Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

Mickeysgal, let me know if you find a decent converter. I am looking for one also.

Daring, it looks like you are leaving on the Gem the day we come back.

I'm so glad this thread was started so we can all share in the excitement! :)

I was thinking about a mask. Seriously, are you considering wearing one on the plane?

No way. It even scares my family. Actually, they laugh at it.

I could use a good laugh.

I guess it depends on how bad this virus gets whether I use a mask or not. I have bought saline nasal spray, something called Nighttime Airborne, and Cruise Critic travel hand sanitizer. I'll use a mask too if I think I'll need it. I'm a nurse so I'm pretty resistant to a lot of germs (knock on wood).:eek:

Right now I'm trying to figure the best times to schedule a spray tan, a pedicure and get highlights in my hair. Let's see, I probably need the tan past getting exfoliated. The hair done no earlier than 2 weeks so I can settle into it and before I start getting roots. And then there is the hair removal thing. Decisions, decisions. What order is best? I feel like I need to make these appointments now so I am assured a spot.

Ok - has anyone bought a power converter? I need one to run my hair straightener. Can anyone recommend a brand or have used one before (a converter, not a straightener ;))? I must travel with it or I will look like a loon or Bozo the clown or both...really.

First question--does the ship have European or American outlets???

I am spending 10 days in Spain prior to our sailing of the Gem (we leave Friday!!!!) and I JUST found out last week about the whole hair straighteners not working/breaking in Europe thing (thank goodness I did prior to leaving otherwise I would have freaked out not having one for 17 days!).

Make sure that your straightner is dual voltage. I asked around and have 3 friends who had their straighters break as soon as they were plugged in to their converters bc the European outlets could not handle them.

I bought this one from folica.com: http://www.folica.com/Solia_Universal_d2651.html?s_cid=fgl_A8683

First question--does the ship have European or American outlets???

I am spending 10 days in Spain prior to our sailing of the Gem (we leave Friday!!!!) and I JUST found out last week about the whole hair straighteners not working/breaking in Europe thing (thank goodness I did prior to leaving otherwise I would have freaked out not having one for 17 days!).

Make sure that your straightner is dual voltage. I asked around and have 3 friends who had their straighters break as soon as they were plugged in to their converters bc the European outlets could not handle them.

I bought this one from folica.com: http://www.folica.com/Solia_Universal_d2651.html?s_cid=fgl_A8683

How would I know this? I have a Chi.

I wonder if they just plugged them into a simple converter. What I'm out to buy is an actual voltage converter...it runs about $50.

Holy smokes - I may be touring Barcelona unstraightened. I know that I read that the Gem's staterooms have an American plug somewhere - why I'm thinking the bathroom, I don't know. I may be bringing a power strip.

Right now I'm trying to figure the best times to schedule a spray tan, a pedicure and get highlights in my hair. Let's see, I probably need the tan past getting exfoliated. The hair done no earlier than 2 weeks so I can settle into it and before I start getting roots. And then there is the hair removal thing. Decisions, decisions. What order is best? I feel like I need to make these appointments now so I am assured a spot.

I tried to get a hair appt. yesterday. This week, my hair dresser is booked on the times I had free. I'm shooting now for next week - hopefully. I'm running out of time as my work schedule gets nuts starting next week. I want to make sure that I look very much like my passport picture. My hair was very highlighted in that picture.

Pedicure? Maybe I can squeeze that one in else I'll be doing it myself.

I feel your pain. I have used my straightner every day for the past 3-4 years. I almost cried when I started reading up on them breaking in Europe.

This kind of explains it:

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070708051009AAm3MEp

I would just be really cautious about bringing a Chi with you since they are really pricey. I have a $100 Solia and I opted to buy a dual voltage one online to make sure. Just do research before bringing it. My one friend brought a Chi and she said the first time she plugged it into the converter, it made a popping sound and died forever. Eek!

I feel your pain. I have used my straightner every day for the past 3-4 years. I almost cried when I started reading up on them breaking in Europe.

This kind of explains it:

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070708051009AAm3MEp

I would just be really cautious about bringing a Chi with you since they are really pricey. I have a $100 Solia and I opted to buy a dual voltage one online to make sure. Just do research before bringing it. My one friend brought a Chi and she said the first time she plugged it into the converter, it made a popping sound and died forever. Eek!

