Need a hotel in Vancouver in June

With out some idea of your budget that is a tall order. However we have been reading of some terrific deals this year on Priceline...like 4* for just over $100 pn. If you want to try then look at Downtown-West and 4*. I recommned that you stay out of the Entertainment District.

It would appear that you are sailing on the Diamond Princess, lovely ship by the way, probably our favourite...so you will be departing from Canada Place which is located downtown and the better of the 2 Vancouver terminals. None of the downtown hotels are much further than a mile or so from CP. Hotels that we have seen pricing under $150 this season on Priceline include Westin Grand, Westin Bayshore Inn, Sutton Place and the Hyatt Regency. Sounds like you may need up to 6 rooms so I would also try to swing a deal at hotels like the Sandman on West Georgia, Blue Horizon on Robson St., Best Western-Downtown on Drake, Holliday Inn on Howe St. All of these are good properties and in good and safe locations.

This interactive map - link enclosed - will give you a good idea of where the various hotels are in comparison to Canada Place

Note that the Marriott Residence Inn is now Cascadia Hotel and Suites

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for a great map, this really helps see where all the hotels are located. We are trying to decide between Sutton Place and the Marriott Pinnacle, any thoughts on which would be a better choice? They both seem to be in excellent locations, and are rated high on trip advisor. If anyone has stayed at either of these hotels, any thoughts would be appreciated!

No opinion on which one is better but here is some information.

The Sutton Place is closer to the Robson Street shopping and eating establishments

Check out this link:

http://www.robsonstreet.ca/

While is Pinnacle is now within easy walking distance to Canada Place if you are cruising out of there.

With the new Convention Center walkway just a block away you can walk barrier free from the hotel to Canada Place in only a few minutes.

Some of the other locals on this board can probably give you a better idea of what it is like to actually stay at either of those properties.

Cheers

Dennis

I tend do agree with Ut, both are great locations and excellent properties. The locations for the reasons Ut has pointed out but I might lean towards the Marriott Pinnacle only because if you can get a high north facing room you will get some lovely views out over the harbour, the North Shore mountains and Stanely Park which is what Vancouver is all about. You will also get to see your ship come in in the morning about 6 to 6:30 am.:)

• 2 weeks later...

You will be sailing out of Ballantyne Pier which is our secondary terminal located in the industrial part of the port - there are no hotels near the Pier so you will need to stay in the main downtown core - don't know of any hotels offering shuttles to Ballantyne but it is only about 2 miles from the core and about a $10 - $15CDN taxi fare.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Our downtown core is fairly compact - only about 1.5 miles square so nothing is really too far away - downtown west generally refers as far as Priceline and Hotwire are concerned to those hotels that are west of Granville St.

Granville Street is our Entertainment district - about 20 drinking establishment in a three or four block area - there are a number of older updated hotels along the strip by Best Western, Ramada, Harold Johnson's, Comfort Inn while lower in price tend to be noisier because of the street level noise and the larger crowds that mingle until 3 - 4AM in the morning especially on weekends or like right now after hockey games.

Here's a link to an inter-active map of the downtown core - Ballantyne Pier would be off of the right of the map.

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

A couple of hotels that are reasonably well priced by Vancouver standards are the Best Western Downtown - NOT the Best Western Chateau Granville - the Blue Horizon on Robson, Days Inn on Pender.

Hope this helps - if you find a couple of hotels that you think you might like - post them - there are a number of locals who have actually stayed at some of these properties and can give better advice than I can.

Cheers

Dennis

Has anyone stayed at the Vancouver Ramada Limited?, which has a shuttle service to the hotel from the airport. The price was very reasonable and the reviews were average. How far is it from the Ballantyne port?

It is a remodel of a much older hotel and with some of these re-do's you have to wonder how much attention is given to mechanical systems such as HVAC and plumbing. That said it is in a safe area, you can walk to most places and certainly will be ok for a night pre cruise. You will be about 1 1/2 miles to Ballantyne and the only way to get there will be by cab at a cost of <$15. You may want to check Priceline.com as lots of people have been getting great 4* hotels at between $100-$150 for this cruise season.

thanks for the information, I will not be there until Sept. so I have time to decide. What is the address of the Ramada, I saw one in Richmond, but said it is about 8 miles from Balleytine pier.

The Ramada downtown is in the 400 block of W. Pender the one out in Richmond by the airport is a much newer facility. The Richmond one will take about 35 mins to get to Ballantyne pier and cost about $35 by cab. The Airporter shuttle does not go to Ballantyne so your only option is cab.

Someone on another thread reported a 48 hour sale for Sutton Place

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=963052

Of course we missed this sale because by the time we decided to stay at Sutton Place the 48 hours were long over! If this type of sale or promotion comes around again, please let us know and next time I will be a little quicker in booking our hotel :)

The tourist market here in Vancouver appears to be soft at the moment - why not phone the hotel and see if they may still honor that deal - a booked room is revenue and unbooked room is not producing any revenue - they may offer you something else that will be close to the deal that you miss.

Cheers

Dennis

I would agree with Ut, give them a call, people are not travelling this year for the obvious reason and there are huge deals out there right now. They may be full for the night(s) you want but if you don't ask you won't get.;)

Of course we missed this sale because by the time we decided to stay at Sutton Place the 48 hours were long over! If this type of sale or promotion comes around again, please let us know and next time I will be a little quicker in booking our hotel :)

I get weekly emails from Travelzoo. One of the hotels on sale this week is Sutton Place.

See: http://ca.deals.travelzoo.com/canada-hotels/

Don't know what dates you're looking for - hope it works for you.

Please note that the hotel must be booked by tomorrow.

People are still getting a great price on Hotwire for the Sutton. Look for the 5 star with the golf symbol.

Archived