we booked our first cruise!

ckekjhaze

we (my husband, 3 daughters and I) have been to all inclusive resorts but this will be our first cruise on the Triumph - a 5 day cruise to Canada.

with schedules and family events this year we found that a cruise leaving from New York fit our limited time frame and our budget

I'm excited, my kids are always great travelers- but my husband ummm.. not so much. Hopefully he will warm up to it and who knows may even love it.

His concerns are missing the caribbean vibe, and the beach as well as having to pay for drinks. Since we are cruising to Canada the shore excursions will more resemble CT where we live. Also getting sick is always a concern of his, he is a colon cancer survivor and tends to get dehydrated, he's seen the resort dr. the last few trips. Also he thinks he may get seasick- have any of you experienced this? do you take dramamine or get a scolp patch before boarding.

Look forward to chatting with you

I'm hoping the kids like Camp Carnival and make friends, but I'm sure they will.

His concerns are missing the caribbean vibe, and the beach as well as having to pay for drinks. Since we are cruising to Canada the shore excursions will more resemble CT where we live. Also getting sick is always a concern of his, he is a colon cancer survivor and tends to get dehydrated, he's seen the resort dr. the last few trips. Also he thinks he may get seasick- have any of you experienced this? do you take dramamine or get a scolp patch before boarding.

I'm hoping the kids like Camp Carnival and make friends, but I'm sure they will.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, funny, your husband is 100% right, missing the Caribbean vibe would be my concern also, I always recommend a Caribbean Cruise for a first timer, seeing the beauty of a Aqua blue beaches on a beautiful island is what will leave long time memories of a cruise and what will make you rebook another cruise when you get back. I would re-consider and rebook something out of Miami and heading south into the Caribbean sunset.

To me, and this is my own opinion is that cruising up the coast into Canada sounds quite cold and boring. It all looks like where you live!!! No palm trees or aqua blue waters up there thats for sure, besides you can always do a drive from where you live up the coast into Canada and see more that way.

If money is an issue then hold off and save and go the following year, I can assure you it will be well worth the wait and money to do a fantastic Caribbean cruise.

And lastly, as colon cancer survivor give the guy a break and let him enjoy a Caribbean cruise.

Fred

Thanks Fred

Yes we all love the caribbean- my kids' facorite vacation is Cancun. This year it isn't so much budget as time. This cruise was the only thing that fit- since we are so close to New York- I think if this cruise is a success then next year we can try again departing from New York and take a caribbbean cruise, and save airfare.

For me, I would love a Canada cruise...I went to school in MA and my family has never been north of PA!

Since I have never been north, I can't comment on the seas. I can say that coming back to Tampa from Cozumel March '08 we hit some rough 15-20' seas. You could hear the prop grind when it came out of the water the waves were so high. DH does not get sea sick, and I do not, unless I go for extended periods where I cannot see outside. On the ship that we were on Camp was in the front (been told the worst area for sea sickness), so I gave my then 3 and 9 year olds some children's bonine and they were fine - and actually enjoyed all the rolling around! I took some that afternoon when I wanted to stay in the cabin and rest. I did not make me sleepy like dramamine. I would suggest carrying some of that with you on board, though the purser or Dr. has stuff.

Please come back and post what you thought of the cruise!

we (my husband, 3 daughters and I) have been to all inclusive resorts but this will be our first cruise on the Triumph - a 5 day cruise to Canada.

with schedules and family events this year we found that a cruise leaving from New York fit our limited time frame and our budget

I'm excited, my kids are always great travelers- but my husband ummm.. not so much. Hopefully he will warm up to it and who knows may even love it.

My husband likes to have everything paid for in advance of vacation also. He LOVES AI resorts and even when we went to Disney we got the Dining plan.

My plan for our cruise is to call the Bon Voyage dept and have the party cooler and a bottle of Crown Royal waiting for him in the room when we arrive. That will help him feel like it is already covered. I am also considering purchasing some funship dollars to apply to the S&S card at the beginning of the trip.

I would also encourage switching to at least a Bahamas cruise. You might have more luck getting him to cruise again if you go tropical the first time.

Archived