punch was to mix with smuggled liquor. Wonder if thats why it was dropped??? Not banging smugglers as I smuggle. But you know Carnival knows what people are using it for and if it is used at a disporportionatley higher amount than all the others I'd cut it to. They are there to make money on drinks not provide free mixers. Fruit Punch is much cheaper than OJ or Guava juice...so it wasn't a cost issue of it being to expensive except in the quantities it was being used.

If the point is to say Carnival is making cuts. Sure it is. But it making far better choices when it does and it is hurting the passenger in almost non-noticeable ways.

At the same time we are getting the best priced cruises in years. So exactly why are we complaining? I'll give up the fruit punch for a five day cruise for 2 for $600 total, thank you very much.:D

Cuts are cuts. But if they are cuts that I don't notice, I think thats great. RCL is cutting in very noticable places and from loyal returning guests. I don't see Carnival doing that.

Take my widget I didn't see it any way. Take my Platinum comps I will be a disgruntled customer. Take the fruit punch, I didn't use it anyway. Didn't even notice if it hadn't been on CC. I'm sure there are others like me.

The major outcry about the punch was to mix with smuggled liquor. Wonder if thats why it was dropped??? Not banging smugglers as I smuggle. But you know Carnival knows what people are using it for and if it is used at a disporportionatley higher amount than all the others I'd cut it to. They are there to make money on drinks not provide free mixers. Fruit Punch is much cheaper than OJ or Guava juice...so it wasn't a cost issue of it being to expensive except in the quantities it was being used.

If the point is to say Carnival is making cuts. Sure it is. But it making far better choices when it does and it is hurting the passenger in almost non-noticeable ways.

At the same time we are getting the best priced cruises in years. So exactly why are we complaining? I'll give up the fruit punch for a five day cruise for 2 for $600 total, thank you very much.:D

The point was that no matter how big or small the cuts are, there will always be someone that will be bothered by them. I will be sailing on RCCL next month. Will their cuts bother me.......absolutely not:D

I think if Carnival makes any cuts or changes to their products, I'm going to have to sit back and see if it will truly bother DH and I and whether it will have a big affect on our vacation plans.

We don't cruise Carnival for the past guest perks--we cruise Carnival because of the experience, the price, the itinerary.

If they start charging $15 for steak in the dining room, we'll step back and look at it. Does that affect us? Will that make or break our vacation budget? And we'll go from there.

I'm not going to stress myself out over this stuff. I just can't get worked up about it. Because if it turns out that Carnival stops being the best value for the price, we'll find something else.

I'm not married to cruising for a vacation, just as I'm not married to any particular line or All-Inclusive or vacation experience.

All that said, really, a $15 steak would stop you from taking cruises? They aren't going to be much cheaper on land vacations, ya know?

I was just getting ready to go beddy bye and saw this.

I appreciate your concern and your opinion but I posted just very recently that no one less than Gerry Cahill himself said that Carnival will NOT cut back on the product or the experience on board Carnival ships.

I think it's more important to concentrate on what we have and what will improve rather than conjecture about what may be lost in some alternate possibility.

Some cruise lines believe that cutting perks, benefits and increasing costs to the passenger will generate profits even when sailing with many empty cabins. Carnival believes, and has been proven right, that sailing full with happy guests generates profits even if they aren't as great as they once were.

We've seen which model works...

Just my $.02...

I hope that is the case but one thing I have learned is never say never. With the ever changing economy & market place a bunch of nevers of yesterday are becoming lies today

You know what MrPete is having for dinner?

Wow, lotsa folks with psychic powers on this board. ;)

:D:D:D

If she already knows that she won't have a bother on her cruise in a month, she certainly MUST know what I'm having for dinner.

I think if Carnival makes any cuts or changes to their products, I'm going to have to sit back and see if it will truly bother DH and I and whether it will have a big affect on our vacation plans.

We don't cruise Carnival for the past guest perks--we cruise Carnival because of the experience, the price, the itinerary.

If they start charging $15 for steak in the dining room, we'll step back and look at it. Does that affect us? Will that make or break our vacation budget? And we'll go from there.

I'm not going to stress myself out over this stuff. I just can't get worked up about it. Because if it turns out that Carnival stops being the best value for the price, we'll find something else.

I'm not married to cruising for a vacation, just as I'm not married to any particular line or All-Inclusive or vacation experience.

All that said, really, a $15 steak would stop you from taking cruises? They aren't going to be much cheaper on land vacations, ya know?

You are missing the point of RCL's $15 dining room steaks. RCL HAS FREE steaks on their dining room menu like they always have. PLUS you have a choice of an upscale steak for a $15. charge.

The problem is that the free steak is inedible, and the $15. steak is unremarkable and just barely edible. BOTH are victims of QUALITY [read PRICE] cuts.

Dan

You are missing the point of RCL's $15 dining room steaks. RCL HAS FREE steaks on their dining room menu like they always have. PLUS you have a choice of an upscale steak for a $15. charge.

