Luggage Problem in New York

Poppett

My partner and I have never cruised before and we are booked on the QM2 transatlantic crossing - Southampton to New York in June and are really looking foward to it. We dock in New York around 7.00 am on the 19th June and our flight back to Heathrow leaves at approx. 18.00hrs from JFK the same day. Therefore, we will have some time to kill in New York - which is great and we plan to have a nice lunch and do a bit of shopping - if time allows. Our problem is that we will have our luggage with us. Ideally we would like to store it at the port - is this possible? Any suggestions/ideas would be very welcome.

Also, we plan to catch a cab at the port to take us into Manhattan, is this a good idea or would we be better off booking a Cunard transfer?

Thank you so much for your help.:)

Last year when we came in to Brooklyn from Southampton, there was a item in the Cunard Daily Programme about luggage storage available at the Brooklyn pier. I think it was meant for long term storage, for those staying in the US for awhile but who knows they may store for the day. We noticed their people at a table just outside customs at the Brooklyn Terminal.

My impression was this was a private company, but Cunard did 'sponsor' it in a sense since they did the arrangements on the ship.

Sorry to be so vague about it, but we weren't interested in the service so I didn't get the details. Perhaps if your agent called Cunard they could find out more.:) Good luck.

My partner and I have never cruised before and we are booked on the QM2 transatlantic crossing - Southampton to New York in June and are really looking foward to it. We dock in New York around 7.00 am on the 19th June and our flight back to Heathrow leaves at approx. 18.00hrs from JFK the same day. Therefore, we will have some time to kill in New York - which is great and we plan to have a nice lunch and do a bit of shopping - if time allows. Our problem is that we will have our luggage with us. Ideally we would like to store it at the port - is this possible? Any suggestions/ideas would be very welcome.

Also, we plan to catch a cab at the port to take us into Manhattan, is this a good idea or would we be better off booking a Cunard transfer?

My understanding from previous posts is that if you book a Cunard NYC tour (excursion) of the city they will take care of your luggage for you.

My understanding from previous posts is that if you book a Cunard NYC tour (excursion) of the city they will take care of your luggage for you.

Or you could arrange a car service for the day (hourly rates) and the driver could stay with the car and luggage as you visit various points of interest and at the end take you to the airport. More freedom than the Cunard tours, I should think.

Cunard have a coach tour around the sights in NYC, I think it leaves Brooklyn at around 9.30 to 10am and tours around, there is a stop for lunch at a restaurant in a shopping mall, leaving you a little time for retail therapy. Then they will take you to JFK or EWR at around 3 to 4pm. My son did it 2 years ago as he was in your situation. Car service will probably run you something like $50 per hour plus tolls and tips so the bus tour is quite good. Although there are two of you so you may have to do the math. Have you put your names on the rollcall thread for that voyage? It is on this board at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=758087

Hello,

while my crossing in August last year the transfer from QM2 to the airport was included in price of the voyage. Also on my next trip the transfer will be included. I don't know if this is a special for German voyage packages.

The transfer had two parts: First part was the transfer from Broklyn to the Marriot Hotel at Times Square and storage of all luggage in the hotel and as second part the transfer from the hotel to Newark at afternoon.

After all this is a good service, but beware: The staff of Cunard is often uninformed and you get different information of meeting points and departure times every person you ask.

Please look if the transfer is included. If not there may be an opperunity to book it.

Have a nice trip

Frank

When we went in 2007 to the carriabean, we ended the cruise in NYC, early, I told cunard that I would expect to straight to the airport and spend the day there.

