Carnival Freedom - Dent in the back of the ship?

kiffrig

Hi gang-

I have done a quick search and have not found an answer to this question. While sailing on the Carnival Freedom right after Thanksgiving, we noticed a huge dent in the back of the ship. We were joking around and wondering what could have made such a dent--and thanking our lucky stars we weren't on the ship when it happened (at least not that we know of!).....

Does anyone know the story of the dent and how it got there? I recently made a photobook of our cruise and came across the pictures of the dent again, and it made me curious as to what the real story is behind it? If anyone knows, please feel free to share.

(It doesn't have anything to do with the inflatable monkey overboard incident because that happened ON my cruise and the dent was there before that.)

THANKS!

P1040067.jpg.c0c74f49fb39a7b86f59d7f663c8cfd0.jpg

From another thread:

it happened few weeks after the ship first sailed in 2007. it happened in Napoli when they were docking, so it's been there for a long time

From John Heald's blog:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/02/27/all-the-worlds-a-stage/

"Anyway, regarding the dent. This was actually made in 2007 during a docking procedure in Civitavecchia, Italy. Obviously the ship was given a full inspection by Lloyds of London and it will be repaired when the ship enters her next dry dock. I was onboard when it happened and didn’t feel a thing."

I was on a cruise ship tied up to a quay or wharf rather than to a pier. Pleasure boats had anchored outside the ship as it was late leaving the port.

The ship had to reverse along the quay but the quay changed angles a little way behind the ship. As we backed down the ship hit the quay. It snapped 12X12 timbers like they were toothpicks. We destroyed about 100+ feet of the quay. At one place it collapsed and a large segment of chain link fence and a fork lift fell into the water. A bunch of us were on the fantail and had had too many drinks. We were laughing so hard we couldn't stand. Finally the bow cleared the blocking boats and the ship turned on the bow thrusters and brought the bow around and we sailed away. Next port we saw that the ship had a dent like yours in the starboard, aft corner.

Dan

I was on the Freedom in Dec 08 and there was a dent in the front of the shiop at that time. I saw it when we docked in Ocho Rios.

Really? That's funny because I took the picture of the dent at the back of the ship in Ocho Rios!! hahaha How ironic. Were you on the Nov 30th - Dec 6th sailing? That's the one I was on...you know...the one with the monkey overboard?!?!:p

I was on a cruise ship tied up to a quay or wharf rather than to a pier. Pleasure boats had anchored outside the ship as it was late leaving the port.

The ship had to reverse along the quay but the quay changed angles a little way behind the ship. As we backed down the ship hit the quay. It snapped 12X12 timbers like they were toothpicks. We destroyed about 100+ feet of the quay. At one place it collapsed and a large segment of chain link fence and a fork lift fell into the water. A bunch of us were on the fantail and had had too many drinks. We were laughing so hard we couldn't stand. Finally the bow cleared the blocking boats and the ship turned on the bow thrusters and brought the bow around and we sailed away. Next port we saw that the ship had a dent like yours in the starboard, aft corner.

Dan

Hummm... a Carnival hit-skip... or would it be a float & flee ! :eek:

Here is another picture for you. I was on the Explorer of the Seas in St. Thomas, January 08, and the Freedom was parked in front of us.:Dexplorerpix425.jpg

Ahh.who's the naked guy right above the "W" in in the "Keep 50 yard Away" banner?

Archived