Seward/Denali Help PLEASE!!!

stacyb44

We are taking a northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward and plan on staying an extra few days to tour on our own. Our cruise arrives in Seward on a Friday morning. Our flight home leaves the following Monday morning out of Anchorage.

I had thought about possibly doing the 6 hour Kenai Fjords boat tour and overnighting in Seward on Friday, then taking the railroad from Seward to Anchorage to rent a car, then driving to Denali to overnight.

While we have 3 full days to explore, after reading these boards, I am concerned we will not have time to do both without stressing out and not fully enjoying the trip.

Should we stick to Seward/Anchorage for the trip, or go into Denali right off the cruise? Or something else?

Any recommendations/opinions would be MUCH appreciated!!!

THANKS!

Really, I think that's just not enough time. I'm all for jam-packed trips, but this is cutting it quite close. You'd have to do Kenai fjords Friday after disembarkation, overnight in Seward or Anchorage, drive to Denali on Saturday (Seward to Denail is a long way), see Denali on Sunday, drive back to Anchorage on Monday to catch a late flight. You mention a Monday morning flight so I really don't see how this would be possible. I would pick one or the other. Both are great options with a lot to see and do.

Here is a link to the Park Connection bus service schedule http://www.alaskacoach.com/schedule.html they leave Seward at 6:30pm on Firday and will have you in Anchorage at 9:30pm You could do your Fjord tour between getting off the ship and taking the bus. There are many ways to go to Denali Train is the slowest. Renting a car would most likely be the most efficient way to use your time and see the most on your way to Denali. You don't have a ton of time but if you schedule a park tour on Sunday you should be able to Relax while someone else drives. They won't let you drive in the park anyway.

In my opinion, no, you do not have enough time for both Denali park and Seward. I do think the above poster is underestimating timeframes, and the Shuttle buses into Denali Park, STILL have you tied up with time, who cares who's driving?? :) Taking the train, or their listed bus out of Seward makes little difference. You are still getting to Anchorage late. You need a shuttle to at least Eielson, It's a long day to think you are going to get all the way back to Anchorage.

The only way I recommend both areas- which certainly are the highpoints for Alaska wildlife, is for you to get an overnight flight home, and not morning.

With your current limited time, I would overnight in Seward and overnight in Anchorage. Decide WHAT is of interest to you, if you want 2 nights in Seward??? Otherwise, Anchorage certainly has a lot to offer and doing a drive to Talkeetna/Hatcher Pass/glacier trekking etc etc etc would make a great day trip.

if you really want to see Denali it is possible if you can disembark early enough. I'm taking a park connection bus from Seward to Denali that leaves the small boat harbor at 10:30 AM and arrives Denali at 9PM. So you could do that Friday, overnight in Denali Fri and Sat, take the bus or train back to Anchorage Sunday then fly home Monday morning. For us, we're actually doing this pre-cruise but are staying with friends down near Seward first which is why we're doing the bus from Seward. PS if you do Denali, don't forget to book a shuttle reservation or tour ahead of time just to make sure you'll be able to see what you want to see.

Archived