Bringing Wine On Board??

TCF

My understanding from all the postings here is that we can bring wine on board with us...both at embarkation and from shore excursions...for consumption in our cabin. I have not been able to find anything to the contrary.

Today, our TA advised one of the folks we are traveling with that HAL will confiscate wine and hold it until we return at the end of the cruise. I think she's nuts....am I correct?

I know that if we want to use our own wine in the dining room that we have to pay corkage....and we're OK with that.

Also, the TA says that we can't bring hard liquor on board. Does that mean that we cannot bring Tequila from a shore excursion on the ship to take home with us? It's OK with us if they hold the Tequila until disembark.

Thanks for the help!

My understanding from all the postings here is that we can bring wine on board with us...both at embarkation YES and from shore excursions Believe so, but call Ship Services to double check...for consumption in our cabin. I have not been able to find anything to the contrary.

Today, our TA advised one of the folks we are traveling with that HAL will confiscate wine and hold it until we return at the end of the cruise. I think she's nuts....am I correct? See above

I know that if we want to use our own wine in the dining room that we have to pay corkage....and we're OK with that.

Also, the TA says that we can't bring hard liquor on board. Does that mean that we cannot bring Tequila from a shore excursion on the ship to take home with us? It's OK with us if they hold the Tequila until disembark.

All liquor will be held until disembarkation, including bottles bought in the duty free stores.

Thanks for the help!

Hope the above in red helps!

Today, our TA advised one of the folks we are traveling with that HAL will confiscate wine and hold it until we return at the end of the cruise. I think she's nuts....am I correct?

You're right, she's nuts. One of the many advantages of cruising on HAL is the generous wine policy - no limits and no fee if you drink it in your room. I've never tried to bring any hard liquor on, so don't know that policy.

Well, just came back from the Eurodam. We brought 18 bottles. A few were opened in the cabin.. In the Pinnacle we were charge every bottle that were opened. In the dining room our wine steward charged us on every two bottles. We were prepared to pay for all the bottles. His kindness and wonderful service ( bringing proper glasses and decanter) were appreciated and we tipped him generously at the end of the cruise.

We had a wonderful time!:o

Sounds like you should switch travel agents. We bring a case of wine on board when we arrive. I am not saying that we have never had a bottle of vodka mixed in there somewhere, as an FYI. We do pay the corkage in the dining room, and regardless of whether we tip in advance, give the wine steward a glass, we did get charged corkage for each bottle the last cruise, so don't expect otherwise and you will not be disappointed. Not sure if they will confiscate wine you bring on at a port, but you can see the pile of hard liquor when come back on the ship. However, my husband bought a case of Stolli's in Aruba, and he carried it on and no one said anything. Couldn't figure that one out.

I concur...your TA is nuts! :p On our recent b2b, we brought a case on board bought at Total Wine (what a store!) in Fort Lauderdale. They had cardboard wine carriers that held 6 bottles each that were quite handy.

On previous cruises it was "hit or miss" with the corkage fee. This cruise, both segments, different wine stewards, we were charged each time. Except, of course, when it was a gift.

I have a favorite chardonnay, and that's the reason I bring wine on board. As it turned out, they do have it on the Noordam. I enjoy sitting on the verandah at sailaway having a glass of wine...

Quote from the "Know Before you go" booklet that I recieved in my "blue packet". "Alcoholic Beverages Brought on Board Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's stores or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$15.00 (subject to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption. Room service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages."

This makes it clear. The Know Before you Go booklet is also available on line at HAL's website when you check in online.

Archived