Disabled 'young' mom wants to go snorkling...

oceanoffire17

Hello all!

My family and I are sailing to the Cayman Islands during the first week of July. We were planning on going snorkeling at one of the many beaches. My mom recently had her knee replaced, and cannot do any of the snorkeling places that involve using a ladder to get in or out of the water. She also cannot walk a mile or half a mile to the location.

Can anyone reccomend somewhere to go?

Thanks!

I suspect most of the regular tour boats will use a ladder to get in/out of the water for both snorkeling and the stingray tours. Mark and his wife "Mrs. Moby" from Moby Dick's Tours were very helpful and friendly when we used them last month - I'd e-mail them, explain your situation, and see if they could accomodate your Mom or suggest another option. Good luck!:)

Eden rock definitely requires climbing up and down a ladder, so that's probably out for you as well as the boat trips to the stingrays.

I know you are hoping to snorkel in Grand Cayman, but there may be friendlier options at one of your other ports. My son and I snorkeled at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, and that is accessible from shore. It is a bit rocky where you enter the water, and your Mom might need some help getting in and out, but there's no ladder to climb. I have read that the park is wheelchair accessible, so as long as you've rented a chair for your mom, that might be a possibility. Chankanaab (I'm probably spelling it wrong) is where the dolphin swims are held if you guys want to do that as well. I'd suggest booking that independently of the cruise line to save money and have more flexibility with your time. It was super easy for us to get a taxi to and from the park and I think the park fee was $16 when we went. They have a beach, pool, gift shop, restaurant, etc.

There is a forum here on the cruise critic boards that covers in greater detail disabled cruising and you should be able to get excellent information there as well. My son and I have cruised twice with my Mom and Dad, both with wheelchairs for anything more than a short walk. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found that forum!

Good Luck!

Lori

Archived