Cunard offered me,

A free coach tour and lunch stop and then to the airport, all bags stayed on the coach.

or

a coach into NYC and a free hotel (day room) and transfer to the airport. and as i understand this it the norm for them but you ask at the pursers desk,

+++++

My suggestions would be to take the Cunard transfer to Penn Station where you can check your bags for the day. Taxis are not always available in sufficient numbers upon arrival at Red Hook. Then after spending the few hours sightseeing, you can take a taxi from Penn to JFK from either the 7th or 8th Avenue sides. Cost is a flat $45 + toll + tip for about $60. If your luggage is not burdensome, you can take the Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station to Jamaica (20 miniutes) and an easy connection to the Air Train to your terminal. Cost would be $5.25 each (less for seniors/weekends) for the LIRR and $5 each for Air Train. So total $20.50 (less for seniors/weekends) for two.

Ted

Unless something has changed recently, to my knowledge, the flat fee fare is only FROM JFK to Manhattan and not Manhattan TO JFK, which is metered.

its both ways and has been for about about three years jfk to and from Manhattan

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. Surcharges will not be added.

its both ways and has been for about about three years jfk to and from Manhattan

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. Surcharges will not be added.

Well, there you have it. I stand corrected, and happily so. I shall now stop using black cars to JFK, as they always hassle one about extra luggage!

Well, there you have it. I stand corrected, and happily so. I shall now stop using black cars to JFK, as they always hassle one about extra luggage!

BTW for those of you from out of town "black car" is generic name for any private car service which you arrange for by prearrangement-you can call and they can come you just can't put up your hand and say "car". The cars are not always black(although 90% are). There is one exception to this rule the cruise terminal in Brooklyn has been allowed to contract with a black car company for you to be able to use them at that terminal without prearrangement. I find that they are at least twice the price of a yellow cab or your own arranged car service-black car.

A taxi is a yellow cab with a meter that is licensed to pick up street hails. Its illegal in NY for a private car service to be painted yellow.

Much as I love transatlantic crossings, I would always feel deprived if I landed in a port such as New York (where I have lived most of my life) or in Southampton without going to London for a day or 2 to go to at least one museum and at least one play. Why not stay overnight and enjoy some of the cultural events that these cities have to offer? If cost is a concern, there are plenty of good hotel deals these days.

Much as I love transatlantic crossings, I would always feel deprived if I landed in a port such as New York (where I have lived most of my life) or in Southampton without going to London for a day or 2 to go to at least one museum and at least one play. Why not stay overnight and enjoy some of the cultural events that these cities have to offer? If cost is a concern, there are plenty of good hotel deals these days.

Hate to disagree, but I'm horrified at the high prices of the NYC hotels for November 30th. With the poor £ to $ exchange rate we have had to settle for the Radisson, not our usual 5* choice. It's not just the exchange rate - the rates have risen steeply since our last trip 18 months ago. Having said that, NYC is our favourite city and a one night stop post cruise, just had to be made! Sue

As life long New Yorkers who now live mostly in Miami Beach, we are stunned by the very high prices for New York hotels. We are now joining a one of the many clubs in New York that have reciprocity with clubs throughout the world. The rates are not cheap but they are better than those of any hotel. You might want to look into this option.

We have the same issue, we need to get rid of the luggage whilst we do a spot of sightseeing in NY. We dock on the Sunday morning, but do not fly out to Orlando until the Sunday night from JFK. We are travelling independently, so no 'transfers' are included.

One of the options we are looking at is using the company below:

http://www.nyc.com/yellow_pages/luggage_storage_for_you.1004271/editorial_review.aspx

They appear to be fairly central, although I do need to study my NY map in a bit more detail.

We have the same issue, we need to get rid of the luggage whilst we do a spot of sightseeing in NY. We dock on the Sunday morning, but do not fly out to Orlando until the Sunday night from JFK. We are travelling independently, so no 'transfers' are included.

One of the options we are looking at is using the company below:

http://www.nyc.com/yellow_pages/luggage_storage_for_you.1004271/editorial_review.aspx

They appear to be fairly central, although I do need to study my NY map in a bit more detail.

It is Midtown, though rather far West (close to the Manhattan piers!). I'll try to remember to take a look at the place next time I am in that area.

Archived