Weight Limit on Shore Excursion

We are taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise in September. I was curious as to why there was a weight limit of 300 lbs on the St. John Beach and Snorkle Tour. Has anybody taken this? Any recommendations? Know of a reason for the weight limit?

Thanks!

We are taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise in September. I was curious as to why there was a weight limit of 300 lbs on the St. John Beach and Snorkle Tour. Has anybody taken this? Any recommendations? Know of a reason for the weight limit?

Thanks!

Could be due to the life vests. They might not have extra large ones for bigger passengers. It could also be because of those floatation vests you wear while actually snorkling, again, they might not have larger sizes.

I believe the previous poster is correct. In order for a tour vendor to be approved for a water tour like this the passengers all have to be able to have a vest and if they don't have ones large enough then the vendor could not meet regulations.

I wouldn't worry. In order for these companies to participate with cruise ship passengers, they have to be able to accomodate those of us with 'large frames'. I think that small tour planes and helicopters are a different story, though.

I find humor in the vest remarks. I weigh 220 and on a snorkel excursion in Cabo they forced everyone to wear life jackets. They had to put 2 together for me they were so small. Most other places when I show up with my own gear they will relent on the snorkel vest since I have a wet suit.

I looked at that particular tour and where is shows "restrictions" it has N/A next to it. I did notice weight and age restrictions on other tours such as the Catamaran snorkel tour which had a 300lb max limitation.

I wouldn't worry. In order for these companies to participate with cruise ship passengers, they have to be able to accomodate those of us with 'large frames'. I think that small tour planes and helicopters are a different story, though.

This is not a true statement.

First, zip-line tours have weight restrictions. Aside from the obvious reasons, this is also due to how much speed a person can accumulate based on their body weight.

Also, life preservers do have weight limits, especially the inflatable type used for snorklers.

All boats under 20' have capacity plates. The plates display a maximum number of persons and maximum weight limit. For example, a 2-person waverunner typically displays "2 persons or 500 pounds." In this case, 2 300 lb persons would not be able to participate unless on their own waverunners.

This is not a discrimination issue. It is a safety issue, plain and simple.

You cannot generalize all large people and assume or imply that all activities could exclude them. I have been able to snorkel at every port that I chose to, without problems with life vests or the like. You are partially right, SOME life preservers do have weight limits but most ports can accomodate most tourists. The businesses that cater to tourists would never jeopardize the safety of said tourists just to make a buck but they are discreet when they exclude anyone due to weight. Like I posted for Ariel 7303 above, don't worry. There are activities for everyone. Have a good time. Like someone once told me: "It's mind over matter - if you don't mind, it don't matter"

You cannot generalize all large people and assume or imply that all activities could exclude them.

That is not what I said.

I was giving examples to disprove your statement that they have to accommodate everyone.

Disproving one word in someone's statement is like comparing apples to oranges. Instead of picking apart a statement and choosing one or two words to make the statement wrong, one should be [especially on these boards] letting cruisers know that, for the most part, they will have a great time and if one excursion could exclude them, they could look for a different one. I was merely trying to be positive. Lord knows, there is enough negativity on these boards as it is. I will try to remain positive if you will. Ariel7303 was asking about a particular excursion and I was being empathetic to the situation at hand, as I did not have the answer that they were looking for.

Zip line excursions do have limits. At Icy Strait on the Alaska cruise, the limit was 275 and they weighed us! I used to weigh over 300 and lost 100 pounds so it was ok with me. At least the scales didn't have numbers, just a green area (you can go) and a red one (woops, can't go).

Again, the lines are set up to handle a certain weight range. All I can say is it felt GOOD not to have to worry about it!

This is not a true statement.

First, zip-line tours have weight restrictions. Aside from the obvious reasons, this is also due to how much speed a person can accumulate based on their body weight.

Also, life preservers do have weight limits, especially the inflatable type used for snorklers.

All boats under 20' have capacity plates. The plates display a maximum number of persons and maximum weight limit. For example, a 2-person waverunner typically displays "2 persons or 500 pounds." In this case, 2 300 lb persons would not be able to participate unless on their own waverunners.

This is not a discrimination issue. It is a safety issue, plain and simple.

Helicopter tours also have weight limits. This has to do with getting the proper trim and balance on the aircraft so that it can fly without crashing - definitely not discrimination.

Dont worry about it. I am a few lbs bigger than that and I was fine. Just go and have fun. St Johns is not to be missed.

Archived