Drink Coupons? Are they worth it?

Specter

Hey guys-

We're sailing the Liberty at the end of May. We're on a pretty tight budget this time, and need to save as much as possible. I found out about the drink coupons, and have searched the boards here- but am confused about a number of things.

I see that they're only for $5.25 drinks, and INCLUDE gratuity. What exactly classifies as a $5.25 drink? I assume the DOD in the 'Souvenier Cup' is much more expensive than $5.25, correct? So, would a Rum & Coke be a $5.25 drink? Would a Long Island Ice Tea be a $5.25 drink? Do they REALLY save you that much money (how much are these drinks on board?)

Same question on the 'Soft Beverages'. They come out to $1.93 each for a can of soda. How much are they on board without the coupon?

Thanks!

Hey guys-

We're sailing the Liberty at the end of May. We're on a pretty tight budget this time, and need to save as much as possible. I found out about the drink coupons, and have searched the boards here- but am confused about a number of things.

I see that they're only for $5.25 drinks, and INCLUDE gratuity. What exactly classifies as a $5.25 drink? I assume the DOD in the 'Souvenier Cup' is much more expensive than $5.25, correct? So, would a Rum & Coke be a $5.25 drink? Would a Long Island Ice Tea be a $5.25 drink? Do they REALLY save you that much money (how much are these drinks on board?)

Same question on the 'Soft Beverages'. They come out to $1.93 each for a can of soda. How much are they on board without the coupon?

Thanks!

It may be worth it to you in the fact that if you have set a budget, and already paid for the coupons, then that is a control you use to stick to said budget.

I too infer the DOD drink special is more than a coupon - my friends who have cruised have said the neat thing about that drink is they load it down with alcohol, so from that point of view, it is the one drink with the most value. One mentioned that she and her hubby gained a headache after that drink, and that missing the show after dinner was a real consequence of finishing theirs. :p

We've used the drink coupons before ... I don't remember exactly how much the drinks are regular price, but I think basically you save the Gratuity (since it's included in the coupon).

Most drinks were included, but if you wanted something more expensive (ie DOD in souvenir glass) - they just charge the difference to your S&S.

They give them to you your first night at dinner in the MDR.

We liked them since it allowed us to budget for drinks, because you could always count how many you had left.

:)

The drink coupons include tip. If you were to pay for that $5.25 drink, it would actually cost you $6.04. But you only paid $21.25/4 = $5.31 for the coupon. So you saved $.73.

Taking out the tip on the $5.31 (5.31/1.15), a drink costing $4.62 will end up being $5.31 with tip. So as long as your drink of choice has a menu price of higher than $4.62, you're saving money (pennies, but it's still a savings). If it costs less than $4.62, you're losing money.

We bought some, and were asked to pay the difference EVERY time. I personally would not get them again, just because we had to carry them with us, and keep up with them. It was good to have some of our alcohol paid for before hand, but next time I think I will be getting the funship dollars, and putting them on my account. That seems to be much easier. They were pretty much only good on the DOD in the small glass (for us) we didn't drink anything else besides beer, and never used the coupons for that because we mainly got buckets.

Great point. I could easily see me forgetting those stupid coupons we paid for every time we go to the pool or show. Honestly, I'd probably lose money on the deal there... for me, now that you mention it, probably NOT worth it to save $0.90 on a drink...

Archived