Transportation Concerns

I will be going on the Freedom of the Seas in October, and I'm starting to make my travel arrangements. This cruise, I'm planning on flying in, rather than driving due to the amount of extra time I would have to take off. However, the Freedom now leaves from Port Canaveral rather than Miami, which means that I will have to fly to Orlando, and make travel arrangements to get to Port Canaveral.

I'm curious as to how other people handle this type of situation? I've talked to my travel agent, who suggested I talk to a rental car agency about possible 1 day rentals for the day of arrival and return. She also mentioned the possibility of the RCCL shuttle bus service, for about $75 round trip.

I would really like to go the direction of the shuttle service, for convenience on the way home. However, I'm a little hesitant to fly in the morning of. I'd rather come in the night before departure to eliminate any risk of delayed flights effecting our cruise. I have insurance, but I'd obviously prefer not to miss the front end of the cruise.

I was just curious what others have done in this sort of situation. Long time reader, first time poster. I came out of lurking, just to ask this. ;)

I would recommend that you definitely come in the day before. For no other reason as to take it easy the day of the cruise. Rent a car that is on the airport property (right outside of the luggage pickup). No shuttle needed then. I believe its Avis, Dollar and Budget. You then can drop off the car on day of cruise about a block or 2 away from a lot of the hotels at Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach. If you feel more comfortable taking the transportation on your return you can make arrangements for one way transportation. Just remember taking RCCL transportation you have to wait for bus to fill up and make stops at other airlines so don't make early flight arrangements. You can also try ground transportation (just google Port Canaveral limo or go to Port information on this site). It will cost about $70 to $100 w/o tip each way. Hope this helps.

You are going to want to come in the day before. With the way airline overbook everything, if there is an issue with a flight you have a better chance of making it to your ship on time. No reason to have to stress out over weather your going to make it to your boat on time!

We prefer to fly in a day early, rent a car from Budget at the airport. Then we have a car to run around in, pick up last min. items, sodas, water, etc. Plus we are not stuck at the hotel for dinner. The drop-off for Budget at Port Canaveral is about a mile and a half or so from the pier and they have a free shuttle bus to drop you off right at the dock. Very easy!

We prefer to fly in a day early, rent a car from Budget at the airport. Then we have a car to run around in, pick up last min. items, sodas, water, etc. Plus we are not stuck at the hotel for dinner. The drop-off for Budget at Port Canaveral is about a mile and a half or so from the pier and they have a free shuttle bus to drop you off right at the dock. Very easy!

Excellent! Thanks for the help. I noticed both Budget and Avis are in the Cape Canaveral area as well as the MCO airport, but I didn't know how close they would be to the pier itself. That's fantastic that they have a free shuttle service. Again, thanks a lot.

The Budget office on Astronaut Blvd is CC5. That's the one closest to the pier. They're open 7 days/week, and run the shuttle every day. That office is locally owned, and they've been really nice to us every time I've used them.

We have used Budget many times as well. It works great. I go to Costco's web site (click on travel and then car rentals) and follow the link to Budget from there to get the Costco discounted price. We are Costco members but I must say they have never asked to see our membership card.

Drop off is easy and there are multiple gas stations right near the Cape Canaveral (CC5) Budget office.

There is good signage coming out of the airport and then it is a straight shot and an easy 45-50 minute drive from the airport to the Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral/Port Canaveral area.

I will be going on the Freedom of the Seas in October, and I'm starting to make my travel arrangements. This cruise, I'm planning on flying in, rather than driving due to the amount of extra time I would have to take off. However, the Freedom now leaves from Port Canaveral rather than Miami, which means that I will have to fly to Orlando, and make travel arrangements to get to Port Canaveral.

I'm curious as to how other people handle this type of situation? I've talked to my travel agent, who suggested I talk to a rental car agency about possible 1 day rentals for the day of arrival and return. She also mentioned the possibility of the RCCL shuttle bus service, for about $75 round trip.

I would really like to go the direction of the shuttle service, for convenience on the way home. However, I'm a little hesitant to fly in the morning of. I'd rather come in the night before departure to eliminate any risk of delayed flights effecting our cruise. I have insurance, but I'd obviously prefer not to miss the front end of the cruise.

I was just curious what others have done in this sort of situation. Long time reader, first time poster. I came out of lurking, just to ask this. ;)

I originally booked Freedom of the Seas & had the same concerns. With the cost of a taxi or shuttle and overnight stay in a hotel, I changed my trip to sail Liberty out of Miami, which was is an easier port to get to and upgraded my cabin instead. Some hotels offer a shuttle to their hotel from the airport and the another from the hotel to the pier. You would only need to worry about getting back to the airport after your cruise.

Check out this post, it has alot of information about Port Canaveral.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16572349&postcount=5024

Have a great cruise.

Archived