Here's what the site said:

You can use american appliances and electrical devices such as hair straighteners in Europe, you just have to make sure its already designed for the wattage. You have to look on it and if it says 110v, then it's not and you would need a transformer or converter. The small ones that you buy at like Walmart will not work on something that puts out as much heat as a hair straightener - I know from personal experience. Fried not only the iron but my hair. I use a flat iron now that is only designed for 110v but I have a transformer that can handle the wattage.

My curling iron, however, is designed for 105v up to 230v so I only need an adaptor for it.

------------------

Mine says 110V. So I do need the converter. Let's hope that this works properly and I don't ruin my Chi and have to deal with 10 days in Europe with frizzy unstraightened hair. :eek::eek::eek:

Mine says 110V. So I do need the converter. Let's hope that this works properly and I don't ruin my Chi and have to deal with 10 days in Europe with frizzy unstraightened hair. :eek::eek::eek:

hmm...I would just be nervous about bringing a Chi. Here is another good link:

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/18904/flat-iron.html

Good luck!!! Are you traveling to Spain prior to the cruise or are you worried about the straightener on the ship?

hmm...I would just be nervous about bringing a Chi. Here is another good link:

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/18904/flat-iron.html

Good luck!!! Are you traveling to Spain prior to the cruise or are you worried about the straightener on the ship?

Both. :eek:

Daring - you can stop laughing at the image of my unstraightened hair now. ;):D

ETA: Definitely won't be buying the traditional just-on-board-picture now! LOL

Both. :eek:

Daring - you can stop laughing at the image of my straightened hair now. ;):D

ETA: Definitely won't be buying the traditional just-on-board-picture now! LOL

OK I stopped laughing. Now I'm trying to find glasses strong enough to read the volts on MY straightening iron.

Thought some of us may be interested in the directions to the Magic Fountain show. Taken from another thread I'm on:

I have checked the Magic Fountain schedule and in May the show runs from Thursday to Sunday from 20.00 to 23.30p.m Music starts at 21.30 and it goes on every 30 minutes. It is very easy to get there from the hotel. You only need to catch the metro at Catalunya station (in front of the hotel, in ramblas) get either the red or the green line and stop at Espanya. The fountain is at the very end of Maria Cristina Avenue

Ok - has anyone bought a power converter? I need one to run my hair straightener. Can anyone recommend a brand or have used one before (a converter, not a straightener ;))? I must travel with it or I will look like a loon or Bozo the clown or both...really.

Okay, so now I know how I will recognize you...

I am here!

I have Vacationitis---bad!

I bought some last minute stuff today!

I have to "break in" my new brown shoes.

OMG! I have a couple of lists--I have turned into one of those packers.

Its not going as well as I had hoped. :o( They are a Mary Jane type shoe(kinda looks like Skechers) and I've been wearing them to the gym when training clients. People keep asking me, "What's up with the shoes"?

I even bought "Friction Block" and that does seem to be helping some.

This hair straightening discussion is funny, but not funny because I am in the same boat (pun intended). I don't want to destroy my expensive flat iron either. I'm hoping if I wash and straighten my hair Thursday morning before we leave, then I can get by until I get on the ship on Sunday. I just use the blow dryer to "restyle" my hair just a bit.

Daring - I've never heard anything against Swansea Car Hire. Some people mentioned it on Trip Advisor and recommended it.

To be honest, on all my time on the Malta Forum, I have never come across any scam car hire companies .

Daring - I've never heard anything against Swansea Car Hire. Some people mentioned it on Trip Advisor and recommended it.

To be honest, on all my time on the Malta Forum, I have never come across any scam car hire companies .

It is just that they have been very slow to respond to my e-mails and I'm beginning to worry about their dependability. :confused:

Just went on a crazy shopping trip. Oh my, I now have a very tough decision on what shoes to bring. DSW had so many great pairs. I bought too many with the idea of returning... I know better though as I rarely get back to returning.

I went into DSW today also, but didn't buy anything. I have "foot issues" that makes it really difficult. But, sometimes I do get lucky so I always look.

I found something call Merrell's. Wore them all day the first day and no problem. I crushed my foot in an accident so I'm very hard to fit. I guess you might call it a heavy terrain sandal. Maybe you could google it.

Its funny you should mention the Merrell shoes because I did try on a pair at DSW. I'm probably going to have to put arch support in whatever shoe I find. I also have a very narrow foot and bunions. ARGH. Oh yeah, add a giant foot to that too. :o)

Oh well, at least I will be able to wear cute sandals to dinner!

We are travelling on the May 24 cruise. Let me know how you like it as well as the weather. We're planning on taking a private excursion and now I'm getting nervous that we won't get back to the port on time. Have you had any experience with the private excursions?

Archived