They Missed the Cruise!!!

tnt091605

I had a friend at work that was being treated to a group cruise for the chamber of commerce. They were to cruise out of Galveston on March 26th for a 4 day cruise to Cozumel on the Ecstasy.

There were 24 in their group. They were flying from Tulsa to Galveston with a stop in Dallas the day of the cruise. There was an electrical problem on the plane. They were delayed for several hours. They kept updating Carnival to their situation. They finally landed in Houston during a bad storm. Carnival met them at the airport and told them they had to hurry and get their luggage and get on the bus. They said they had their luggage in 10 minutes and the driver was doing everything he could to get them to the ship. They said the water they were driving through was knee deep. Carnival was trying to hold the ship for them. But about 15 minutes from the port Carnival called them and told them that the ship could not wait. :(

Another group that was caught up in the same airline mess actually made it to the ship but they would not let them board. I am assuming that it had something to do with submitting their names for customs.

The friends group had booked the entire trip through Carnival. Including their air fare. Carnival gave them the option of flying to Cozumel or being taken to a hotel. Well those with passports. Some flew to Cozumel. But since it was a 1 port cruise some decided not to go. They were taken to a hotel and Carnival paid. Carnival then paid for them to fly home the next day. Then gave them a voucher for a free cruise and free air fare. They must still travel as a group or pay the difference. I was so glad to hear that Carnival provided such excellent customer service!

Wow, that's really too bad that they missed the cruise. Thanks for posting this. It shows us that even if you book everything, including airfare, through Carnival ~ it does not mean they will hold the ship for you. I think there are many people who are confused about this.

I am a huge fan of flying in the day before and booking my own airfare.

I hope your friends are able to take advantage of the cruise voucher and go on their cruise soon.

This was my friends first cruise. She was disappointed but has kept a great attitude. When she was texting and we thought she was going to miss the cruise we just assumed that the company would just be out the money. But I guess it worked out. Not sure if they actually had purchased the Carnival insurance but either was Carnival did great!

Wow, that's really too bad that they missed the cruise. Thanks for posting this. It shows us that even if you book everything, including airfare, through Carnival ~ it does not mean they will hold the ship for you. I think there are many people who are confused about this.

I am a huge fan of flying in the day before and booking my own airfare.

I hope your friends are able to take advantage of the cruise voucher and go on their cruise soon.

I agree.

So sorry for friends of OP! No one should ever have to miss the ship, especially on their first cruise.

Thanks again for posting this.

Many here have insisted that purchasing Carnival air and/or Carnival transfers guarantees the ship will wait. Anyone who's been around long enough knows that a story like this one pops up every once in a while.

This was my big fear for our cruise in a few weeks. We normally fly in the day before but decided to fly in that day. But with the weather being so weird everywhere we decided to change Our plane to arrive the day before. Now I can breath I was really getting stressed about this..:p

This was my big fear for our cruise in a few weeks. We normally fly in the day before but decided to fly in that day. But with the weather being so weird everywhere we decided to change Our plane to arrive the day before. Now I can breath I was really getting stressed about this..:p

I understand. We leave on April 26th for the Legend. The wife's brother is getting married on the 25th so we could not fly in the day before. I can't stand not going the day before. Glad we purchased insurance. I guess if we miss the flight we will catch them at the first port. It is Cozumel.

I'm not sure I could handle the stress of flying in the day of a cruise. I leave Houston very early in the morning when we cruise from Galveston, because you never know what might go wrong!:rolleyes:

I had a friend at work that was being treated to a group cruise for the chamber of commerce. They were to cruise out of Galveston on March 26th for a 4 day cruise to Cozumel on the Ecstasy.

There were 24 in their group. They were flying from Tulsa to Galveston with a stop in Dallas the day of the cruise. There was an electrical problem on the plane. They were delayed for several hours. They kept updating Carnival to their situation. They finally landed in Houston during a bad storm. Carnival met them at the airport and told them they had to hurry and get their luggage and get on the bus. They said they had their luggage in 10 minutes and the driver was doing everything he could to get them to the ship. They said the water they were driving through was knee deep. Carnival was trying to hold the ship for them. But about 15 minutes from the port Carnival called them and told them that the ship could not wait. :(

Another group that was caught up in the same airline mess actually made it to the ship but they would not let them board. I am assuming that it had something to do with submitting their names for customs.

The friends group had booked the entire trip through Carnival. Including their air fare. Carnival gave them the option of flying to Cozumel or being taken to a hotel. Well those with passports. Some flew to Cozumel. But since it was a 1 port cruise some decided not to go. They were taken to a hotel and Carnival paid. Carnival then paid for them to fly home the next day. Then gave them a voucher for a free cruise and free air fare. They must still travel as a group or pay the difference. I was so glad to hear that Carnival provided such excellent customer service!

