Another RTH question

mgasaway

I've searched this forum up and down and can't find anything close to my question.

We are planning on doing the Road to Hana round trip. We will be renting a motorcycle In Kahului for Sunday and Monday but.... we can't pick the bike up until 10am on Sunday, so after paperwork it will be at least 11am before we get on the road. I have all the "Revealed' books and have picked out 3 stops on the way to Hana, so we will not be stopping ump-teen times. About how long will the round trip take? We are going in late February, so will we be able to make it back to Kahului before dark?

Any info would be much appreciated.

If you haven't already done so I would suggest you post your question on the "Maui Forums" on tripadvisor.com

They have Maui experts who can answer your questions.

I have driven the road to Hana/Seven pools several times and always got back to Kahului before dark. Although we stopped at a few places we didn't waste any time.

You will likely be somewhere in upcountry at sunset and getting back to Kahului after dark. Even with only a few stops on the way to Hana and a stop at Oheo, you need to plan a good 6 hours r/t. But the real question is whether you really want to do this if you're going to be rushed and only able to make a few stops. It's up to you, of course, but IMO (stress, this is what we believe) there's little reason to do the RTH unless you're really into long scenic, winding drives and want to take your time enjoying the scenery. If most of your time is spent driving, will you truly enjoy it? If so, then go for it and get on the road as soon as you can. You absolutely do not want to be around the south side on the road after dark.

beachchick

You will likely be somewhere in upcountry at sunset and getting back to Kahului after dark. Even with only a few stops on the way to Hana and a stop at Oheo, you need to plan a good 6 hours r/t. But the real question is whether you really want to do this if you're going to be rushed and only able to make a few stops. It's up to you, of course, but IMO (stress, this is what we believe) there's little reason to do the RTH unless you're really into long scenic, winding drives and want to take your time enjoying the scenery. If most of your time is spent driving, will you truly enjoy it? If so, then go for it and get on the road as soon as you can. You absolutely do not want to be around the south side on the road after dark.

beachchick

I agree with "beachchick" this is by far a very scenic drive with many kodak moments and I doubt you will only make three stops.

I would say thats it's right up there with the La/San Fran coastal drive.

Archived