Mariner & laundry

OK, I know, not the most exciting topic. 1st time cruiser, so please be patient w/ me:o

Anyway, we're doing the pre-cruise Denali tour (Alaska) plus some time in Vancouver afterwards. With layers, jackets, child, it's a lot of stuff. Would like to reduce what I pack. So, I thought sending laundry out would be nice (hey, it's my vacation, I don't want to have to take time to do laundry). Plus, I do have some on-board credit.

So does anyone have experience doing this? Is it ridiculously expensive? Job quality? Turnaround time? Do's & don't's?

Many thanks . . .

Mariner has self-service laundries on almost every deck. Three washers and three dryers, two ironing boards and irons. The washers have built in soap dispensers. All of this is free.

Alternatively you can send your laundry out, via your stewardess. Turn around time is stated as 48 hours. They also do dry cleaning and pressing. I say "stated as" because on our last cruise on Mariner we got everything back the same day. I am not sure if this is shipwide or whether it was the result of our extremely efficient butler! Anyway, count on 48 hours.

Cost for sending laundry/dry cleaning seemed very reasonable to me. Much less than in 5 star hotels, and less than we pay here in Europe. I have no idea about US prices!

A tip: If you plan to do your own laundry do it early in the cruise. Also the laundries open at 7am and you can usually get a machine then if you are an early riser. Later in the cruise they become very busy!! If you have your laundry in your carry on when you board you can go straight to any laundry room and start washing. I have done this twice. Since you can board at noon, you could start a load from your Denali trip, and then have lunch, then collect your laundry!!

• 2 months later...
OK, I know, not the most exciting topic. 1st time cruiser, so please be patient w/ me:o

Anyway, we're doing the pre-cruise Denali tour (Alaska) plus some time in Vancouver afterwards. With layers, jackets, child, it's a lot of stuff. Would like to reduce what I pack. So, I thought sending laundry out would be nice (hey, it's my vacation, I don't want to have to take time to do laundry). Plus, I do have some on-board credit.

So does anyone have experience doing this? Is it ridiculously expensive? Job quality? Turnaround time? Do's & don't's?

Many thanks . . .

We are going on a pretour also to Denali on 8/15. Do you go with Regent and did you take any excursions on the pretour?

Useful thread... was going to ask about "pressing".

Can they cope with virtually anything?

I have just bought a lovely new silk and silk/satin dress and it seems to crease rather easily... :o. It is rather delicate, has quite a few folds os very light translucent silk and can only be ironed on the reverse on a cool iron.

Will the Regent laundry service be able to handle pressing that? Would it still take 48 hours? Could I had it to the cabin attendant when we first get onboard (after we get our luggage)?

Thanks

Boo

We are going on a pretour also to Denali on 8/15. Do you go with Regent and did you take any excursions on the pretour?

Yes, we are going on Regent's pretour. I think the whole thing is a big excursion - I know we stay at the Hilton in Anchorage the 1st night, then change, travel around, etc.

Mariner has self-service laundries on almost every deck. Three washers and three dryers, two ironing boards and irons. The washers have built in soap dispensers. All of this is free.

Alternatively you can send your laundry out, via your stewardess. Turn around time is stated as 48 hours. They also do dry cleaning and pressing. I say "stated as" because on our last cruise on Mariner we got everything back the same day. I am not sure if this is shipwide or whether it was the result of our extremely efficient butler! Anyway, count on 48 hours.

Cost for sending laundry/dry cleaning seemed very reasonable to me. Much less than in 5 star hotels, and less than we pay here in Europe. I have no idea about US prices!

A tip: If you plan to do your own laundry do it early in the cruise. Also the laundries open at 7am and you can usually get a machine then if you are an early riser. Later in the cruise they become very busy!! If you have your laundry in your carry on when you board you can go straight to any laundry room and start washing. I have done this twice. Since you can board at noon, you could start a load from your Denali trip, and then have lunch, then collect your laundry!!

Sounds awesome! I think I'll count on sending laundry out twice, so I'll be able to pack less. What a treat to have someone else do my laundry! :D

Hi, I am on board the Mariner now - when I embarked yesterday, I gave my silk pink top (a bit delicate) to the stewardess and it was returned today by 5 PM (be sure to make that point in writing on the form that you filll out with the garment) - and I am happily wearing it now. Should be no problem.

Best, NJBelle

Archived