Norovirus on Braemar

Several suspected cases on board during our cruise 19/3 - 2/4. Not the fault of FO, they do sanitise your hands on entering dining areas, except Palms Cafe which has 2 entrances so anyone coming in from the 'deck' areas can just waltz in - probably should fix that by leaving a sanitising bottle near the coffee/tea area, might encourage a few at least. I saw MANY people come in that way and go straight up to the 'afternoon tea' buffet!

All reported cases were confined to their cabin for 48 hours, sadly I know of several who didn't bring it to the attention of the ship's doctor so they could avoid being confined. Quite happy to just wander about touching things and people, gaily passing it on. Those who did report it had any cancelled excursion costs refunded and were promised a 'money off' voucher for a future cruise.

We ALWAYS take a good probiotic when going on hols (doubt it helps with norovirus but certainly doesn't hurt), clean our hands with wet wipes when we get outside after we've used a local loo, even though we've washed them. Always use them before we eat any packed lunch or at local restaurant. Have a small bottle of Superdrug anti-bacterial wash as well, just for good measure if we feel it's necessary.

FO do what they can to help but it's also up to you to help yourself. They do advise using a tissue to open the outer door of the toilets once hands are washed (there is usually a box fixed to the wall). Bit of a technique necessary but best to master it. I don't unconciously use handrails when coming up/down stairs unless the ship is unstable. Be aware that it's up to you to keep your hands as clean as possible, the person in front of you won't be considering your health so it's up to you.

I can't really blame people who were ill for not reporting it, who wants to be stuck in their cabin, but just remember YOU WILL BE PASSING IT ON TO OTHERS, you are contagious for 48 hrs after your symptoms have passed. :eek:

I agree with you self help is the best option, i take the same bacterial wash as well. Yes Freds ships do all to minamize. Its the mindless few who dont adere to the spray. My Hubby came out in a rash on his hand still the whole cruise he didnt jump the spray. All cleared when we got home.

"Several cases" is far from the noro virus that rages through the ships at times. I think you may often get isolated incidents that could easily be caused by infections picked up on shore trips. I once had this after eating a piece of sugar cane on a trip in a Caribbean island, and another from a salad in a outside cafe in Malta.

And of course you do wonder at times how some folk live at home when you see their toilet hygene on board.

David.

I try and use the cabin toilet as much as possible rather than the public facilities. I really don't know if it helps but it can't hurt. A few cases (out of what, a 1000 passengers?) is probably not far off the normal land based suffer rate when you add in rich food and a tad more alcohol than normal.

"Several cases" is far from the noro virus that rages through the ships at times. I think you may often get isolated incidents that could easily be caused by infections picked up on shore trips. I once had this after eating a piece of sugar cane on a trip in a Caribbean island, and another from a salad in a outside cafe in Malta.

And of course you do wonder at times how some folk live at home when you see their toilet hygene on board.

David.

Yes some people leave toilets in a disgusting state, mmm makes you wonder how they live at home. Also i agree about going ashore with infections,

Of course "several cases" is miniscule compared to the number of passengers. Will never actually know how many more unreported cases there were which may significantly bump up the numbers of course!

However, it must be said that perhaps FO are one of the few cruise lines who don't try and hide exactly why you must sanitise your hands before dining, and openly encourage you to "wash your hands" before exiting the toilets and advise the use of a tissue to open the outer door (to protect you from the dirty pig who doesn't know what the tap and soap are for).

Sadly, all too many of the unreported cases use the useful excuse that it was too much drink, too much sun, different food etc so they can justify carrying on as normal and spreading it round to everyone else, avoiding 48 hours of cabin confinement. We found out someone on our dinner table had had "a bit of an upset tummy" a few days earlier. Not that we'd have moved tables, but I might skipped sharing the bread basket!

In the departures queue for the FO Thomson charter home, the guy in front said he'd been one of the 'sickies' and had to spend his 48 hours confined. As we spoke his wife was in the loo vomiting and with the trots. Came back white as a sheet, sweating and shaking, clearly unwell. I don't blame them for saying nothing to check-in staff but I do wonder how many people used the plane loos who now have Norovirus as well.

10 out of 10 to FO for doing their best to contain it.

I was struck down with the dreaded last May on a Thompson cruise, ill for 6 days confined to cabin for the whole cruise, also my wife who was not ill. Holiday a complete washout for the both of us. Glad to get off and home to fully recover, no compensation offered they determined it as an air bourne virus not their fault !! Cruising on the Braemar in July first time with FO, will be doing all I can to keep myself and others from infection, but it only takes dirty devil to take many down.

Sparrowlegs - I'd try again for the compensation. FO's info which came with our tickets specifically says "Norovirus is highly contagious and easily spread by direct person-to-person contact". "As the viral particles are able to survive for long periods in the environment, the illness can be spread via contact with surfaces such as handrails, doorknobs, elevator buttons or by sharing food, water or eating utensils".

Shame on Thomson for not recognising that you helped contain it by remaining confined to your cabin. FO at least offered vouchers off a future cruise to 'contaminated' passengers and reimbursed them for any excursions they were forced to cancel.

Sparrowlegs - I'd try again for the compensation. FO's info which came with our tickets specifically says "Norovirus is highly contagious and easily spread by direct person-to-person contact". "As the viral particles are able to survive for long periods in the environment, the illness can be spread via contact with surfaces such as handrails, doorknobs, elevator buttons or by sharing food, water or eating utensils".

Shame on Thomson for not recognising that you helped contain it by remaining confined to your cabin. FO at least offered vouchers off a future cruise to 'contaminated' passengers and reimbursed them for any excursions they were forced to cancel.

And I would add that the fact that your wife, who presumably was in extremely close contact whilst you were both incarcerated, did not catch it, thus indicating that it is not airborne. After tests, the outbreak of Noro at The Fat Duck in Bray was proved to be caused by staff carrying the virus - this always seems to me to be the most likely route on a cruise ship, whatever the cruiselines say.

Mary

Did you see the shot of the Fat Duck chefs returning to work after the place was reopened, dressed in their kitchen gear straight off the street!!

Certainly the galley could be one obvious cause of problems, and hand rails the other main one I think. And many people are so often rubbing round their faces with their hands, so taking the infection straight in by the favoured entry point.

Let the filthy pigs catch what they want, if we are vigilant we should all be able to stay healthy on board.

David.

if we are vigilant we should all be able to stay healthy on board.

David.

What - give up eating for a couple of weeks, as if it is a staff member who is a little lacking on the hygiene front, that's the only way of avoiding it:eek:.

I'll take my chances...

Mary

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I did submit another claim with Thompson as they now have a legal department in house,got a reply today, I again put a very good case forward, but alas the same result. The bottom line being I cannot prove they were at fault, no mention of my wife, although unaffected confined to our cabin for 6 days also. I have decided to take my claim to the small claims court.

What - give up eating for a couple of weeks, as if it is a staff member who is a little lacking on the hygiene front, that's the only way of avoiding it:eek:.

I'll take my chances...

Mary

Mary, Mary, please don't even think about a cruise without eating, though it would be a good gimick to run one themed "The diet cruise" where everyone is served nuts (3 per day) and no fat yogert. Mind you when I see some "substantial" passenger staggering back to their table in the self service with an overflowing plate I do often think "do you think that is really wise"

Seriously, it's worth remembering that if you suspect that you have had a dodgy meal, mention it to your waiter. They will do an investigation and you will have a better chance of compensation later.

David.

Archived