Pompeii thoughts..

Contemplating either walk? or taxi to the train Station in Naples and then take the train to Pompeii. (Any idea on the cost?)

I will hire a guide at the entrance and spend a few hours. Now after that, should we get back on the train and go back to the ship or continue on via train to Sorrento? I think we can take some form of water transportation back from Sorrento to Naples. Anyone know anything about that?

Is this day trip workable or are we trying to do too much in one day?

THere are tons of conversations here that will answer all your questions. Look over the past pages of posts or go to the search forum box and enter pompeii-sorrento. Very easy and economical to do both Pompeii for 2-3 hours in the morning and head to Sorrento via train for the afternoon and ferry back. Many share private tours which go further along the Amalfi coast. Lots of info if you hunt.

Contemplating either walk? or taxi to the train Station in Naples and then take the train to Pompeii. (Any idea on the cost?)

I will hire a guide at the entrance and spend a few hours. Now after that, should we get back on the train and go back to the ship or continue on via train to Sorrento? I think we can take some form of water transportation back from Sorrento to Naples. Anyone know anything about that?

Take autobus #1 from the port area to the Naples train station. One way train tickets (100 min) are €3,30 per person. Limit your time to 2-2½ hours in Pompeii and hop a train for Sorrento. That will cost €1,90 per person. Train back to Naples would be €3,30 per person. Not certain about water transport costs.

It is a workable day trip.

It is too far to walk from the port to the train station in Naples. Getting a taxi can be difficult because most of the drivers would like to give you a full day tour and not just take you to the train station You may have to ask several before getting one to agree. Also, there are two train stations in Naples. Make sure you get to the correct one for the train to Pompeii. I like the suggestion of the previous poster about taking the bus if you are unable to get a taxi.

Thre is nothing wrong with Sorrento. It ia pleasant place to spend a few hours. However, I'd suggest keeping your options open. If Pompeii gives you the antiquity bug, head back to Naples and go to the Archeology museum... arguably the best in world for its type of collection.

Last year in July we visit Herculaneum.

Pompei are big and crowded (train direction Sorrento)

Herculaneum is smaller but are the best preserved and less crowded as Pompei

A new, virtual reality museum restores to life the sights, sounds and smells of the Ancient Roman city of Herculaneum (definitely worth to visit)

Both citties can be reach from the Central Station Garibaldi in Napels.

Trip to Herculaneum from station NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) to Ercolano Scavi - Miglio Dóro.Get off at station Scavi (if missing, get off station Miglio Dóro) 17 min

Go across the street from the pier to the newspaper stand. Buy a bus ticket and take the €1 bus to the train station.

Departure station Arrival station € 1,80 p.p.

NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 09:11 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 09:28 h

NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 09:27 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 09:44 h

NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 09:41 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 09:58 h

NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 10:11 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 10:28 h

NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 10:27 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 10:44 h

NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 10:41 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 10:58 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 16:06 h NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 16:16 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 16:14 h NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 16:32 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 16:37 h NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 16:56 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 16:42 h NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 17:00 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 16:55 h NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) 17:13 h

Or from station Porta Nolana Corso Garibaldi (closer to sea port) 19 min

Departure station Arrival station € 1,80 p.p.

NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 09:09 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 09:28 h

NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 09:25 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 09:44 h

NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 09:39 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 09:58 h

NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 10:09 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 10:28 h

NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 10:25 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 10:44 h

NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 10:39 h ERCOLANO – SCAVI 10:58 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 16:37 h NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 16:57 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 16:42 h NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 17:01 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 16:55 h NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 17:14 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 17:25 h NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 17:44 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 17:42 h NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 18:01 h

ERCOLANO – SCAVI 17:55 h NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI 18:14 h

It is too far to walk from the port to the train station in Naples.

I have to disagree. It is a just a question of your personal willingness, ability and interest. Last year I walked both ways to and from the train station.

Especially if you do not take the shortest way along the main street, you can enjoy the way of life in Naples with many small streets, churches, shops, neighbourhoods etc.

On the other hand if you want to do Pompeii and Sorrento or Pompeii and the Archeological Museum, which would be a nice combination, in one day, taking the bus will save you valuable time.

