Problems with U.S. Mastercard in Italy?

Over the last several days, I've tried to book various reservations for Museums, hotels and airline tickets for our upcoming cruise and post-cruise stay. whenever I try to use a Mastercard on those sites it keeps giving me errors that it could not go through. I know there's nothing wrong with the card, as I was able to book US-based expenses with it (the cruise itself, delta airline tickets, etc...)

In order to get things approved, I had to switch to my Amex card. Is this something that is common with Mastercard, or does it happen to U.S. issued Visa cards as well? I will be bringing a Visa-based ATM/debit card, but wonder if the I'm going to have problems with a Mastercard credit card over there.

Over the last several days, I've tried to book various reservations for Museums, hotels and airline tickets for our upcoming cruise and post-cruise stay. whenever I try to use a Mastercard on those sites it keeps giving me errors that it could not go through. I know there's nothing wrong with the card, as I was able to book US-based expenses with it (the cruise itself, delta airline tickets, etc...)

In order to get things approved, I had to switch to my Amex card. Is this something that is common with Mastercard, or does it happen to U.S. issued Visa cards as well? I will be bringing a Visa-based ATM/debit card, but wonder if the I'm going to have problems with a Mastercard credit card over there.

Could be your bank blocking the charges and flagging as potentially fraudulent. I have used my Capital One MC on several occasions without issue.

That's true -- my bank told me I need to let them know before I use my c/c to make overseas purchases even from home via internet. So yours might be declining the charge.

But if it's something that you can't even get through the online ordering process that might be a different problem. Are you entering the dates the way they require them (maybe day first then month or whatver)? Tickets I ordered to one museum were confusing since the year, day, and month were all under '10' -- I had to really pay attention to get them in the correct order. They wanted year then day then month.

Definitely call the CC company and tell them what you are trying to do, and also if you plan on using the card overseas. I've used my Chase Mastercard in several EU countries and never had a problem (after notifying them first which countries I would be visiting).

I agree with Voyager70. It is generally a good idea to call your credit card company prior to going on an overseas trip. Then you are less likely to have hassles when you are abroad. Also, note that your ATM card may not work in all ATM machines. I have found those cards work best with those banks whose ATM has the Visa or Master Card logo, depending what logo is on your bank's check card.

Archived