How Does HAL Bill You?

jan can

I did not see this mentioned by anyone who responded and someone please correct me if I am wrong but the hold on your card is not made when you book. The hold is placed on your card when you board the ship.

Rochelle

You are right Rochelle. I misunderstood my husband. It is when we embark that the hold is placed on our credit card.

Something else to remember if you are close to your CC limit is the hold does not necessarily disappear when the actual charge goes through. There is usually some overlap time. I see this on my credit card sometimes when I check my transactions online. For example, if I buy gas a the pump, there will be a hold of $30 on the card immediately (it usually shows up with the word TEMP after the charge to indicate a hold) that usually stays for about 2 days. The actual charge for gas is $45 which will show up after about a day (it shows up with the word AUTH after the charge to indicate a charge). However, the TEMP charge will still be there for another day then disappear.

If HAL's system works that same way, then you could have your $60/pp/pd hold charge show up as a TEMP charge that is still in place when your $XXX actual charge is processed. The TEMP charge should disappear after a day or so, but it will be taking up your credit limit in the mean time.

Archived