Yet, if in question, I would suggest to restrict yourself to Pompeii. One can spent several days there and the too often offered two hours only stint does not allow for anything else than a very short glimpse.

watch out: napoli piazza garibaldi IS THE MAIN RAILWAY STATION. ALL THE OTHER ONES AR CIRCUMVESUVIANA, CUMANA AND SO ON they are like groundfloor subways.

consider that piazza garibaldi is very far from piazza municipio (port)

If you are going to Herculaneum, Pompeii or Sorrento, the Circumvesuviana is exactly what you want, not the national railway system. The Circumvesuviana is a privately-owned commuter railroad with cars much like American subway cars, down to the graffiti. But it is cheap and user-friendly, with an electronic sign in each car telling you the next station. It leaves from a station on Corso Garibaldi, a street which is perpendicular to the Via Marina which runs along the waterfront. You do NOT want the main train station Piazza Garibaldi for these trains - it is about 7 blocks further away from the port.

The Circumvesuviana station is about 20 blocks from where Westerdam docked, next to the terminal for the Sorrento and Capri ferries. We saw other, smaller ships docked closer to Corso Garibaldi. When we were there in 2007, transportation along the Via Marina was by tramcar, not bus, but perhaps that has changed. Also, you can get a cab from the Stazione Maritima, but you need to walk past the cabs parked closest to the ship, which are looking to drive people to Pompeii or Sorrento, and walk out toward the street where there is a cab stand. We paid €10 to get to the Circumvesuviana station, and probably overpaid.

Does this train go all the way to Sorrento? And returns to Naples? Can you buy a ticket to Sorrento, get off at Herc. , and then use the same ticket onto Sorrento, or do you have to buy separate tickets? Thank you very much for the info. :)

Does this train go all the way to Sorrento? And returns to Naples? Can you buy a ticket to Sorrento, get off at Herc. , and then use the same ticket onto Sorrento, or do you have to buy separate tickets? Thank you very much for the info. :)

Circumvesuviana trains go all the way to Sorrento. The tickets are 'timed' - they are good for are certain number of minutes (at least the ones we purchased). The ones we bought in Naples were 180 minutes. Getting ready to go from Pompeii to Sorrento we saw that our time was almost up so bought tickets and they were 100 minutes. Heading back, we again needed tickets and they were 180 minutes.

Such tickets in Italy are common, especially on buses. The potential gotcha is that you must still have time left on the ticket when you depart the bus or train. If not, you are traveling without a ticket. Have not seen anybody get 'nabbed' on a train, but have on a bus.

I say get back on the Circumvesuviana train after visiting Pompei (which you can cover in three hours and its better first thing in the morning before the heat and crowds) and go to Sorrento which is only 35 minutes down the line. Sorrento is a lovely place for a walk around and has interesting shops selling a mix of below-par souvenirs and beautiful artisan objects like wood inlay and linen. You could take lunch here as there is a swathe of caffes ad restaurants, pizza and panino bars. From Sorrento port you can easily return back to Naples with a boat - either the metro del mare hydrofoil or a private boat transfer which we did last European summer with Amalfi Coast Yacht.:)

Bob K and others...thanks for the great advice. As always, these boards never cease to amaze me with the info they provide.

Our plans now call for getting to the Circumvesuviana and then out to Pompei. I want to hire a guide at the entrance. Does anyone know what they charge? Tour Pompei and then back to Naples and maybe check out the Acrheology Museum before returning to the ship. All told...an awfully fine day!!

I think the guides are about 100 euros--you can try to get a group to share. We didn't hire one and we should have--would have gotten a lot more out of it. I also second the idea about going on to Sorrento--unless you are totally sold on the museum--Naples is not very appealing and I think the combo of Pompeii and Sorrento would make for an even finer day!

Cathy

Swalm22 stated fares above for the Regular train at Garibaldi Station in Naples to Herc. as 1.8 E and GSPLover also listed fares to Pompeii and on to Sorrento. I believe these are the fares on the Regular train ( ? ) . Does anyone know if the fares are the same on the Circum. Train ? Does the Circumv. Train pass through or stop in Garibaldi STation ? Thanks again for the info and the help. :)

Only the Circumvesuviana train can be used for the Naples to Sorrento route, including the Pompeii and Herculaneum stops. The main train goes from Naples to Salerno, but not to the smaller places. At the Centrale station, I believe you go downstairs to catch the Circumvesuviana.

