Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

MickeysGal - I didn't realize that the Gem is typically only 1 week. That said, it looks like we must be combining the Western Med and the Eastern Med. We do Barcelona, Rome, Sicily, Athens, Ephesus (Izmir), Istanbul, Santorini, Valletta Malta and back to Barcelona.

Does anyone see a reason an active woman MUST bring shorts? I'm a shorts gal, but that's because at home I'm typically chasing after soccer balls and gardening etc. I'm thinking mostly cute skirts and dresses on the cruise. Except for the rock climbing wall. It might be a good idea to wear short for that!

Coincidentally, we'll be on the cruise for our 13th wedding anniversary. Nice gift.

What a great trip for you during your anniversary!!

I am taking just a couple of pairs of shorts for the cruise. I'll mostly be wearing capris, but will have some skirts and dresses too. I'm really trying to do lots of mix and match so that I don't overpack.

I'm a personal trainer so I wear activewear most of the time, so this is going to be quite a change wearing "real" clothes. :o)

We leave for Barcelona in 16 days! Yikes, it seems like it is coming up faster and faster.

We just received the 'details' on our work sponsored cruise. If you recall, my DHs boss has bought out the entire Gem for two weeks June 20th-July 6th. I just wanna rave about everything she's including for us, but I think it sounds crass, so I won't. But one thing, she's bringing on a Second City improv troupe and they're holding classes for adults and children. I think it'll be so much fun. I've always wanted to take an improv class.

I've GOT to go shopping, but want to lost those 10 pounds I never lose before going. That means I'll be shopping the morning of the 20th. LOL!

(anyone else here on this cruise?)

Are you sure it's the 20th June ? The Gem reaches Barcelona on a Sunday which will be 21 June.

Your husband's boss must be very happy with his staff - maybe she's grateful that in this time of recession her business is still doing well (it must be to hire a cruise liner and for two whole weeks. ) If her gifts are always this generous I don't imagine she has much staff turnover.

My ex boss found it difficult to take us out to dinner .

I'm on the plane the 20th, so in my head, vacation starts then.

Thankfully laundry is one of the items that my DHs boss is paying for, so I don't have to pack too much. And she IS a great boss, although this is, obviously, the grandest thing she's done for her employees EVER.

I don't think Popeye's for lunch today is going to help me lose that 10 pounds.:eek: I must get better control of myself.

Where is Rich's review?

MickeysGal - I didn't realize that the Gem is typically only 1 week. That said, it looks like we must be combining the Western Med and the Eastern Med. We do Barcelona, Rome, Sicily, Athens, Ephesus (Izmir), Istanbul, Santorini, Valletta Malta and back to Barcelona.

Does anyone see a reason an active woman MUST bring shorts? I'm a shorts gal, but that's because at home I'm typically chasing after soccer balls and gardening etc. I'm thinking mostly cute skirts and dresses on the cruise. Except for the rock climbing wall. It might be a good idea to wear short for that!

Coincidentally, we'll be on the cruise for our 13th wedding anniversary. Nice gift.

I am simply amazed. I wish there was a jaw dropping smilie for me to use. I can't imagine an employer booking a cruise ship for two weeks. Simply amazing.

Wear what you want. For trips into the cities, remember knees must be covered to enter cathedrals.

I want to be on your cruise! :cool:

Is your employer Oprah? I can't imagine who else is wealthy enough to afford it.

I am simply amazed. I wish there was a jaw dropping smilie for me to use. I can't imagine an employer booking a cruise ship for two weeks. Simply amazing.

Wear what you want. For trips into the cities, remember knees must be covered to enter cathedrals.

I want to be on your cruise! :cool:

Is your employer Oprah? I can't imagine who else is wealthy enough to afford it.

Just wanted to say Hi how's it going? How many days left before you leave. Are you ready? I'm getting kinda nervous about it now. I really don't like flying, I'm very forgetful, and I'm a chronic worrier, so go ahead and yank a knot in my tail. (Another one of those southern terms y'all)

Just wanted to say Hi how's it going? How many days left before you leave. Are you ready? I'm getting kinda nervous about it now. I really don't like flying, I'm very forgetful, and I'm a chronic worrier, so go ahead and yank a knot in my tail. (Another one of those southern terms y'all)

I'm getting ready, not all the way ready, but close to ready. :)

We leave Thursday afternoon whether I've got everything together or not.

I'm now stuck on how many jackets I might need...a medium one for the plane, a light one for night, a lighter weight one for tours (churches), etc. I'm trying to decide on how many shoes as well.

Rick Steves would have a field day with me. :rolleyes:

I can neither confirm nor deny. Although Second City Improv IS based in Chicago. And my husband's boss IS a woman. And I DO live in Oak Park, IL.

Holy cow...:eek:

What a nice thing she's doing. If it is her, she does seem like she truely appreciates those that work for her.

Now this is a trip report I want to make sure I read! Will you be able to post a report?

We just received the 'details' on our work sponsored cruise. If you recall, my DHs boss has bought out the entire Gem for two weeks June 20th-July 6th. I just wanna rave about everything she's including for us, but I think it sounds crass, so I won't. But one thing, she's bringing on a Second City improv troupe and they're holding classes for adults and children. I think it'll be so much fun. I've always wanted to take an improv class.

