Who is your favorite Captain?

jerseymax

Hans van Biljouw ?

Nico Corbijn?

Kees Buckens?

Wieger 'Charley' van der Zee?

Copper,

He was Dutch and I didn't think he was very old at the time. Around late forties, early fifties. I have his signature on a card but I cannot read the surname and I seemed to have lost the log from that cruise so I am in the "dark." We were on the Maasdam in August, 1999 if that is a help.

Jennie

Without a doubt, Jeroen Van Donsellaar.

He's always been incredibly kind and hospitable to my family and I, and very interesting to chat with...

...and his wife Pam is gorgeous and fun as all heck to hang out with.

(Who are the nominees for favorite Captain's wife?)

;)

Captain Van Donsellaar has been at the helm for both our Hal cruises,(Zuiderdam /Eurodam).

He kept us safe from Hurricane Hannah 's wrath last September, I

would be more than happy to have him as our Captain again.

We had a delightful encounter with his charming wife on the Cliff Walk

Newport R.I (she was taking photos for the Eurodam Blog)

Super nice , very friendly and indeed "gorgeous" :)

• 1 month later...

Just off the Westerdam today! We LOVED PETER HARRIS!

Very approachable and a great sense of humor!:D:D He would walk right up and chat, especially in the Northern Lights!!:eek: :D

But we really like Capt. Mercer too!! :D

• 7 years later...
We really enjoyed him on the Sea of Cortez cruise. And he was the only captain I've sailed with who was highly visible. That was on the "beautiful and elegant RRRRRRRyndam" :)

Capt. Frans Consen, without a doubt, funny guy with a booming voice who likes to roll his 'rrrrrrr's:D, plus will do anything (within reason) for his guests

I know this is a very old thread, but I often think of our Captain on the Ryndam - Sea of Cortez cruise, who was such a delight every day with his humor and wit. Started with his announcement at the muster drill. At first we thought it was a joke as he spoke, then we were all laughing out loud as we realized he just had an amazing sense of humor and was walking us through a rote drill with flair. Thereafter, when we heard the mic. click on during the day, everyone stopped to listen, and we were never disappointed.

Had a few idle moments and thought I'd see if I could learn who he was. I've had many HAL cruises since this one. Never ran across Capt. Frans Consen since then, but he stands out as our favorite of all time. Looks like he's retired now, but such a fond memory!

I know this is a very old thread, but I often think of our Captain on the Ryndam - Sea of Cortez cruise, who was such a delight every day with his humor and wit. Started with his announcement at the muster drill. At first we thought it was a joke as he spoke, then we were all laughing out loud as we realized he just had an amazing sense of humor and was walking us through a rote drill with flair. Thereafter, when we heard the mic. click on during the day, everyone stopped to listen, and we were never disappointed.

Had a few idle moments and thought I'd see if I could learn who he was. I've had many HAL cruises since this one. Never ran across Capt. Frans Consen since then, but he stands out as our favorite of all time. Looks like he's retired now, but such a fond memory!

Captain Frans Consen, with HAL since 1978, retired on March 15, 2013 in Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale, FL where a white limousine picked him up from the dock after an emotional farewell by his crew. His last ship was Statendam. Awesome captain loved by his crew!

ERK_2505.jpg

ERK_2530.jpg

ERK_2533.jpg

Captain Frans Consen, with HAL since 1978, retired on March 15, 2013 in Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale, FL where a white limousine picked him up from the dock after an emotional farewell by his crew. His last ship was Statendam. Awesome captain loved by his crew!

Aww - love the pics, and how cute was he in jeans a T-shirt? I hope he is loving his retirement!!!

nl-nrens.gif

Bos, Dijk, Oolderink, Buckens, Kieviet, Van Zaane, Visser en yes, Charlie...

Yes, but that Koninklijke Marine Reserve (Royal Netherlands Navy Reserve) ensign with the black foul anchor under the royal crown on a white disk in the Dutch tricolor, after Captain Pieter Visser retired in December 2011, is only flown on one HAL ship nowadays, currently Zaandam, when Captain Pieter Jan van Maurik is in command.

Captain van Maurik was commissioned as a lieutenant in the Royal Netherlands Navy in 1978 and served two years on a patrol boat, sailing mostly in the North Sea. He is still an officer in the Koninklijke Marine Reserve which gives him the right, with the King's permission, to fly the ensign

The one who is steering the ship that I am on. :)

Good point!

My #1 is Pieter Bos, then after that Eric Van Der Wahl, Emile de Vries and, (even though he wasn't very visible), for the best crew morale I've seen, Marco Carsjens.

Edited by shrimp56