Icy strait point/Hoonah

airgunnerusn

What is the walking distance/time between Icy strait point and the village of Hoonah. I noticed on the Hoonah web site that there is a walking path between the two, but no distance or time info. While I'm thinking about walking, has any one walked the nature trail at Icy strait? Thanks for your answers.

We were there in June, 2008. Started down the nature trail- and the mosquitoes found us very quickly! We are used to mosquitoes in the early morning or at dusk when camping- but- not the middle of the day! Be prepared in Icy Strait! I would have loved to continue the walk- but daughter gets huge welts from bites- there were just too many to chance it!

We did walk down along the water's edge- were mosquito free there.

The walk into Hoonah doesn't take too long- it is along the road for the most part. There is a shuttle that you can take either one way or both ways (nice to know you can take it 1 way in case you tire out!).

-JC in CA

JC,

I'm curious about the shuttle -- is it a 'provided' by the cruise ship or is it a local enterprise? Do you remember how much it cost and where you can catch it? At 84 my mom MIGHT be able to do the walk but I'd like to be prepared in case she's not up to it the day we are there. We will be in ISP in May on the Pacific Princess and would really like to go to the village but don't find any of the ship's excursions appealing.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Happy sailing,

Becca

We were there in June, 2008. Started down the nature trail- and the mosquitoes found us very quickly! We are used to mosquitoes in the early morning or at dusk when camping- but- not the middle of the day! Be prepared in Icy Strait! I would have loved to continue the walk- but daughter gets huge welts from bites- there were just too many to chance it!

We did walk down along the water's edge- were mosquito free there.

The walk into Hoonah doesn't take too long- it is along the road for the most part. There is a shuttle that you can take either one way or both ways (nice to know you can take it 1 way in case you tire out!).

-JC in CA

I'm curious about the shuttle -- is it a 'provided' by the cruise ship or is it a local enterprise? Do you remember how much it cost and where you can catch it?

The shuttles into Hoonah run from the main parking area which is off to the right of the main building - it cost $2 last time I was there.

Last year the shuttles cost $5 for a round trip or one way. They have designated places around town where they pick people up and drop off. Shuttle makes it sound like a small vehicle, but it's a bus. I don't know if they'll stop when it's not a designated stop, probably depends on who is driving.

You will see the shuttle stop near the ships. I am pretty sure it is marked in Hoonah as well. My brother and family walked into Hoonah and took the shuttle back to the ship- had no problem finding it.

The walk to Honnah is on dirt/small pebbles as I remember it. Pretty flat. Definitely a walk!

enjoy your trip!

--JC in CA

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences and information -- I knew I could count on the friendly folk on these boards! Nice to know we have options and don't have to depend on organized tours to get into town.

Becca

When you get into Hoonah, be sure to stop at The Office Bar for the crab! It is a delightful place, full of locals who don't give a damn for tourists. You can basically get local crab and local beer and that is pretty much it. Lots of fun.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived