Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

Daring, don't worry either. I'm sure all will be fine.

Are you going to stay post-cruise in Barcelona a bit?

DH and I could only get away for one week so we only have the day we arrive and the day we depart in Barcelona, but I'm just glad we could work that out.

Looks like you may need to be MIA with your work schedule too. Don't worry we will make it; the excitement will carry us through. But hey, I missed the conversation.

DH and I could only get away for one week so we only have the day we arrive and the day we depart in Barcelona, but I'm just glad we could work that out.

Looks like you may need to be MIA with your work schedule too. Don't worry we will make it; the excitement will carry us through. But hey, I missed the conversation.

I'll be checking in very early and very late each day. I can't go without cruise critic especially so close to sail date.

I've decided that working so many hours will just help me sleep on the plane. Before then, sleep will be limited. It's so overrated anyway. ;)

When we return, we have a very early flight on Sunday. The earliest that NCL advises. We'll probably be helping the crew dock it will be so early.

As I was catching up on my reading, I noticed you had a question about massages. It took me a long time to decide to get a massage because I'm kinda body shy. Not everyone does, but I leave my undies on. You go in the room by yourself and you lay down on your back and cover up with a sheet/blanket. They uncover and tuck so that everything is covered except for the part they are working on, like a arm or leg. Then they hold the covers down while you turn on your stomach. My therapist uncovers my back and tucks the sheet in the edge of my undies so only my back is uncovered. It took a little while, but I love it now and am very comfortable with it. I bet you could use one. Something tells me that most of us on this thread have type A personalities. Am I right?

If you get one, remember to take long slow deep relaxing breaths, no talking; focus inward making the body breath and spirit connection. Ahhhh!

When we cruised on the Gem from Barcelona, the Cruise Director said that the evening would be rather quiet as so many Americans arrive on the actual day of sailing and would be having an early night. So don't worry, you won't be the only ones.

I feel rather jealous of your excitement in actually cruising the Med - we live in the Med . Also for many of you it will be the first time you're visiting the Ports of Call - we go driving round Europe often so there isn't much novelty there either.

Still, I love the concept of cruising and we research to try and find some where new , or somewhere we haven't been to for a time, at the Ports of Call.

So relish your excitement and build up many happy memories for the future.

Richstan,

I arrive in Barcelona on 8:35 AM on Sunday, what about you?

2:00 p.m.-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

NCL rep told me ship doesn't leave til 7. We have NCL transfers from the airport.

We are flying from NYC to Zurich------Zurich to Barcelona.

Stan, the neurotic who has literally been packing and ironing his undies for the last 2 weeks is not phased at all that we are arriving just 5 hours before the ship sets sail. His whole thing is if something happens we spend a couple of days in Switzerland and pick up the ship in Italy!

2:00 p.m.-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

NCL rep told me ship doesn't leave til 7. We have NCL transfers from the airport.

We are flying from NYC to Zurich------Zurich to Barcelona.

Stan, the neurotic who has literally been packing and ironing his undies for the last 2 weeks is not phased at all that we are arriving just 5 hours before the ship sets sail. His whole thing is if something happens we spend a couple of days in Switzerland and pick up the ship in Italy!

I like his attitude!

So Richstan,

Are we there yet? (whining) How much longer? (still whining) Can we go faster?

I bought my guys a light loose weave tan pant. I call them panama pants. I hope they are OK. They look cool and comfortable to me. Also the Panama shirts too. I don't think that's what they are called but its the kind of dress shirt that does not get tucked in, like they do in South America.

Where did you get panama pants and the shirts?

He can wear the shorts all day and night anywhere on the ship. If he wants to wear shorts for dinner, he can at the Buffet and Blue Lagoon, but not at the finer restaurants aboard, either free or surcharged. To dine at the finer restaurants, he'll need to have on full length jeans or slacks.

Sorry the question was meant for actual ports, Rome (incl Vatican), Naples & Florence. Since some churches are involved, do you think shorts below the knee are still ok for men?

Hi,

could you tell me if ncl has a bus in Livorno that will transport you to the train station or into Florence for a fee. This will be our 1st Med cruise, and our 1st cruise on ncl leaving 9/20/09. thanks for any infor.

This is my first time using my log on privileges and I have no idea what I am doing, but wanted to comment that we (my middle aged husband and myself) are going on the Gem/ Western Med cruise on May 10 and we are very excited about the trip.

Hi Daring! Like you, I can't get enough of talking about this cruise! My roll call is fairly quiet, not much chatting except for tour share requests.

We sail May 10...just a month away! For Christmas, I gave DH a carry on duffel bag, filled with 2 inflatable pillows, 2 light weight throws, and 2 sleep eye masks in black (from Walmart). He was thrilled with the gift, and wondered why he got 2 of everything, lol!

I think I'm ready, I've got my flights booked, private tours for the Italian ports booked, edocs printed, my Welcome Aboard booklet and luggage tags have arrived. I think all that's left is packing, and I plan to start putting together a few outfits this week-end.

Here are two awesome threads to whet your appetite:

Radio's Live Report from the Gem last month has some awesome pics of the ship: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s...d.php?t=942285

Here is Celebrat's review from last year for "our cruise" : http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s...d.php?t=820569

This is my first time using my log on privileges and I have no idea what I am doing, but wanted to comment that we (my middle aged husband and myself) are going on the Gem/ Western Med cruise on May 10 and we are very excited about the trip.

Good Morning and welcome!

Have you found your Roll Call yet for this cruise? Click on Cruise Critic Message Boards, find the sub-board that says Roll Call, click on Norweigan Cruise Lines, click on Gem, and find your sail date. There you'll meet a whole bunch of other cruisers that will be sailing on your date with you. Often there is a Meet and Greet scheduled on the ship - gives you a chance to meet others and have a friendly face or two or 50, during your cruise. :)

Mississipp1 has posted on this thread and she will be on your cruise. I'm right behind you on the next sailing. :D

Sorry the question was meant for actual ports, Rome (incl Vatican), Naples & Florence. Since some churches are involved, do you think shorts below the knee are still ok for men?

Generally, only tourists wear shorts in Europe, unless they are at a beach or participating in a sports activity.

Hi Olechka, I found this on the Rome forum posted by one of the Destiniation Experts:

"Men need to have long pants to go into the Basilica of San Pietro, not just knees covered. Or at least they did a few years ago, when my 15-year-old nephew was refused admission with calf-length pants."

It looks like our DHs are going to be hot! :o)

I am getting excited too! I still feel like I have so much to do. I've spent so much time researching Barcelona since we will be there two nights pre-cruise and one night post-cruise. So I still have lots of reading to do on the other ports.

I read earlier today that there are several cases of swine flu in Barcelona and Girona.....all the infected people had been to Mexico. It does make me a bit concerned about what the situation will be in the coming weeks.

Daring, Missippi1 and Mickey's Gal....I am SE girl too. :o) I've enjoyed reading some of your posts.

Hi Olechka, I found this on the Rome forum posted by one of the Destiniation Experts:

"Men need to have long pants to go into the Basilica of San Pietro, not just knees covered. Or at least they did a few years ago, when my 15-year-old nephew was refused admission with calf-length pants."

It looks like our DHs are going to be hot! :o)

I am taking a pair of very light weight track pants to slip on over my shorts in church situations. Put them in the backpack with the other junk.

Welcome to our thread, Housepeepers and Bannda! It is really nice to have a place to share with like-minded people - and we are ALL excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean! :D

Housepeepers, I see you found our roll call...great to have you there, too!

DH is taking a good mixture of long pants and shorts. He prefers the shorts, and he can wear those onboard, and maybe Naples and Villefranche (I don't think we have any churches planned there). But for Rome and Florence, he'll be suffering in the pants.

And, yes, I am starting to have some concerns with this swine flu. I work for a doctor, and looked into getting Tamiflu to start taking immediately, but our local pharmacies are all sold out (already!) and don't know when they expect another shipment. So much for that idea.

Richstan, are you unbelievably excited and almost out of control yet? I can't imagine what it must be like to be in the final week before sailing!

Ok - has anyone bought a power converter? I need one to run my hair straightener. Can anyone recommend a brand or have used one before (a converter, not a straightener ;))? I must travel with it or I will look like a loon or Bozo the clown or both...really.

I am getting excited too! I still feel like I have so much to do. I've spent so much time researching Barcelona since we will be there two nights pre-cruise and one night post-cruise. So I still have lots of reading to do on the other ports.

I read earlier today that there are several cases of swine flu in Barcelona and Girona.....all the infected people had been to Mexico. It does make me a bit concerned about what the situation will be in the coming weeks.

Daring, Missippi1 and Mickey's Gal....I am SE girl too. :o) I've enjoyed reading some of your posts.

Yes, SE girls are the best!

Good handwashing and a surgical mask for me.

Ok - has anyone bought a power converter? I need one to run my hair straightener. Can anyone recommend a brand or have used one before (a converter, not a straightener ;))? I must travel with it or I will look like a loon or Bozo the clown or both...really.

Oh please, please, please send me a picture, without the straightener PLEASE!:D... :p...LOL...and I need to find a Curise Critic blue surgical mask so maybe you can spot me in Barcelona.

Welcome to the Gem friends!:)

Good handwashing and a surgical mask for me.

I was thinking about a mask. Seriously, are you considering wearing one on the plane?

Oh please, please, please send me a picture, without the straightener PLEASE!:D... :p...

No way. It even scares my family. Actually, they laugh at it.

Let me say welcome as well to all the newest Gem cruisers!

Archived