Buttermilk?

Just wondering if anyone knows if they have lowfat buttermilk available on NCL's ships.

We are going on a 15 day Trans Atlantic cruise and I want to make my own delicious 16 calorie, 1 gm of fat (per tablespoon) ranch dressing for the trip. I figure having low cal salad dressing will help a little with the eating disorder (Eat Everything You See) we develop when we board the ship!

We can take all the other ingredients with us, mix it up and store it in our cabin refrigerator. But can't take the buttermilk because we can't keep it cold enough prior to the cruise as we are going to be in NYC a day early.

Does anyone know or have any other ideas?

Cat

They do have low-cal salad dressings available, but if you must make your own, you can buy buttermilk powder -- it's in the baking section of your grocery store. It simply stirs into milk (or other liquid) and is ready to go.

Just wondering if anyone knows if they have lowfat buttermilk available on NCL's ships.

We are going on a 15 day Trans Atlantic cruise and I want to make my own delicious 16 calorie, 1 gm of fat (per tablespoon) ranch dressing for the trip. I figure having low cal salad dressing will help a little with the eating disorder (Eat Everything You See) we develop when we board the ship!

We can take all the other ingredients with us, mix it up and store it in our cabin refrigerator. But can't take the buttermilk because we can't keep it cold enough prior to the cruise as we are going to be in NYC a day early.

Cat

I was told there are several stores very near the pier. They might sell buttermilk. I'll be buying my diet coke there. :D

DT

Thanks - I'll look for the buttermilk powder. Plus I think you can add vinegar to regular lowfat milk as a substitute for buttermilk.

One thing I like about the main dining room is the Cooking Light selections! Last year we did a 12 day Baltics cruise and ate everything we wanted except we decided we wouldn't eat bread with dinner or dessert. We didn't gain an ounce - so that was a victory!

Cat

Another thing you should know. Unless you ask for a *refrigerator*, the "refrigerator" that normally is in the cabin is really not much more than a *cooler*. It'll keep things cold, but not necessarily cold enough to keep fresh something that is perishable. Those of us who take meds that need *refrigeration* have to ask for the real thing, as the "cooler" doesn't get much below 40 degrees -- fine for sodas and water, not so good for real cooling.

To make buttermilk from regular (or low fat) milk: add 1-3/4 tablespoons of cream of tartar ; or add a tablespoon of lemon juice; or a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

They do have low-cal salad dressings available, but if you must make your own, you can buy buttermilk powder -- it's in the baking section of your grocery store. It simply stirs into milk (or other liquid) and is ready to go.

True and great for baking, but I wouldn't use it for salad dressing. It simply doesn't have the consistency, taste, or characteristics of buttermilk. If anyone does decide to try doing this to make dressing (or what have you), make certain to buy one that is for use in reconstituting because some varieties and brands are designed to be used only in baked goods and can only be mixed into the other dry ingredients. (Keep in mind that it's only my opinion about not using it for anything but in a pinch in baking. I also can't stand powdered non-fat milk as a beverage or for any use but baking.)

Edit: A little informational note. Adding lemon or vinegar (acids) to milk makes what is technically called sour milk, which can be substituted for buttermilk in recipes. It does get nice and thick, and gives the nice acid bite, but it's not a comparable substitute for dressings. (Again, IMO.)

beachchick

Archived