I've GOT to go shopping, but want to lost those 10 pounds I never lose before going. That means I'll be shopping the morning of the 20th. LOL!

(anyone else here on this cruise?)

Second City is standard on some NCL ships, Jade has been doing improv sessions for over a year now. Think standard on the Gem allthought you may have a customised program.

Nice Job , who got the Villas?

:

Yikes! Try to sleep tonight. Although it'll be a good restlessness and it'll help you to sleep on the flight over.

Our rooms will be assigned once we get to the ship -- I expect to avoid people complaining. Ours is the first of 5 flights over, so we'll get to the ship first. I hope that means we get the best rooms. Either way, we've got 2 children, so we'll at least have something large enough for 4. This is one time I wish I had a dozen kids. Does anyone know how many rooms are on the Gem? I tried looking it up (albeit not very hard).

I expect I'll be able to post review.

Thanks for the idea to post on the roll call. Good idea. I'm sorry for hijacking this a bit, I'm just SO excited and have no one to talk to about it.

Jackets and shoes -- my two favorites. I'm fine without a purse, but I love my jackets and shoes. I think I'm going to spend most of my time in Chaco sandals. Do we have to have our toes covered in the churches?

Yikes! Try to sleep tonight. Although it'll be a good restlessness and it'll help you to sleep on the flight over.

Our rooms will be assigned once we get to the ship -- I expect to avoid people complaining. Ours is the first of 5 flights over, so we'll get to the ship first. I hope that means we get the best rooms. Either way, we've got 2 children, so we'll at least have something large enough for 4. This is one time I wish I had a dozen kids. Does anyone know how many rooms are on the Gem? I tried looking it up (albeit not very hard).

Thanks for the idea to post on the roll call. Good idea. I'm sorry for hijacking this a bit, I'm just SO excited and have no one to talk to about it.

Jackets and shoes -- my two favorites. I'm fine without a purse, but I love my jackets and shoes. I think I'm going to spend most of my time in Chaco sandals. Do we have to have our toes covered in the churches?

You are more than welcome to talk to us all you want! Everyone is so excited on here and its been fun to share all the excitement.

Are all of your excursions included also?

Sandals are fine in churches, so no worries there.

I ordered my "Bra Stash" last night....one in black and one in white.

Now to finish the rest of the things on my list!

I'm getting ready, not all the way ready, but close to ready. :)

I'm now stuck on how many jackets I might need...a medium one for the plane, a light one for night, a lighter weight one for tours (churches), etc. I'm trying to decide on how many shoes as well.

Rick Steves would have a field day with me. :rolleyes:

I think your concerns are genuine MG. It's not like you can run back home to get anything and you do want to be comfortable as well as fashionable. So when are we going to have your bon voyage party?

This is what this thread is all about, being so excited you just have to talk about it. I'm excited for you too. By the way, on the shoes, just remember that you will be doing a lot of walking and on uneven surfaces.

Rich,

When you get a chance, will you look back and see if you can answer my questions. I think they got lost back there somewhere. Looking to hear more about your trip soon!

I think your concerns are genuine MG. It's not like you can run back home to get anything and you do want to be comfortable as well as fashionable. So when are we going to have your bon voyage party?

I'll be home tonight. Packing, packing, packing. I have visions of forgetting something stupid...like socks. And yes, I did that once before on a trip to Orlando. Nothing like buying socks at local Publix grocery store. :rolleyes:

I'll be home tonight. Packing, packing, packing. I have visions of forgetting something stupid...like socks. And yes, I did that once before on a trip to Orlando. Nothing like buying socks at local Publix grocery store. :rolleyes:

So tonight at say 9:30 for your official farewell? You tell me, this party is for you. Can you believe it's finally here? :D

I once forgot to pack my husband's underwear. :eek:

As you all know , the Gem stops at Malta and people can embark there. Well, some friends have persuaded us to join them on the cruise ending in Barcelona on the 21 June. We won't be able to proceed to Malta, however, as Jean's husband's boss has chartered the entire ship. !!!!

We'll be spending a few days in Spain and return to Malta by air.

So Jean as we disembark on the 21st, you'll be waiting to embark for the start of your most marvellous cruise. Make the best of it and I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of it.

So tonight at say 9:30 for your official farewell? You tell me, this party is for you. Can you believe it's finally here? :D

Good, I won't be online at that time but you can bet I'll have my drink in hand and will be celebrating. And no, I can't believe it's here. This has been the shortest time we've ever booked a trip. We only did it 4 weeks ago.

And us too. We are on the same plane tomorrow with Mickey!!!!

How fun! So you will be meeting Mickey for the first time on the plane? Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Why knot me, thats a funny name. That's how I kind of feel about JeanaRs cruise.

How fun! So you will be meeting Mickey for the first time on the plane? Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Why knot me, thats a funny name. That's how I kind of feel about JeanaRs cruise.

Yes, by coincidence Deb and her DH are on the same flight as us.

Archived