One other small point. There are two Pompeii stations on the Circumvesuviana. Coming from Naples, you want the first one, Pompeii Scavi - Villa dei Misteri. The next stop is just Pompeii, and is for the town, not the ruins.

I'd also be interested in timing, frequency and cost for Sorrento-Naples hydrofoil. When Westerdam called at Naples in 07, we were docked on the Molo Angionio, which is also where the Sorrento ferries dock, so getting back to the ship would have been simple.

Only the Circumvesuviana train can be used for the Naples to Sorrento route, including the Pompeii and Herculaneum stops. The main train goes from Naples to Salerno, but not to the smaller places. At the Centrale station, I believe you go downstairs to catch the Circumvesuviana.

Our plans are to take the train from Rome to Pompei via Naples; we have reserved a hotel for 3 nights in Pompei. From there, we hope to visit surrounding archeological sights, as well as return to Naples for a 1/2 day tour of the Arch. Museum. My dilemna is that when I booked the hotel in Pompei (Hotel Diana), the website stated they were "walking distance" from the train station...I was thinking the Vesuviana because I unknowingly thought that was the only train that went there. (I thought I was going to change trains in Naples, from the National to the V'ana). But in receiving confirmation of my hotel reservation, I found out that the hotel is walking distance from the OTHER train station (the National one, stop is "Pompeii"). So I am really confused by this post...do you mean that the National train does NOT stop in Pompei? If not, then I'm in real trouble here. Also, the Hotel Diana says that they are "walking distance" to the front entrance of the Pompei ruins (but are closer to a rear entrance). I want to use the front entrance so that I can hopefully join up with a group who wants to use the licensed guide. Does anyone know how far this supposed "walking distance" actually is? I imagine the guides don't hang out at the less-used rear entrance.

And finally, is my plan to take the train (not sure which one now!) back to Naples for 1/2 the day to see the Arch. Museum, then possibly see Herculaneum on the way back to the hotel in Pompei, actually doable?

Forgive my ignorance...1st trip to Italy, 1st time trying to do things "on own" without using organized tour prior to cruise, 1st time riding public transportation in a country where I don't speak the language...eeeks, I'm freaking myself out!

• 4 weeks later...

Just did Naples yesterday and we are on the Noordam leaving for Croatia tonight. I had posted a comment here earlier so let me give you my thoughts.

We took a cab from the port. As mentioned earlier...do not bother with the taxi's at the port itself. They are trying to sell tours. Get outside the port and take a cab from there to the Circumvesuviana train station. Someone mentioned going to the Garibaldi station but that was the second stop from the staion we went to. I don't remember the name but it was something like Porto Nuovello and it is the terminus for that line. The cab fare was 10 euro and I too think we overpaid but it was no big deal. The cab driver spent the whole time trying to convice us take a tour with him instead of the train! The train is cheap and the staion you want to get off at is Pompeii Scavi. You get off there and it's right at the entrance to Pompeii, We toured Pompeii for a couple of hours, stopped for a cold beer and then walked back to the train and carried on further to Sorrento. Again...very cheap and Sorrento is about 25 minutes further up the line. Walked from the station and wondered around town. Had lunch at a sidewalk cafe and then caught the jetfoil back to Naples. An easy walk and the boat was 11 euros and the trip took 40 minutes. All told...a great day!!

The beauty of the train is that if you leave as soon as possible off the ship, you beat all the tour buses to Pompeii and have about the first hour almost to yourself, before the hordes arrive.

We were in Naples last June and when you exit the pier across the street there is a newsstand that sells transit tickets. Buy a day pass which was about 3 euros each.

Then you get on the tram to the Circumvesuviano station. It is about a 5 minute ride.

If you get this train at the main staion you will walk forever. I think this day pass is good as far as Sorrento and is for all transport in the Naples region. Get to Pompeii early as you beat the tour crowds and the midday heat.

Archived