Zip-Lining

Newbcruiser1

Has anyone done the "Canopy Tour" Zip-Lining recently? I would like to do it on my cruise in June, however I'm having trouble finding more than a couple reviews (and haven't seen any recently).

Just a few questions if anyone's done it...

How strenuous is it?

Is it extremely hot? Lots of bugs?

What would you recommend wearing and carrying as far as a purse goes (would a small-ish cross-body purse work okay?)

And most importantly... did it feel safe?!

Thanks in advance! :)

I just did it on Tuesday.

Yes, it was fun and safe. However 2 bus loads of cruise ship excursions got there just before us, so we did have to wait a while to get to do it. That was the only negative.

It is not what I call strenuous (there is a little walk up to the first platform (maybe 10 mins) that is uphill).

I didn't notice any bugs, it was not hot, but it may get a bit hotter in June. But you are in the forest, so there is no direct sun.

If you need to bring a purse: we used a tummy pack. A cross body bag would be fine. Wear sneakers and longer shorts

I felt it safe.

I noticed with all the people going through, the guides were busy and a little less attentive/personable then the last time I had been there. (I guess that is to be expected!). They still clipped you on and off safety lines and did the multi point check before you went each time (to make sure you were properly clipped onto the lines and harness).

• 2 weeks later...

The Freedom canceled our tour because of our arrival time. They apparently never do it. We did the Zipline in St. Maarten instead. That is more of an obstacle course. I would wear long shorts and sneakers as previously suggested. I don't know about bags but in St. Maarten they did not allow any bags/fanny packs - they secured them in bins behind the desk. Also, I would make sure to have a glasses strap if you wear corrective lenses.

What great information. Can you tell me if it is stenuous? Do I need good upper body strength? I have always wanted to do this and this tour looks great. But... I am on the "older" side!!! :eek:

My 74yo Mom did it!

No upper body strength needed at all.

There is a hike up to the first platform, but if you just take it slowly, it is ok. Other than that, the harness does the work.

I really, really, really want to do zip lining, but I have a fear of heights!:eek:

I'm afraid I would just freeze up.

So, were any you as scared and ended up doing this excursion? I want answers from the chickens!;):p

My mother, as it turned out, is deathly afraid of heights (you learn something new everyday!). She could hardly will herself to step off the platforms. She had to stop after about 5 zips. But along the way, the employees were great with her, with encouragement , they even went tandem with her, and when she could not do any more, they showed her how to exit the course and get back to the start.

Recently, a friend went and he had a fear of heights. He was very nervous, but by the end of the course, he really enjoyed himself. He even said he would do it again.

I think it depends on how great your fear is.

What island is there ziplining? We will be on AOS - visiting San Juan, Aruba, Dominica, Curacao and St. Thomas. Any of these have ziplinign?

Were on the AOS in May, and San Jaun has a "real" zipline course. Dominc has a hybrid zipline, and obstacal course. I understand that the Dominca course is a little tough for some folks. None of the other islands have a zip line on the island you listed.

Were on the AOS in May, and San Jaun has a "real" zipline course. Dominc has a hybrid zipline, and obstacal course. I understand that the Dominca course is a little tough for some folks. None of the other islands have a zip line on the island you listed.

I don;t know about your islands... on our cruise, we had a choice of ziplining on PR, Antigua (which we did ) or St Lucia.

Do a google search, you may find something.

We have done the zip lining on PR on on-cruise time. The cruise lines use one operator, but there are a number of them now...

• 2 weeks later...

Recently booked the San Juan Canopy Tour through Carribean Princess in Guaynabo...has anyone on here done that? it says it has ziplines and also tarzan swings, and I'm wondering what exactly that is. One last question is that on the excursions website it says "in-transit only" just wondering if that is anything important that I need to know about doing this excursion...thanks in advance for any advice!!

We've been on the zipline canopy tour in Guaynabo 4 times now over the past 1.5 years, most recently about 3 weeks ago. They've never had "tarzan swings" (whatever that is) ... just ziplines and a couple of assisted descent rappels.

You can probably do a Google search for "guaynabo zipline tour" and find more information about what the tour consists of.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ray,

Did you book through a Cruise line or on your own?

Since you have been so many times in a short period of time, I am assuming you think it's well worth the price? I have never been, not afraid of heights...will I love it?

Thanks!

Jen

Hey Ray' date='

Did you book through a Cruise line or on your own?

Since you have been so many times in a short period of time, I am assuming you think it's well worth the price? I have never been, not afraid of heights...will I love it?

Thanks!

Jen[/quote']

Neither, really. We live in Puerto Rico so we didn't have the issue of having to book through the cruise line.

From what we've heard, booking on your own with the operator the cruise ships use is really difficult.

Will you love it? I don't know you so I can't say. But ziplines in general are a lot of fun! We've always enjoyed ourselves, no matter which operator we've used.

Archived