lighter in pocket.

bossmum1

We are on the count down to our North cape cruise in June. Payed the balance yesterday a week early so its beans on toast now, Taxi booked hair nail appointments booked just playing the waiting game tick tock on count down yippee.

We are on the count down to our North cape cruise in June. Payed the balance yesterday a week early so its beans on toast now, Taxi booked hair nail appointments booked just playing the waiting game tick tock on count down yippee.

We went to the North Cape on Balmoral August last year. Lovey trip.

We went to the North Cape on Balmoral August last year. Lovey trip.

I am looking forward to it. the scenery fab hope the weather is good, heard it can be very cold in June. loL You will have to tell me about it what clothes you took and best places to visit.

Where are you stopping and I'd be pleased to tell you what we did and what we learned for a next time!

Thank you that would be great, im so excited already lol. off the top of my head Bergen Alesund Troms Oslo etc. other places excape me unless i look them up.

Chrissy:)

OK.This is what we did (we had children 10 and 12 with us) :

Alesund : Lovely clear day so walked through the town and up the steepsteps to the viewing area over Alesund and the ship. Take water with you - you need it, and they charge per glass at the top! Probably only worth doing if a clear day.

Trondheim : Walked the town, watched people falling off the bike lift, walked up to Kristiansand Fort, took lots of pictures of the coloured houses lining the river.

Tromso : We were here on a Sunday and visited the Polaria Centre. The film was good but the rest a bit of a damp squib. Enjoyed the shuttle trip into town - underground roundabouts! We sort of wish now that we had gone to see the huskies on the ships trip but it was quite expensive for four of us so we hadn't booked. There is a cable car here and a arctic cathedral but it was on the other side of town and we didn't get there.

Honningsvag : Our fave place. We hit the ice bar on our own before everyone else did and then went on our booked trip to the fishing villages. Weather was perfect, literally, and we had a wonderful view of reindeer and the North Cape as well. We chose not to do the North Cape trip due to wanting to give the children lots of interest (we live in a fishing village ourselves so it was good for them to see and compare/contrast).

Leknes : Nothing to do in town and a bit foggy so not a lot to sightsee either. Wished we had booked a trip.

Bergen : Interesting city - market, old town and we also went up the funicular. My children don't like shopping so we decided to walk back down instead. Took a long time but was nice to have a long walk after so much food.

Geiranger : Tender to shore. Big toursit shop and a lovely waterfall. I took lots of pictures there and it was really restful just taking in the scenery. However, if that doesn't inspire you, that was pretty much all there was to do there if you don't book a trip.

Eidfjord : We walked again here taking a lot of photographs. Small village/town. Very picturesque. Interesting houses with lawn on their roof.

Apart from the first and last sea day we were in sight of land all the time. We saw so much from the ship. The Fjords. Black glacier (stopped there for our meal and the Captain swung the ship around so everyone had a view at dinner!). Good fun party at the Arctic Circle. Whales were spotted twice -Minky and Killer. Going under some of the bridges was really hairy (my daughter stayed on Highland Deck but I just coudn't- I couldn't see how we would manage to miss them!) We also went around the North Cape because it was so calm - we could almost touch the land we were so close!

You'll have a fabulous time!

Clothes - we took layers and each had one very warm jumper and a raincoat. We actually had 10 degrees and beautiful sunshine at the Cape but that can't be guaranteed. We had less good weather in the Fjords, so it swings in roundabouts. We had rain only in Bergen (doesn't everyone?) teh rest of our holiday was dry and I couldn't believe it when people told us how bad the rain was here (last August).

Thank you for sharing your trip with me, all sounds wonderful cannot wait. I am hoping to see the huskies, and the water tip really good idea, You said shops yippee, poor hubby lol, i will let him choose a trip so he wont be left out, mind you he loves to shop when its boys toys etc. As a smoker he will want to buy baccy. tutt, but hey he can get that aboard ship. A couple of places you said we arnt going too.

I think i will need to check my clothes really well so i take the right clothes, i hate being cold brrrr. It would be cool to see whales and get pics better still video them.

Geiranger : Tender to shore. Big toursit shop and a lovely waterfall. I took lots of pictures there and it was really restful just taking in the scenery. However, if that doesn't inspire you, that was pretty much all there was to do there if you don't book a trip.

Kez, I have to disagree with you about Geiranger. My wife, son and myself did a little research and realised how much wonderful walking country there was just up the road. We tendered in and then spent the next few hours just walking in beautiful countryside. Without our son (just 5) we'd of made it up to some wonderful waterfalls, the end result of which is probably 'your' waterfall, but as it was we made it high up the side of the fjord, and turned round at a wonderful farm / tea house.

For us, the beauty of the fjords was the scenery, and Gerianger was actually the only place we felt able to get among it.

Many of the walks start up the hill from where the cruise ships are, we'd strongly recommend a taxi up it, it'll just save time and energy, and the footpaths are poor.

Kez, I have to disagree with you about Geiranger. My wife, son and myself did a little research and realised how much wonderful walking country there was just up the road. We tendered in and then spent the next few hours just walking in beautiful countryside. Without our son (just 5) we'd of made it up to some wonderful waterfalls, the end result of which is probably 'your' waterfall, but as it was we made it high up the side of the fjord, and turned round at a wonderful farm / tea house.

For us, the beauty of the fjords was the scenery, and Gerianger was actually the only place we felt able to get among it.

Many of the walks start up the hill from where the cruise ships are, we'd strongly recommend a taxi up it, it'll just save time and energy, and the footpaths are poor.

Fair enough. Good you found out more to do. I also adored the scenery.

• 3 weeks later...

We went further north a couple of years ago, in August and went to Spitzbergen and had fabulous weather, the closer we go to the North Pole obviously the colder it got, but it was a fresh cold, really crisp and clear and dry not damp and wet and misty. I certainly agree with the layering method as far as clothing goes. We had 4 days and nights of almost pure daylight - wonderful to experience this but glad to get back to normal dark nights as difficult to sleep at times even with the curtains shut! Really enjoyed the scenery and wildlife we saw.

We have booked a inside cabin so no windows but hey i dont sleep too well so it wont make much differance. I am getting really excited now as the days are passing, all my clothes sorted well i think they are lol.

Chrissy

We did the North Cape on the Oriana June 07, Weather was varied, sunny and warm going up, misty in the mornings till about 11am in the Fjords, but when the sun did break through the scenery was stunning. We did a trip to the glacier at Olden well worth it, nothing else there except walk into the village.Trondheim you can walk your self around. Tromso we caught a bus in the town which took us up to the cable car and artic cathedral, well worth a visit. Weather getting colder now and we had snow blowing off the mountain when at the top of the cable car, fabulous veiw from the top. Our Honningsvag trip was cancelled due to bad weather couldn't tender in due to rough seas, a dissapointment after going all that way. Bergan was wet as usuall but still plenty to see and do on your own.Very windy back to port at Sothampton. You are in for a treat, be sure to pack a fleace you may be glad of it, hopfully not. We are cruising with FO for the first time in July on the Braemar hopfully to the sunshine.

We did the North Cape on the Oriana June 07, Weather was varied, sunny and warm going up, misty in the mornings till about 11am in the Fjords, but when the sun did break through the scenery was stunning. We did a trip to the glacier at Olden well worth it, nothing else there except walk into the village.Trondheim you can walk your self around. Tromso we caught a bus in the town which took us up to the cable car and artic cathedral, well worth a visit. Weather getting colder now and we had snow blowing off the mountain when at the top of the cable car, fabulous veiw from the top. Our Honningsvag trip was cancelled due to bad weather couldn't tender in due to rough seas, a dissapointment after going all that way. Bergan was wet as usuall but still plenty to see and do on your own.Very windy back to port at Sothampton. You are in for a treat, be sure to pack a fleace you may be glad of it, hopfully not. We are cruising with FO for the first time in July on the Braemar hopfully to the sunshine.

What ever the weather it wil be fine by me hubby will moan but he will get over it im sure. HOPE YOU ENJOY Fo braemar, let me know what you think we are hoping to try Boudicca next year, FO ship have the family freindly atmosphere the staff are wonderful.

Chrissy.

Archived