Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

I'm so excited that your time has finally come. I hope and know you will have an absolutely wonderful time. Thanks for being there with me in June.

You too, have a great time and bon-voyage!

Thanks daring! We're really excited about this!

Big green and sjbdtz: We've already been through this in this discussion, the difference is that in the ports of call and roll calls it's very specific about a certain port or about preparing excursions and not really too many people just wanting to share the excitement of going on the cruise. I also agreed with the other posters that on the roll calls board things are sometimes very pragmatic and you really don't have that many people to share your enthusiasm with.

Thanks daring! We're really excited about this!

Big green and sjbdtz: We've already been through this in this discussion, the difference is that in the ports of call and roll calls it's very specific about a certain port or about preparing excursions and not really too many people just wanting to share the excitement of going on the cruise. I also agreed with the other posters that on the roll calls board things are sometimes very pragmatic and you really don't have that many people to share your enthusiasm with.

How does questions about shore excursions in different ports support what you just said?? That is why there are port boards.

BG

How does questions about shore excursions in different ports support what you just said?? That is why there are port boards.

BG

Because there are about 1000 posts in this discussion from which one or two refer to organizing shore excursions as you would in a roll call and about 4 or 5 about you and sjbdtz complaining about it. The others are about the Gem and the mediterranean and being excited about it. Not really about shore excursions.

The port bards are specific about one port, which isn't really why the discussion was started. It started because we felt like chatting to other fellow cruisers about beeing happy to cruise and got no replies in the roll calls or ports boards, which, as I said, are generally very specific about getting information.

Because there are about 1000 posts in this discussion from which one or two refer to organizing shore excursions as you would in a roll call and about 4 or 5 about you and sjbdtz complaining about it. The others are about the Gem and the mediterranean and being excited about it. Not really about shore excursions.

The port bards are specific about one port, which isn't really why the discussion was started. It started because we felt like chatting to other fellow cruisers about beeing happy to cruise and got no replies in the roll calls or ports boards, which, as I said, are generally very specific about getting information.

Please don't feed the TROLLS. If certain people do not feel like being part of a particular discussion thread, then they should BUZZ OFF and stop reading that thread. (And stop POSTING on it as well!)

Live and let cruise for pete's sake! :cool:

I'm excited about my Med cruise and I don't give a flip who doesn't like it! :D

Please don't feed the TROLLS. If certain people do not feel like being part of a particular discussion thread, then they should BUZZ OFF and stop reading that thread. (And stop POSTING on it as well!)

Live and let cruise for pete's sake! :cool:

I'm excited about my Med cruise and I don't give a flip who doesn't like it! :D

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BG

Have been following this thread for months and have really enjoyed the build up and planning and excitement as everyone draws near to their departure. I'm going my first cruise in October on the Gem with my mum and 2 children and can't wait! Isn't Cruise Critic fantastic? I have learned tons and picked up so many tips. As my husband isn't travelling with us I am in charge of everyone (!) and I now have a notebook filled with things picked up on here. I've posted on the Roll Call but no one seems to have taken me on - maybe it's because I'm travelling with 'weans'!!

Thank you all.

Have been following this thread for months and have really enjoyed the build up and planning and excitement as everyone draws near to their departure. I'm going my first cruise in October on the Gem with my mum and 2 children and can't wait! Isn't Cruise Critic fantastic? I have learned tons and picked up so many tips. As my husband isn't travelling with us I am in charge of everyone (!) and I now have a notebook filled with things picked up on here. I've posted on the Roll Call but no one seems to have taken me on - maybe it's because I'm travelling with 'weans'!!

Thank you all.

Roll Calls are funny. They either have lots of people, or not many. Mine isn't very busy either so I am really enjoying this thread.

I personally have never been on NCL so I'll be one of the first to read your review!

I'll be currious to know how they handle things like shows, anouncements and things like that.

I went on a Costa cruise once and loved the fact that everything was said in 5 different languages. The shows changed language in mid sentance, and dance classes by the pool were very interesting. :)

I also loved listening to multi-cultural music in the disco.

My friend and I sat at dinner with a beautiful family from Belgum. Conversation was intersting because most of us Americans only ever get to speak english. We don't have so many amazing opportunities to speak other languages like the ones across the pond.

I loved the trip!

I am trying to learn a little Italian before I go because we will be spending 4 days in Venice. I also picked up a little CD program for learning Greek and I must admitt that I am a little intimidated by it!

I know that these things are all second nature to Europeans, but to most of us Americans, it's like being in a whole different country. ;)

I can't wait to read your review!!! ~

The first time I went on the Gem I had googled 'Norwegian Gem Deck Plans' and loads had come up - some better and clearer than others.

There are also pictures of the cabins and public areas.

I spent lots of time going over and over them and it was fascinating when I finally got onboard to see them exactly as I had pictured them .

Thank you both for your replies! I think as someone has previously said that the people posting on the rolls calls are not particularly wanting to chat and share the excitement - mainly wanting to get organised with their excursions - fair enough!

Great tip about 'googleing' the deck plan. Did that and spotted our stateroom! Have packed for the children already as the Scottish weather has deteriated and summer clothes needed no more!!

I just found this thread so I hope I am appropriate with my comment. We are booked on the Gem for the TA from Barcelona to NY Nov 29. This is a 13 day cruise and the price is so cheap it didn't pay to stay home. If anyone is remotely interested, check it out. Goes to Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno, Rome, Corsica, Malaga and 6 sea days to NY.

I've never sailed the Gem so I'm looking forward to it.

Linda

Daring - I frequent Trip Advisor regularly and your quote seems most appropriate for that site.

To all of you - can any of you compare cruising in pre Internet (and pre CC in particular) days. I can't imagine planning a cruise in those days.

I know I've mentioned it somewhere - but you can keep in touch by using this web cam to see the Gem at the Grand Harbour in Malta

http://www.visitmalta.com/webcam1

At the moment there is Gem berthed at the terminal.

Here are a few photos from the cruise....there are only 900+, so that should help a few of you relive your cruise. :)

My dh took about 2/3 of these and I took the other third.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BhamBanda

I miss the ship rocking me to sleep every night!

These photos are fantastic! We are going on the Gem Nov 22. The weather will be much cooler! We've been to Rome a few times, many years ago, but after seeing your photos, we just may take a tour there as well as the other Italy stops! Who did you book your tours with?

Thanks...

I just found this thread so I hope I am appropriate with my comment. We are booked on the Gem for the TA from Barcelona to NY Nov 29. This is a 13 day cruise and the price is so cheap it didn't pay to stay home. If anyone is remotely interested, check it out. Goes to Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno, Rome, Corsica, Malaga and 6 sea days to NY.

I've never sailed the Gem so I'm looking forward to it.

Linda

We did the same cruise last year, it was wonderful! You're going to have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand this is not a roll call, I just have a question about the Gem. We are booked for June 2010 Venice, Turkey, Greek, Croatia 14 days. Do we have to disembark and then embark again in Venice in the middle of the 14-day? Or is that going to be a full day for us to explore Venice?

Archived