Driving from Chicago to Mobile

thrltr

The wife and I are thinking of driving from Chicago to Mobile with our five children for their first cruise on the holiday. We would do this in June. My first cruise was last May on the Mariner of the Seas however it was my wifes fourth cruise. I would love to go I am a bit weary of the drive but we are trying not to spend money on the airfare. Maybee a stop in Nashville will make it a tolerable drive. Any suggestions would be great. Also if we do this I want to take the kids to a historical tour in Mexico. The cruise stops in Cozumel and Progresso.

Let me start this by saying that I hate road trips! They make me want to poke out my eyes. If the drive is longer than 4 hours, I almost always try to fly.

Anyway, I drove from Columbus, OH to Mobile two years ago. Columbus is about 5-5 1/2 hours from Chicago. I first drove to Cincinnati to meet up with the other couple that was coming along. Then we drove down to Nashville to pick up my friend that was sharing my cabin. We stayed the night in Nashville and drove the rest of the way into Mobile the next morning. Even with my aversion to driving, it really wasn't all that bad. Good company makes all the difference!

How old are your kids?

Would you consider cruising out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami? We're in Chicago too, and got airfare for 5, round trip to fort Lauderdale for $750. TOTAL! Our cruise is in May and we booked airfare in late February. The deals are out there:)

If it's to save money,,,, I don't see it. Every individuals time has a monetary value not including gas, maintenance, hotels, meals, bathroom breaks, touristy stops, did I say bathroom breaks:eek:

If it's part of the family time and vaction time and meant to be part of the journey,,,,,, that's a whole new ballgame and can be very enjoyable.

The wife and I are thinking of driving from Chicago to Mobile with our five children for their first cruise on the holiday. We would do this in June. My first cruise was last May on the Mariner of the Seas however it was my wifes fourth cruise. I would love to go I am a bit weary of the drive but we are trying not to spend money on the airfare. Maybee a stop in Nashville will make it a tolerable drive. Any suggestions would be great. Also if we do this I want to take the kids to a historical tour in Mexico. The cruise stops in Cozumel and Progresso.

That's a pretty long drive. Yeah..stopping in Nashville could break it up..but that's still 7 hours away from Mobile..and you'd probably have to stay the night In Mobile..because traffic etc..could cause stress.

Birmingham is about 4 hours from Mobile. You could fly South West to BHM. Rent a car and drive to Mobile. Or fly to New Orleans..stay one night rent/drive to Mobile.

But that plan does sound doable. Just give yourself some extra time and don't hold yourself to Nashville. If you want to extend your driving and find some better hotels. Consider some of the hotels in Birmingham around the Riverchase Galleria even the cheaper ones right around that immediate area are fairly good. Same goes for the "Oak Mountain State park" (Pelham) exit about 10 mins south of the Galleria. In this area...http://www.trails.com/all-hotels/hotel-info.aspx?hotelid=13982...easy on/off interstate and access to fast foods places..etc. And a decent area of town.

That would put you within about 4 hours of Mobile..but would extend the first leg of your trip about 2 --2 1/2 hours. So you could leave from Pelham/Riverchase and not have to stay overnight in Mobile. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving from NSV..with traffic delays etc..the day of ship departure. Unless I woke up very..very..early. Good luck Mate!!.

Would you consider cruising out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami? We're in Chicago too, and got airfare for 5, round trip to fort Lauderdale for $750. TOTAL! Our cruise is in May and we booked airfare in late February. The deals are out there:)

I was going to suggest that also. Was that on Southwest? They have great fares to FLL. And you can get good deals for the first night stay in FLL on priceline in very decent hotels. I got the Hyatt right by the pier for about 90 bucks.

15 hours from the Quad Cities to Mobile, stopping only for gas and food, but not driving like a lunatic. We are 3-1/2 hours west of Chicago.

We drive to the cruise ports, including Miami and do not fly. It has nothiing to do with anyone being afraid to fly. we travel as a group, with several drivers and switch every few hours. We also travel in a spacious conversion van. Since we travel as a group, it is less costly than flying, there is no lost luggage, airport security, luggage restrictions, or airport weather delays or cancelled flights. No car rental, either and we always drive in early by a day or more.

A flight from here to New Orleans is 16 hours with the Atlanta layover. We can drive it in 14 hours and it's cheaper.........................

Thanks for all of your responses. Any comments on the HOliday or the ports ?

Maybe someone that's Sailed Holiday recently could chime in. But from my past memory. It's an older ship. And was in serious need of Dry Dock to correct some plumbing problems. I don't know if those issues have been corrected. But, you can research on this site.

Personally, with the expense involved for any cruise..I'd go on a newer ship.

I think the Holiday is about 30 years old...and no amount of refrub will cure that.

I am not sure how much money you are saving by driving and parking and motels and gas and food as opposed to flying.....but it sounds like fun if you have the time and patience.

Mexico has great tours of the Mayan ruins. I bet your kids would like that.

I havent been on Holiday but any Carnival ship is a great vacation!

June isnt that far off. Just keep an open mind as far as suggestions. In the end only you can decide.

B'ham is actually out of the way to Moblie. I've never driven to Chicago, only taken the train and greyhound but it still pretty much a straught up drive through MS, TN and IL. Since i'm from New Orleans of course its different but I would try driving it and stopping like you said in Nashville. I havn't been to nashville but i've been to Memphis many times and love it. But i'm a roadtrip buff so take that into mind! We've driven all the way to the GA/ Carolina line without that many stops all in one day. It depends on your peference.