The problem is that the free steak is inedible, and the $15. steak is unremarkable and just barely edible. BOTH are victims of QUALITY [read PRICE] cuts.

Dan

I will gladly report back and let you know if my top sirloin is edible or not on my Mariner cruise.......

I don't recall what type of steak I had back on my 2004 RCCL cruise, or my Carnival and Princess cruises.......but I sure would know if they were inedible......nope I recall eating all of them:D

But we get your point......you don't like their steaks........

I will gladly report back and let you know if my top sirloin is edible or not on my Mariner cruise.......

I don't recall what type of steak I had back on my 2004 RCCL cruise, or my Carnival and Princess cruises.......but I sure would know if they were inedible......nope I recall eating all of them:D

But we get your point......you don't like their steaks........

Last RCL cruise, 06, 12 day. Tried 3 different "named" pseudo steaks. All ordered RARE. Received all 3 times, 2 SLICES 1/4" thin of dark brown roast beef covered in gravy. I asked each time what it was supposed to be. And it was supposed to be the steak that I ordered. Even had I ordered roast beef, it was so difficult to cut that I did not try to chew any. The next two times I just sent it back and reordered something else. NOT BEEF! RCL cruise before that, Chops steak was less than an inch thick. Well done, not rare, sent back. Waited a long time, received another thin steak about on the well side of medium well. Tried to fool myself into seeing a touch of pink in the middle, it just wasn't there, flat taste and shoemaker stock tender.

I think I've been more than fair in rating whatever it is they call steaks. Luckily for me they have many good non-beef choices so I was never in danger of starving.:eek::D

Dan

Last RCL cruise, 06, 12 day. Tried 3 different "named" pseudo steaks. All ordered RARE. Received all 3 times, 2 SLICES 1/4" thin of dark brown roast beef covered in gravy. I asked each time what it was supposed to be. And it was supposed to be the steak that I ordered. Even had I ordered roast beef, it was so difficult to cut that I did not try to chew any. The next two times I just sent it back and reordered something else. NOT BEEF! RCL cruise before that, Chops steak was less than an inch thick. Well done, not rare, sent back. Waited a long time, received another thin steak about on the well side of medium well. Tried to fool myself into seeing a touch of pink in the middle, it just wasn't there, flat taste and shoemaker stock tender.

I think I've been more than fair in rating whatever it is they call steaks. Luckily for me they have many good non-beef choices so I was never in danger of starving.:eek::D

Dan

Well who knows I might like it;)

Well who knows I might like it;)

K,

If you order a sirloin steak, done to your order and you receive a delicious prime rib, it is still wrong! Perhaps a wonderful meal, BUT not what you ordered.

But when the 'sirloin' is delivered as 2 thin slices of OVERDONE roast beef in gravy and you are told right to your face that it is a sirloin steak, that is FUBAR.

Dan

K,

If you order a sirloin steak, done to your order and you receive a delicious prime rib, it is still wrong! Perhaps a wonderful meal, BUT not what you ordered.

But when the 'sirloin' is delivered as 2 thin slices of OVERDONE roast beef in gravy and you are told right to your face that it is a sirloin steak, that is FUBAR.

Dan

I wonder what the chocolate melting cake is really made out of:p:D

In three years is will be 2012, which the Mayans said is the end of the world anyway. So go cruise to Mexico, see Chitzen Itza, party like a Mayan, pop over to Jamaica and don't worry, be happy.

Nothing is for sure execpt by the grace of God, so lets be thankful and enjoy ourselfs. Even if the Mayans were wrong, just look out at that unbelieveable sea, and realize how small we, and our problems really are!

I don't understand the big deal about steak on a cruise ship. If we want great steak, we'll go to our local butcher and buy 2" thick Strip Steaks, then grill them to a perfect medium-rare. Or we will go to a steak restaurant. One of the things we like best about cruising is ordering foods that we would not get at home. Neither of us has ever ordered steak in five cruises. Even our sons try all new foods on our cruises. As a result, their tastebuds have become quite adventurous and expensive. :eek:

Please enlighten me.

I don't understand the big deal about steak on a cruise ship. If we want great steak, we'll go to our local butcher and buy 2" thick Strip Steaks, then grill them to a perfect medium-rare. Or we will go to a steak restaurant. One of the things we like best about cruising is ordering foods that we would not get at home. Neither of us has ever ordered steak in five cruises. Even our sons try all new foods on our cruises. As a result, their tastebuds have become quite adventurous and expensive. :eek:

Please enlighten me.

I agree and it took my second cruise to figure that out. I now try to order things that are not widely available at home or something new. I like my steaks better anyways. :)

I agree and it took my second cruise to figure that out. I now try to order things that are not widely available at home or something new. I like my steaks better anyways. :)

I'm the same way. I use my time on the cruise to order as many duck dishes as I can find(the less of those things there are in the world the better).

Archived