What to wear in May?

We will be on the May 4th sailing of Solstice on a 11 day cruise, starting in Rome and going to Greece and Turkey. Has anyone been there this time of year? I spent 6 weeks backpacking through Europe but it was 20 years ago and I can't remember what I packed, but it was certainly lighter than what I plan to bring on this trip.

Are women wearing skirts, pants, capris?

Do I need a jacket?

When I am in Istanbul - do I need to wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants to visit the mosques?

If women wear skirts or sun dresses - where do they find cute walking shoes?

Money belts do not seem very attractive - are there other alternatives to being safe yet a bit more stylish?

Thanks for feedback!

We will be on the May 4th sailing of Solstice on a 11 day cruise, starting in Rome and going to Greece and Turkey. Has anyone been there this time of year? I spent 6 weeks backpacking through Europe but it was 20 years ago and I can't remember what I packed, but it was certainly lighter than what I plan to bring on this trip.

Are women wearing skirts, pants, capris?

Do I need a jacket?

When I am in Istanbul - do I need to wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants to visit the mosques?

If women wear skirts or sun dresses - where do they find cute walking shoes?

Money belts do not seem very attractive - are there other alternatives to being safe yet a bit more stylish?

Thanks for feedback!

So much info here on what to wear on this board..thnikn spring clothes..take a jacket..bring a shoulder cover..there is a HUGE thread on shoes just posted..see thread with lock on it.Use a money holder that fits under your shirt if not want a money belt or just keep in a wallet and keep bag close or a wrist wallet for money and CC's.Capris,skirts,pants etc. will al fine...whatever you wear here..Europe is no different.

There is no need to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts for the mosques (unless it's the appropriate attire for the weather). You do want to have your knees and shoulders covered. When we visited the Blue Mosque I wore capris (mid-calf) and a tank top (it was 90+ degrees)--I took a very light sweater type thing to wear while in the mosque to cover my shoulders. That worked fine. Keep in mind that they do want everyone's knees and shoulders covered--not just women. There were some men in our group that used some type of wrap (like a skirt) to cover their knees because they were wearing shorts.

We did have to remove our shoes so you may want to bring a pair of socks if you're not already wearing them that day.

You can also take along a nice, BIG, scarf or one of those square pieces of fabric that are used as everything from a skirt, swimsuit coverup, beach "blanket" or shawl in Brazil! (Although I saw them used in a variety of ways in Brazil, I have a very lightweight one that I bought at a craft stall in Tahiti made of peach colored cotton. Though I mostly use it as a swimsuit coverup, I used it as a shoulder cover in Istanbul because I could fold it into a square and put it in my purse. It came in handy when the bus a/c got too cold as well!)

You will find that men in Istanbul wear pants, not shorts. Because you will be there in May, why not conform and make it easy to visit any mosque? Shorts in the Greek islands is fine, but please, not in Istanbul in May. (Just my opinion; my spouse prefers to wear pants in the major cities of Europe, just as he does when visiting NYC.)

Archived