I can't comment on the Holiday since i've never been on it but it is an older ship, i think the oldest in the fleet now (correct me if i'm wrong) but I hear its well maintaned and the staff is friendly. Have a great trip!

Maybe someone that's Sailed Holiday recently could chime in. But from my past memory. It's an older ship. And was in serious need of Dry Dock to correct some plumbing problems. I don't know if those issues have been corrected. But, you can research on this site.

Personally, with the expense involved for any cruise..I'd go on a newer ship.

I think the Holiday is about 30 years old...and no amount of refrub will cure that.

The Holiday is 24 years old.

B'ham is actually out of the way to Moblie. I've never driven to Chicago, only taken the train and greyhound but it still pretty much a straught up drive through MS, TN and IL. Since i'm from New Orleans of course its different but I would try driving it and stopping like you said in Nashville. I havn't been to nashville but i've been to Memphis many times and love it. But i'm a roadtrip buff so take that into mind! We've driven all the way to the GA/ Carolina line without that many stops all in one day. It depends on your peference.

I can't comment on the Holiday since i've never been on it but it is an older ship, i think the oldest in the fleet now (correct me if i'm wrong) but I hear its well maintaned and the staff is friendly. Have a great trip!

Birmingham is not out of th way from Mobile, all they need to do is drive from Chicago to Gary, In and pickup I-65 south which runs straight though Birmingham to Mobile. Chicago to Birmingham is 9 1/2 hours are so.

Birmingham to Mobile is 4 1/2 hours. Staight shot all the way

:)Hi, I see some hate road trips,BUT I LOVE EM!!! Its a long drive for ya'll from Chicago to Mobile.BUT I think it would be FUn to do that drive. I google mapped it,to see where half way is. and Nashville is Half way. Ive stayed there a few times,as its only 3 hrs from us,and a great weekend trip. We've stayed at the LaQuinta Inn on Briley Parkway twice. Its not a 5 star hotel,but the rooms are nice,clean,and have small balcony's. I think we paid like 60 bucks for a night too,and I felt safe there.Its also close to Opry Mills mall,just incase you want to run by there.

Ive only driven through Birmingham,but it was pretty too. My advice to you about AL is drive the speed limit. I was going 80 and oculdnt figure out why ppl were driving so slow.THen I saw the 65mph sign.

DH and I are trying to figure out how to get to NOLA too.At first we were going to take the Amtrak, but since I have fam and friends thata way,we may take advantage of a free couch... Or fly out of Nashville,if its cheaper...So good luck making your choice.

HAPPY SAILS TO YOU!:)

The Holiday was built in 1985. She does not have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships. Personally with the kids, I would have looked at going on the Fantasy as it has the new Waterworks waterpark, a new Circle "C" club and a seperate Club O2. The Holiday has a small room for the kids. The older kids have to make use of clubs during the day and the Lido buffet area at night for their activities.

Dave

Hey OP!! We are sailing on the Holiday on April 20.. as is Luckycruzer.... there are 4 of us driving from central Kentucky... its about a 10 hour drive... so we are going to leave and stop in Nashville and stay the night at a friends (about a 4 hour drive).. get up early the next morning and drive the rest of the way.. good luck!!! I hope you have fun!!!

I don't think you said how old your kids are, but we usually leave REALLY early ... we live in Chicago, too, and have done that drive ... and are preparing to leave for Miami on May 1 .... we push through hard at the early end of the trip ... my recommendation would be if you plan to drive all the way to Mobile, Nashville is a great place to stop. The Opryland Hotel is a good stop ... lots to see, even boat cruises to take inside the hotel. They usually have bands playing ... sometimes other entertainment going on as well ... FYI: there is sometimes a parking charge and food is expensive, but we love looking around.

If you're planning to split the drive over 2 days, I'd try to get to Birmingham the first day ... makes the second day a lot shorter. On our Miami drive this time we plan to get to south Georgia on Friday (leaving at 4am), spend a night Saturday in Daytona, goof off on the beaches on the way to Miami all day Sunday for our cruise which leaves Monday ...

Going home is the rough part ... nothing to look forward to but work and school and the kids tend to fight more.

We live in St Louis and have sailed the Holiday 5 times. Easy 10 hour drive from St Louis. Leave in the early a.m. and we're there for dinner. Chicago is 3.5 -4 hours further. Turns it into a 14 hour event. It's doable, but you may want to consider stopping in Jackson Miss. (assuming you come down Hwy 55) for the night, then you only have a 3 hour drive to the port the next day. Seems like the most direct route to Mobile from Chicago. 55 all the way to Jackson, then cut over on 49 through Hattisburg Miss into Mobile. I know the route like the back of my hand.;)

We ported out of Mobile on Holiday last year. Great port, very easy to get through and DH and I had a good time. It is not a ship I would pay to take the kids on. While we enjoyed it, it was an old ship and I think the kids would have more fun on the Fantasy out of New Orleans.

Next year you'll have Fantasy out of Mobile and Triumph out of NO so you'll have 2 great family ships to pick from.

A girlfriend of mine and myself drove from Columbus, Ohio to Columbia, SC to Fort Lauderdale and then up to Orlando, Atlanta and back to Columbus last December for our cruise. We had a blast! If you can stand it, do it!

Also, I drive a little Hyundai Accent so gas prices, for me, were not an issue at $15 a fill up! :D

I've done the 10-12 hour drive from Missouri to Mobile and NOLA. We will do Mobile again to sail the Fantasy. Have you thought about Amtrak? It seems like you can sometimes get pretty cheap tix - just a thought - but if it is strictly a budget trip - then that is what it is - the kids program is okay - its a small ship so there isn't as much room for it.

Archived