Who is your favorite Captain?

jerseymax

I bought his book while we were on our cruise. I also still chuckle when I think about some of the stories (the duck, the penthouse were ones that I thought were just hilarious). I like to read before I go to sleep and when I was reading this book, I burst out laughing many times (while hubby was trying to sleep). Hubby is now reading it and he's enjoying it very much.

I really enjoyed the chapter on how he met his wife. I just thought it was so sweet. I wished I would have thought to ask him to autograph the book, but I didn't. I also bought the two "Peter the Cruise Ship" books.

51g7csLaEvL._SS500_.jpg

Great book, funny stories! :) The 'terrorists', the unscheduled stay on the Falklands!

Frans Consen! He has such a commanding presence and a great sense of humor ... not to mention that unmistakable BOOMING voice. I thrilled to hear he is on the Statendam. Hopefully he will still be at the helm in May and/or September.

We really enjoyed Captain Frans...

The Indonesian staff also delighted in his partly Indonesian heritage... We liked that and their reports that he spends lots of time mingling with and getting to know his whole team... They were very proud to have him as their Captain...

We were pleasantly surprised that Captain Frans remembered our names, from the Captains cocktail party, at the Mariners lunch. Any Captain that can do that gets mega points from us!!!

:D:D:D

Edited by brucory

The mention of cruise books got me thinking about the "Walter, The Farting Dog" series of kids books (or kids at heart like me). At any rate, one of the titles is Walter takes a cruise. For any of you with grandkids, that would certainly be a hit with them (even if it DOES appall (sp?) their parents.

You are correct in that he has no rrrrrrrrrrrrrr's to roll in Statendam, but he sure rolls them in any word that contains one. His 1pm report from the bridge seemed popular and many people commented on how nice it was to get all the information that he shares.

He wanders through the Lido in the morning stopping to chat and greet people that are having breakfast, he even sang 'Happy Birthday' to a lady that turned 90 one morning, that was very cute. He was in the Ocean Bar on several evenings, when we stopped in . Enjoy your cruise! :D

There is no doubt that all will have a wonderful crrrrrrrrruise on Captain Consen's new favourrrrrrrrrrrrite crrrrrrrrrrruise ship of the Holland Amerrrrrrrrrica line....

:D:D:D

Why am I the first to nominate Captain Albert, who I think is the most knowledgeable master on HAL ships. He is currently on leave but will return as master of the Prinsendam. Those who haven't read his daily weblog should go to http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/ where he explains all the facets of being a cruise ship captain. He has also written several books. Having his webblog sent to my inbox is almost like being with the ship - almost!

Another vote for Peter Harris. He was the Capt. on the Volendam on the first Asia/Pacific Grand Voyage. He and his wife and daughter were highly visible and visited with us quite often. Also was more than interesting about our problems with the Chinese authorities which were many. We sailed with him and his wife last fall on the Westerdam and had lots of fun talking about that cruise.

The mention of cruise books got me thinking about the "Walter, The Farting Dog" series of kids books (or kids at heart like me). At any rate, one of the titles is Walter takes a cruise. For any of you with grandkids, that would certainly be a hit with them (even if it DOES appall (sp?) their parents.

The Walter books are quite a hit with the little ones at my school and I was quick to purchase them for our library when I went book buying. My principal looked at them with raised eyebrows but I suspect it was mainly due to the fact that his name is Walter too. :rolleyes:

How about the inadvertant sea burial that was done twice!!

OMG, was that funny or what? I have told that story to several friends. The "clank-clank" of the second one going off to sea!

How about the one where the Captain fell off the fishing boat? Or the Captain that found himself "glued" to the freshly-lacquered handrail? I also roared with laughter when I read the story about the harbor-pilot and the Captain's new fishing rod. I wish he'd do another book...I'm sure he has many more stories to tell.

Edited by twinkletoes4445

Captain Albert is the best! In his daily briefings he explained everything that was happening and why, making us feel very safe. One day for fun he and the cruise director traded places reading each other's daily briefings. His daily blog provided a great record of the cruise for our friends and relaives and us after the cruise. He came to one of our cruise critic meetings and spent 45 minutes or more talking and taking questions. He gave a lecture on the history of HAL ships and autographed his book, all profits from the sale of which go to the crew benevolent fund. He danced with many ladies at the Black and White Ball and made sure ALL the officers came and participated (except the few left on the bridge of course :)). We love his sense of humor but he does great things like facilitating donations at Boca de Valeria and Guatemala.

51g7csLaEvL._SS500_.jpg

Great book, funny stories! :) The 'terrorists', the unscheduled stay on the Falklands!

That was another good one. The next time I am on an excursion that's not quite going like it should, I am going to think about that particular excursion! In many of his stories I was amazed at how quickly they were able come up with ideas to help, or fix a bad situation. I think they called a military base for help...what a story.

The duck story was really a hoot.

Why am I the first to nominate Captain Albert, who I think is the most knowledgeable master on HAL ships. He is currently on leave but will return as master of the Prinsendam. Those who haven't read his daily weblog should go to http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/ where he explains all the facets of being a cruise ship captain. He has also written several books. Having his webblog sent to my inbox is almost like being with the ship - almost!

I also enjoy reading Captain Albert's blog. I find the information he posts concerning "who gets to do what...when...and why" when it comes to ships and ports fascinating.

I really enjoyed Capt. Peter J Van Maurik [lovingly known as Capt. PJ] last year on the Ryndam. He is very personable and visible all over the ship. He's a very good sport. Danced with many ladies at the Black & White Ball. Truly hope to sail under his guidance again.:D

OK, OK.... what was I thinking? leaving out Capt Morgan.. a cola's best friend

IMHO, michmike's comment makes more sense than most, if not all, the other posts in the thread

I can only imagine the reaction of captains, all of whom by the way are extremely competent, to a rating or popularity chart

how bout a new thread ranking Chief officers, engineers dining room managers, hotel managers and last but not least cruise directors:rolleyes:

sorry: just don't think ranking of captains is necessary or even healthy

Thank you, Sea King.

This thread has bothered me.

I have never sailed with any HAL Captain in whom I did not feel confidence he was immensely competent, well trained, experienced, able and make me feel safe.

That's where it's at.

IMHO, michmike's comment makes more sense than most, if not all, the other posts in the thread

I can only imagine the reaction of captains, all of whom by the way are extremely competent, to a rating or popularity chart

how bout a new thread ranking Chief officers, engineers dining room managers, hotel managers and last but not least cruise directors:rolleyes:

sorry: just don't think ranking of captains is necessary or even healthy

There has been no rankings. This thread asked if people had a favourite captain. Some people have shared nice stories about why they have a fondness for particular Captains. Some people like particular ships, and cruise directors are often discussed. The Captains mentioned may be complimented by their fans mentioning them. If they took this sort of thread as you have, then I would start to worry about them being at the helm.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: