Letter Sent to Carnival!!!!!

gargarjo

[quote name='Kurbanfan']I disagree! It should be the cruise lines responsiblity.......[/quote]

I really hope this was sarcasm. Not sure. I work in a hotel, 236 rooms. not as big as a cruise ship, but enough. It's an atrium style hotel. I am the front desk manager, and not a babysitter. I'm very quick to call the parents and let them know that if their kids are "loose" in my hotel then they have about five minutes to wrangle them before the police do. While the parents may be too intoxicated to watch their children, I am still not the babysitter.

Ok sorry, off my soapbox now. That just really strikes a chord with me... :o

[quote name='figs']You are EXACTLY what is wrong with this board. EXACTLY. The OP came back to clear up that he did, in fact, want to alert Carnival to those problems with its service. I think most of us on here agree that service seems to have taken a blow, whether big or small is up to opinion, lately. He also responded to allegations that he didn't take it up with the purser's desk. And finally, he let us know that they DID make the best of it, like everyone was telling him to. Did you address any of that? No. You saw a naughty word and decided to make it your ENTIRE response to his post.

I saw NOTHING out of line with his response - language aside (which I don't personally have a problem with, and obviously he didn't know the rules). And yet you decided to [U]mock[/U] him, and tell him to leave---"take your problem..where it belongs". Umm...isn't this CC? This IS exactly where it belongs, no?

Ugh. A bit disgusted right now.[/QUOTE]

figs, You are right about this one. Most of the "Carnivangelists" will be blasting away at anyone who says a less than flattering word about Carnival. They just like to complain about complaining, which makes them what they most hate.

[quote name='ausofte']Wow, I didn't read every single post, but I'm surprised this post is still going. I know my post has been quoted a few times, I just want to make sure I'm not being misunderstood.

I think there are appropriate things to write complaint letters about, and many of these are not some of them.

If you find hair in the food, you need to complain immediately. A letter after the fact, even if you also complained on the ship, is pointless.

If the water breaks, maybe write a letter if you feel you deserve compensation, but just generally complaining without demand for compensation, is unnecessary. I assure you the maintenance on board had a much much worse day than you had. They did what they could to fix it as soon as possible.

Lack of coffee in the buffet during the busiest time of day happens. A letter is not appropriate. Ask staff for more coffee, wait a reasonable amount of time. If they never replenish the coffee, then complain again on the ship. Writing a letter afterwards doesn't accomplish anything.

See what I'm saying? A complaint letter should be done for specific, preventable, unreasonable harms for which you feel you should be compensated. Do not email them; send them to a specific person by snail mail, in a professional manner.

For the minor annoyances, put them on the complaint card, let the customer service desk know [B]during[/B] the cruise, go up the chain of command, etc. But a letter, after the fact, is not appropriate. That is for serious harms worthy of compensation.[/QUOTE]

...Or why not let the offended party decide who, what, when, where and how they wish to write a letter of complaint and/or praise. Maybe it's not your call. :)

[quote name='Kurbanfan']When we sailed on the Spirit in 2005 we were constantly running out of clean towels.....I kept having to hunt the steward down. I was pissed to no end. But of course you probably don't believe me:D[/QUOTE]

Kurb, Sorry I don't believe you, there has never been a time when a Carnival Ship has run out of towels, you are just trying to get a free cruise aren't you. I'm on to your game. Why can't you take responsibility for the lack of towels? ...and don't you dare write a letter to complain about it either. ;)
BTW, I'm practicing to be a "Carnivangelist". ;)

I have read through this threead.......very interesting!! And just what I have been wondering about the past few days??? We just returned from our annual spring break cruise on the Navigator of the Seas....had a fantastic time! We have only cruised on RCCL before....7 times now. I was just checking out cruises for next year...have always considered trying Carnival but just have not gone there as of yet.....was looking at a few yesterday and the prices were definitely better than RCCL but am not sure if I want to try it???? We have 3 kids 16, 14, and 12.....they have always just liked the activities on RCCLl....but i'm sure they would be happy just being on a cruise!! Is saving the $$ worth switching cruise lines?

[quote name='tedjazz']...Or why not let the offended party decide who, what, when, where and how they wish to write a letter of complaint and/or praise. Maybe it's not your call. :)[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for a list of appropriate things we can complain about.

[quote name='Nunu']I was hoping for a list of appropriate things we can complain about.[/QUOTE]

I think that "List" is being prepared and will be introduced shortly, but some of us are already on another kind of "List" prepared by the Carnivangalists. OH Well ;)

[quote name='Familyforce6']Man.....the hair in the food has to be the worst you stated!!! That freaks me out really bad. Just imagine all the hairs we don't see but consume!:eek: [/quote]

That kind of stuff is just one of the MANY things in life that I choose NOT to think about...:eek::rolleyes:

[quote name='tedjazz']I think that "List" is being prepared and will be introduced shortly, but some of us are already on another kind of "List" prepared by the Carnivangalists. ;)[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/snf0n6.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='Dpeeps'] Is saving the $$ worth switching cruise lines?[/QUOTE]

It's definitely worth at least TRYING a new cruise line.

I love Carnival, always have...but I have loved every line I have sailed as well, all for different reasons.
You won't know until you TRY it [I]yourself.[/I] I think, like many others, you may be pleasantly surprised at how wonderful Carnival is :)

My vote is YES! the money saved is well worth trying Carnival.

[quote name='Dpeeps']I have read through this threead.......very interesting!! And just what I have been wondering about the past few days??? We just returned from our annual spring break cruise on the Navigator of the Seas....had a fantastic time! We have only cruised on RCCL before....7 times now. I was just checking out cruises for next year...have always considered trying Carnival but just have not gone there as of yet.....was looking at a few yesterday and the prices were definitely better than RCCL but am not sure if I want to try it???? We have 3 kids 16, 14, and 12.....they have always just liked the activities on RCCLl....but i'm sure they would be happy just being on a cruise!! Is saving the $$ worth switching cruise lines?[/QUOTE]

You will notice a very different experience between the two lines. I am not here to say for you it's better or worse, but in my experience RCCL was a better overall experience. Keep your expectations low and then you probably won't be disappointed. Happy Cruisin' :)

I find it 'telling' and extremely odd that some who are extreme, even obsessive about bashing Carnival, should spend all of their board time chastising Carnival fans for any non-negative posting. It demonstrates a level of frustration and irrationality that is unimaginable to............almost everybody else. Most of the Carnival FANS also complain about things they do not like on the line. But since that does not fit their preconceived notions, the bashers are blind to such posts.
Do some negative posters get flamed?? Sure they do.
Do some positive posters get flamed too? Sure they do, just read this mindless thread.
It is the Internet. The same happens on every other cruiseline board. EVERY other board of ANY kind that I have seen.
Right or wrong?????? Doesn't matter, it IS reality and it will not change.

Dan

[quote name='Dpeeps']I have read through this threead.......very interesting!! And just what I have been wondering about the past few days??? We just returned from our annual spring break cruise on the Navigator of the Seas....had a fantastic time! We have only cruised on RCCL before....7 times now. I was just checking out cruises for next year...have always considered trying Carnival but just have not gone there as of yet.....was looking at a few yesterday and the prices were definitely better than RCCL but am not sure if I want to try it???? We have 3 kids 16, 14, and 12.....they have always just liked the activities on RCCLl....but i'm sure they would be happy just being on a cruise!! Is saving the $$ worth switching cruise lines?[/quote]

I think it depends on how important saving money is to you and how much money you will be saving. I don't think Carnival is for everybody. I would think that there is more for a 14 and 16-year old to do on sea days on RCCL than on Carnival. At those ages, kids don't populate the kids camps. Carnival just doesn't have a lot for kids that age on sea days. There is one massive pool area and it is very congested and the Liberty has two small pools there. RCCL seems to have more for teens to do. You can say that your kids will be happy to be on a cruise. But you want to make sure that there are things for them to do.

We had great times on both of our Liberty cruises. Harry's, the specialty restaurant is top rate. The gym is nice. Dinners in the main dining room are very good (better than what he had on RCCL). The value is also there. The cabins and balcony areas compare favorably with RCCL. Outdoor movie screens are also a nice touch on the newer ships. I also find that I like Carnival's itineraries better than RCCL's. The negatives (and this is just my perspective) include a ship full of bright lights Vegas style, a very congested central pool area, not much entertainment to speak of other than the broadway reviews until about 10 pm, and a substandard buffet (especially when you compare it the very nice Windjammer on RCCL).

[quote name='dan40']I find it 'telling' and extremely odd that some who are extreme, even obsessive about bashing Carnival, should spend all of their board time chastising Carnival fans for any non-negative posting. It demonstrates a level of frustration and irrationality that is unimaginable to............almost everybody else. Most of the Carnival FANS also complain about things they do not like on the line. But since that does not fit their preconceived notions, the bashers are blind to such posts.
Do some positive posters get flamed too? Sure they do, just read this mindless thread.
It is the Internet. The same happens on every other cruiseline board. EVERY other board of ANY kind that I have seen.

Dan[/QUOTE]

What's your point Dan? The arguement goes the other way too.
I find it 'telling' and extremely odd that some who are extreme, even obsessive about "Cheering" Carnival, should spend all of their board time chastising "people questioning" Carnivals Customer Servce and/or Business Practices. It demonstrates a level of frustration and irrationality or maybe it's Myopia that is unimaginable to......almost all rational people. Most people questioning or complaining about Carnival have preconcieved notions about recieving a competent level of service and reasonable responses to their questions, inquiries and complaints.
Do ALL negative posters get flamed?? All of the time.
Do positive posters get flamed?? I'll let the readers decide for themselves, but I don't see it.
Right or Wrong????? Doesn't matter, it IS what it is!!!

[quote name='GWoman8920']I really hope this was sarcasm. Not sure. I work in a hotel, 236 rooms. not as big as a cruise ship, but enough. It's an atrium style hotel. I am the front desk manager, and not a babysitter. [B]I'm very quick to call the parents and let them know that if their kids are "loose" in my hotel then they have about five minutes to wrangle them before the police do. [/B]While the parents may be too intoxicated to watch their children, I am still not the babysitter.

Ok sorry, off my soapbox now. That just really strikes a chord with me... :o[/quote]

By you doing this (although it should not be your responsiblity) it shows your hotel is taking responsiblity to keep their customers happy and safe.........it really is not alot to ask from the cruise lines....
Some cruise lines do have youth security.......

[quote name='dan40']I find it 'telling' and extremely odd that some who are extreme, even obsessive about bashing Carnival, should spend all of their board time chastising Carnival fans for any non-negative posting. It demonstrates a level of frustration and irrationality that is unimaginable to............almost everybody else. Most of the Carnival FANS also complain about things they do not like on the line. But since that does not fit their preconceived notions, the bashers are blind to such posts.

Dan[/QUOTE]

I think I liked it better when you were "Berating" yourself (your words not mine) instead of the posters that don't agree with your point of view.
If the "Letter Sent to Carnival" thread and the posters that choose to voice their opinion, about Carnival, in less than glowing terms, why not ignore the whole dang thread and move along to one that meets your criteria for being topic worthy. It would be less frustrating for you and thousands of others. JHMO

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by KarenMF View Post
I was on the Liberty last year during Spring Break and I was not disappointed in any way.
[/QUOTE]
[quote name='dan40']I was on the Valor for spring break last year. The pool and deck areas were packed with college girls in tiny bikinis. My wife thought it was awful..............I think. I wasn't really paying attention.:rolleyes:

Dan[/QUOTE]

Ummm - *I* wasn't looking at bikinis.....there were plenty of other sights, though that wasn't what I was originally referring to ;) I truly just meant that I had a great time on the Liberty last year :)

[quote name='Dpeeps']I have read through this thread.......very interesting!! And just what I have been wondering about the past few days??? We just returned from our annual spring break cruise on the Navigator of the Seas....had a fantastic time! We have only cruised on RCCL before....7 times now. I was just checking out cruises for next year...have always considered trying Carnival but just have not gone there as of yet.....was looking at a few yesterday and the prices were definitely better than RCCL but am not sure if I want to try it???? We have 3 kids 16, 14, and 12.....they have always just liked the activities on RCCLl....but i'm sure they would be happy just being on a cruise!! Is saving the $$ worth switching cruise lines?[/quote]

I like Carnival cruises.
I have not had any notable problems with service on the ships in 6 Carnival cruises.
And I do think that Carnival provides good value.
There is no way that I would be able to cruise with DH, three college age kids, and their companions if it was not an affordable product. When footing the bill for 3 or 4 cabins then price does become a big factor.

However, I mostly like to sit in a deck chair, look at the ocean, read a good book, talk with the DH, watch people and walk.
I don't enjoy their shows, but the sunsets are killer and I adore standing out on deck feeling the wind in my hair.
I don't swim in their pool, but love the beach in Coz...and when I cruise with one of those great looking new slides, then I am sliding...love good water slides.
The supper club sounds a bit like overkill to me as there is already way too much food.

I love the PVP that we have been working with for 5 years.
She knows us and she understands what we are looking for in a cruise.

All that said, I had one really annoying problem to work out with their customer service folks and it should have been a simple fix, but somehow they just did not have it together.
Truthfully, their customer service department really needs an extreme makeover...but fortunately things don't go wonky that often, so dealing with Customer Service is the exception.

So, for me, it kind of comes down to you pay your money and you take your choice.

[quote name='tedjazz']Do ALL negative posters get flamed?? All of the time.
[/quote]

I have to disagree, Ted. I can speak from personal experience - I've been pretty vocal about Carnival's cutbacks from entertainment to staff and have yet to be flamed for it.

[quote name='vacruizer']I have to disagree, Ted. I can speak from personal experience - I've been pretty vocal about Carnival's cutbacks from entertainment to staff and have yet to be flamed for it.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll amend my statement..."All the time, except in your case". To be honest, I've never seen you complain about anything. Hmmm, I guess I'm not paying attention. ;)

[quote name='tedjazz']OK, I'll amend my statement..."All the time, except in your case". To be honest, I've never seen you complain about anything. Hmmm, I guess I'm not paying attention. ;)[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll retract my amendment regarding vacruiser's statement. It would appear after a brief peruse of many of that person's posts there are no complaints about anything related to entertainment or staff and in reality would be considered a "cheerleader" or as the new term has been coined, a "Carnivangelist". Praise the Captain. Good Try....

[quote name='tedjazz']I guess I'll retract my amendment regarding vacruiser's statement. It would appear after a brief peruse of many of that person's posts there are no complaints about anything related to entertainment or staff and in reality would be considered a "cheerleader" or as the new term has been coined, a "Carnivangelist". Praise the Captain. Good Try....[/quote]

Umm ok - you might want to check out post 41 in this thread where I talked about some of them. If you simply look at my last 20 posts or something like that - then, no you won't see all complaints because the vast majority of what I do around here is chat on my roll call or answer questions where I can help someone. I'm not interested in complaining constantly. I do believe in an honest approach and giving criticism where due. I've mentioned many times since last July our unhappines with Carnival's staff cuts, the lesser service in the dining room we've been getting, and the horrible room steward we had last year. I've also been pretty upset at Carnival's entertainment cuts - no classical or jazz anymore and diminished sizes of several other bands around the ship. I also think it's crappy that they aren't serving food at the Captain's party any more.

There are many of us who take the middle of the road approach but since we aren't constantly complaining we blend into the background. BTW - I'm on your side in this issue - I was trying to defend the OPs letter which I think was well written and reasonable.

[quote name='vacruizer']Umm ok - you might want to check out post 41 in this thread where I talked about some of them. If you simply look at my last 20 posts or something like that - then, no you won't see all complaints because the vast majority of what I do around here is chat on my roll call or answer questions where I can help someone. I'm not interested in complaining constantly. I do believe in an honest approach and giving criticism where due. I've mentioned many times since last July our unhappines with Carnival's staff cuts, the lesser service in the dining room we've been getting, and the horrible room steward we had last year. I've also been pretty upset at Carnival's entertainment cuts - no classical or jazz anymore and diminished sizes of several other bands around the ship. I also think it's crappy that they aren't serving food at the Captain's party any more.

There are many of us who take the middle of the road approach but since we aren't constantly complaining we blend into the background. BTW - I'm on your side in this issue - I was trying to defend the OPs letter which I think was well written and reasonable.[/QUOTE]

OK, Fair Enough, I did look back about 100 or so posts and didn't read each one word for word, but I really didn't see much if any complaining. I too think the OP's letter was well written and reasonable and should expect a decent response from Carnival. Many here don't believe the OP even has the right to complain. Have a Nice Easter. :)

[quote name='vacruizer']Umm ok - you might want to check out post 41 in this thread where I talked about some of them. If you simply look at my last 20 posts or something like that - then, no you won't see all complaints because the vast majority of what I do around here is chat on my roll call or answer questions where I can help someone. I'm not interested in complaining constantly. I do believe in an honest approach and giving criticism where due. I've mentioned many times since last July our unhappines with Carnival's staff cuts, the lesser service in the dining room we've been getting, and the horrible room steward we had last year. I've also been pretty upset at Carnival's entertainment cuts - no classical or jazz anymore and diminished sizes of several other bands around the ship. I also think it's crappy that they aren't serving food at the Captain's party any more.

There are many of us who take the middle of the road approach but since we aren't constantly complaining we blend into the background. BTW - I'm on your side in this issue - I was trying to defend the OPs letter which I think was well written and reasonable.[/quote]

Why argue with someone that has no intelligent point to make. Those that cannot see what they do not wish to see, believe in the fantasy that it does not exist if they don't see it. No matter how clear or obvious, they are mentally blinded to inconvenient facts.
Perhaps the mods might accommodate with a "Carnival bitch board!" And the Carnival bashers could wallow there.

No one on this board has been more outspoken than I about Carnival's HORRIBLE lack of rule enforcement. If they are going to have rules, enforce them, or do away with them. In dress codes, they did exactly that. They bowed to the lowest common denominator. They easy way out. I have not cruised Carnival since they wimped out and went to 'elegant nite' and I don't know that I will. I'm looking at booking some cruises now,and I have not included Carnival in my research.Yet I'm a cheerleader. Mainly for constantly saying we only have the posters side of the story. And in my life experience, that has never once been wholly accurate.
I've also complained about Carnival's dining room beef. The inept singing & dancing waiters. The red white and blue team nonsense. And the cutback in dining room waiters. But asking all to consider the OTHER side of a story makes me a Cheerleader to the mentally blinded.

You might be best served using the ignore feature. Although, so many use the "quote? feature that I still see many posts not worth reading.

Dan

[quote name='dan40']Why argue with someone that has no intelligent point to make. Those that cannot see what they do not wish to see, believe in the fantasy that it does not exist if they don't see it. No matter how clear or obvious, they are mentally blinded to inconvenient facts.
Perhaps the mods might accommodate with a "Carnival bitch board!" And the Carnival bashers could wallow there.

No one on this board has been more outspoken than I about Carnival's HORRIBLE lack of rule enforcement. If they are going to have rules, enforce them, or do away with them. In dress codes, they did exactly that. They bowed to the lowest common denominator. They easy way out. I have not cruised Carnival since they wimped out and went to 'elegant nite' and I don't know that I will. I'm looking at booking some cruises now,and I have not included Carnival in my research.Yet I'm a cheerleader. Mainly for constantly saying we only have the posters side of the story. And in my life experience, that has never once been wholly accurate.
I've also complained about Carnival's dining room beef. The inept singing & dancing waiters. The red white and blue team nonsense. And the cutback in dining room waiters. But asking all to consider the OTHER side of a story makes me a Cheerleader to the mentally blinded.

You might be best served using the ignore feature. Although, so many use the "quote? feature that I still see many posts not worth reading.

Dan[/QUOTE]

Why Dan I didn't realize that you had become a Carnival Basher. The Meds must be working. ;) Good Post.

Archived