Confronting Chair Hogs!! Your experiences...

Riley's Mom

Does Carnival not watch for this? I just got off The Liberty of the Seas on Royal Caribbean and they had Deck Patrol. The Deck Patrol would watch for people who laid down towels and walked away. They then marked a time on the chair and after 30-60 minutes, removed the persons things and put it in a plastic bag and put it on shelves. This worked great! I was up at 8 AM and watched them do this to many people.

quote]

WOW! That's great. I did not see this happening on RC's EoS last summer though so maybe it's inconsistent on RC ships.

I agree that Carnival (and Princess) food is better than RC. I like trying out different cruise lines though to see what I think of them. No bad experiences yet!

ENJOY. I hope you try out a Carnival cruise sometime. I'm back for another after a few years of trying out others. :)

Turn the stuff left on the chair to the lost and found. But eating the oranges and soiling the towels looks like a real winner. And I will own that old lady next time.

argggg...lesinindy...I love how "choggers" bring out the best of light and

dark humor on these threads...70 yr old women hahaha:eek:

I had an incident where my daughter hit her foot on a chair leg and cut it pretty badly, we had been sitting around the pool a good bit of the late morning on one chair for the both of us. When she got hurt I jumped up and laid my book on my bag at the end of my chair and took her off to the infirmary. I came back not 30 minutes later and my things are on the floor in a puddle of water and a very large woman is talking on a cell phone a mile a minute in my seat. I asked her to please move since it was my seat and she chose to ignore me - once the others around us who had witnessed my child's injury caught wind of this, they came to my aid and all (about a dozen people) berated her. Truth was she had witnessed the whole thing too. I was thankful they backed me up but I wished they had stuck up for me before she put my book face down in the water though. Some people.......

I think this may be something that a lot of people don't really understand. I'll tell you my senario and maybe that will help clear up why some people really do need to be by the pool area and it's so irritating to see 30 or so empty chairs with towels and shoes in them.

I have four kids and they, of course, love to hang out at the pool, waterslide, areas on sea days. We typically get up there before 9 and every single chair around the pool area has shoes, magazines, or towels on them, but no bodies. I simply pick the stuff up and hand it off to an attendant and tell them that someone must have lost their things or forgotten about them.

Even with 4 kids we NEVER take more than 2 chairs. The kids are either in the pool or just sitting on the ends of our chairs for a few minutes. I think it's rude to have a chair for a kid, too. They're not going to use it like the adults would, so yes, I'm just as concientious as I expect others to be.

I need to be by the pool to watch my kids and make sure that they are safe. So...I don't feel one moment of guilt about picking someone's things up and moving them while they sleep the morning away. It's abysmally rude and I just don't understand the logic for anyone to think that they have any right to hold a chair right beside the pool while they run around doing other things.

Recently, my hubby and I took a short cruise without the kids and we intentionally found chairs on the upper decks because there are cases where people do need to be close to the pool and we respect that. It would be great if others would do the same. Not to mention easier for them to keep their belongings if I'm on the ship with them, they're hogging a chair and my kids are with me. I'd say I've moved hoggers junk no less than 40 times and will be doing it the next time I'm on a ship if they're piled up all over the pool deck. :D

This is what we do too when we sail with the kids...we need a chair by the pool to watch them yet some people take them all which makes it impossible to let the kids swim!!! It gets frustrating!!!!

Does Carnival not watch for this? I just got off The Liberty of the Seas on Royal Caribbean and they had Deck Patrol. The Deck Patrol would watch for people who laid down towels and walked away. They then marked a time on the chair and after 30-60 minutes, removed the persons things and put it in a plastic bag and put it on shelves. This worked great! I was up at 8 AM and watched them do this to many people.

I am on the Carnival Boards because we were considering a Carnival Cruise...

I just read a review on the Mariner and they said the same thing.....I didn't even know other lines had deck patrol...... I know Princess has youth security......that is refreshing. Carnival has signs:p

I will be leaving on the Mariner in a few weeks and will find out for myself.....yeah!

Is it OK to leave your stuff on a chair if you go in the pool?

Our honeymoon was at an all-inclusive resort and it was surprisingly not crowded - there were always some chairs around so we'd just leave our towels, flip flops, clothes and bag on 2 chairs near the pool. I liked being able to keep an eye on our stuff while we were swimming.

We don't really lay out and sun ourselves all that much, so we could probably get by with just one chair or any clean dry space, but if we did want to save chairs to read on after we got out of the pool, is that the same as leaving to go back to sleep in your room?

In college, laundry room hogs were even more annoying (people who would put their laundry in and leave for hours, with only a few machines, and never come back). an hour or so after their machine was done, if they didn't return, it was an unspoken rule that you can take their stuff out and put it on the table (wet or not)

Archived