Panama canal excursions

cruzinj

Hi, I'm going to the canal on the coral (8 day) for a christmas cruise. (12/20/04)

I'd like to know any good excursions for the canal.

The cruise has mostly sea days. The ports are Limon, Cayman, and of course.. The canal. I've never been before, but I've heard it's really something to see!

cruzinj

Oh yeah, also does anyone know if they offer GOOD areobics classes? (for my wife, but I should try to get some exercise or I might gain a few... :rolleyes:

We were in Panama on the Coral in November, and went there on the Island a year ago. We took two excursions.....On our first visit we took the Ocean to Ocean. It is a terrific tour. You leave the ship while in Gatun Lake and get tendered to shore where you get on a bus. The bus takes you to the Miraflore locks where you board a 200 passenger ship and go through the last three locks, under the Bridge of Americas and into the Pacific. The last time we took the Deluxe Dome Car Train Ride which goes around the canal on rails. This was also very, very good. Since this is your first visit I highly recommend the Ocean to Ocean. You are also served a bag lunch on the small ship. You will love your cruise and the ship!!

I will second the motion of the Ocean to Ocean tour. We were on the Coral last Feb. and it was one of the best excursions that I have ever been on. I also heard from other passengers that the train was great too. I can only tell you about the Ocean to Ocean from experience but it was worth every dime and would do it again.

Mairlyn

Hi Mringenoldus: You basically take the same route except the smaller excursion ship of which holds 200 passengers goes through the remaining two locks on the Pacific Ocean side while the cruise ship sits in Gatun Lake and then goes back through the Gatun locks. I would say the difference is the size of the cruise ship going through the locks and the smaller passenger boat going though. It is unbelieveable how different that is. We shared one of the locks with a container ship and the size of that ship compared with our smaller boat was something to see. Also you are very much closer to the locks working, the rising and falling of the water going between the locks. It was great. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions let me know.

Marilyn

We loved the Ocean to Ocean tour. Going thru the locks on the cruise ships doesn't even compare to going on the smaller ship. You really get a better feel for the change in levels. Plus you get to learn so much about the canal and the history of the area. To see a few pics, go to: http://community.webshots.com/user/amybal and select the Ocean to Ocean album. You can see how close that you get to locks.

We were on the Coral last Dec and chose the shore excursion that included a tour of the locks and a visit to the Embera native tribe. We loved it. In Feb we've pre-reserved the train trip which we heard good reports about. Whatever you choose, just don't stay on board. There's too much to see and do off the ship.

Archived