YAY CARNIVAL!

That was very nice of Carnival to do that!

Makes me feel ever better about being in the Whale Tail Club!

I won't buy airfare thru cruiselines cuz they pick flights that are sometimes a little scary. Since airlines can cancel flights at a moments notice, I fly in the day before. I like to drive to port and even then I drive to arrive the day before cuz you just never know what could go wrong.

Wow what a story! Seems like it would have been cheaper for Carnival to hire a boat from port to take them to the ship! How far away could the ship get if they were only 15 minutes behind?? They do it in Mexico all the time -- I wonder if it could be done from the original embarkation point.

We always come in the day before and then when we get to the hotel I look at my husband and tell him if I had to walk with my suitcase I could still make the ship in time.:D I could just see myself walking to the port of Miami across the bridge lugging my bags:eek:

Very good to know and kudos to Carnival for doing what they did!!

There was no requirement for them to offer a replacement cruise!!

Nice!!

:)

Well, either a full refund (since everything was booked thru Carnival) or a replacement cruise voucher. Carnival was on the hook for one or the other.

Wow what a story! Seems like it would have been cheaper for Carnival to hire a boat from port to take them to the ship! How far away could the ship get if they were only 15 minutes behind?? They do it in Mexico all the time -- I wonder if it could be done from the original embarkation point.

I think you are forgetting Homeland Security rules (as this is USA).

I booked a cruise once and booked my own airfare so that I landed 3 hours before the cruise departed. I will NEVER do that again. I stressed a year of my life away. It turned out ok because every piece of the trip went perfectly but we had to be the last people getting on the cruise. I can say I learned my lesson without too much heartache. I will always drive or fly in the day before.

your friends name wasn't Ms. Tori was it? :confused:

.....since this was our first cruise we figured we would do everything through Princess. The flight from NY to Vancouver was fine, as was the transfer from the airport to the cruise port. We arrived in plenty of time to board. The flight home was the worst. Once you get transferred from Whittier to Anchorage, I think it was about 1:30 pm that you arrived in Anchorage. Our flight was not till 9:00-9:30 pm and we had to pick up our bags by 6 pm. We had a stop over in Minnesota, so all in all it was a little over a 10 hour flight getting home to New York.

Through all the traveling, the only bad part was the long flight home.

It was only after reading the horror stories on this board, that I would never, ever think of flying in the day of the cruise. I always fly in the day before and take care of my own reservations for everything.

:D

wasiii

I won't buy airfare thru cruiselines cuz they pick flights that are sometimes a little scary. Since airlines can cancel flights at a moments notice, I fly in the day before. I like to drive to port and even then I drive to arrive the day before cuz you just never know what could go wrong.

Hate to go all Eyore on ya, but I was with a group in Calgary in 07, and one couple was actually delayed TWO DAYS between Little Rock and Calgary [via Dallas and LA]. Bicycles are looking better every day:D

I live in Houston and for our very first cruise, we were booked on the Valor leaving from Florida. When I booked the cruise, my PVP actually advised me to book my own airfare. They said I could probably get it cheaper and that I should come in the day before our cruise. I booked my hotel thru Carnival, and it was a very good rate, because I had already checked on my own at several places. Anyway, we ended having to change our cruise to a different one leaving out of Galveston. But just the conversation with my PVP and what I have read on these boards in the last few years, I don't think that I will ever book airfare through the cruiseline. I would worry myself sick!:)

I live in Houston and for our very first cruise, we were booked on the Valor leaving from Florida. When I booked the cruise, my PVP actually advised me to book my own airfare. They said I could probably get it cheaper and that I should come in the day before our cruise. I booked my hotel thru Carnival, and it was a very good rate, because I had already checked on my own at several places. Anyway, we ended having to change our cruise to a different one leaving out of Galveston. But just the conversation with my PVP and what I have read on these boards in the last few years, I don't think that I will ever book airfare through the cruiseline. I would worry myself sick!:)

Why can't you can book your air through Carnival and come in a day early?

Why can't you can book your air through Carnival and come in a day early?

Hmmm, that is a good question. I was under the understanding that the cruise lines buy air time way in advance of the cruise dates. That is why there isn't a lot of flexibility and you fly and maybe the not most optimal time. Someone correct me if I am wrong. If this were true then maybe that is why you can't fly the day before.

I have always found that I can purchase air cheaper by booking on my own and we always fly at least the day before. Only once did we fly the same day from Seattle to San Diego, and I was a wreck, although everything went very smoothly!

Archived