Port and beach Question--Please help

We have been to St. Marten several times and have never liked it much. We were speaking with a fellow cruise on our last cruise and she was shocked to hear of our opinion. She said that right off the ship you can grab a lounge chair and a bucket of beer for little to nothing. She also said you can get massages for $20! The way we understood this, she was referring to the small beach right at the port pier where there are some small hotels. Does anyone know what she might be talking about or have any familiarity with this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

JUst got back from a cruise with a port stop in St Martin. Actually the port area had changed since the last time I cruised there. Now it is a nice mall area, and lots of shops. We shopped a little then took a cab to Dawn Beach for $6.00 a person. We got 2 chairs and umbrella for $15.00 , and had a great beach day. Oh and the Caribe beer wasn't bad either, all in all I really enjoyed St martin.

If you just walk into town or take a cab or the Water Taxi, you will be at Great Bay Beach. The beach is almost a mile in length, and it is a great place for lying in the sun and having a few cool ones, but I don't go in the water there. There are several hotels and guest houses along this beach.

The story of the bucket of beer is true, and if you just hit the little 'search' function button up on the top right of the page and search for 'bucket' you'll find a lot of posts.

I do remember seeing a massage station on the boardwalk offering neck/shoulder massages for about $20. That was the sit in the chair and lean over massage. It was near Taloula Mango's and the St. Rose Square area.

If you venture away from downtown, there is a LOT more to discover and experience.

If you've visited several times and have never found anything to like, then you haven't ever experienced St. Maarten.

gary

JUst got back from a cruise with a port stop in St Martin. Actually the port area had changed since the last time I cruised there. Now it is a nice mall area, and lots of shops. We shopped a little then took a cab to Dawn Beach for $6.00 a person. We got 2 chairs and umbrella for $15.00 , and had a great beach day. Oh and the Caribe beer wasn't bad either, all in all I really enjoyed St martin.

Are these shops right at the pier or in town? Just trying to decide if I should forgo the whole in town experience after a tour... thanx

Archived