Beach suggestion on Roatan with a 5 year old?

cosmo1027

Hi,

We have a stop at Roatan in early February and want to go to a nice beach. Can anyone make a recommendation for a good beach to go to with a 5 year old that loves to play in the sand? And also the best way to get there?

Thanks!

Fantasy Island is a gated resort for which you have to pay for beach privileges. The water has almost no waves or current and the beach runs shallow. It's perfect for a 5-year old. Here's a photo I took there two years ago: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/clr/cruise/Roatan7.html

On the opposite (west side) of the island there also are some fine beaches but the water there seemed to get deeper quicker. Still no problem for a 5-year old, though. Here's a photo that I took from the Mayan Princess Resort a few weeks ago: http://www.lrichters.photosite.com/NovCruise/Roatan/PB170102-2.html. There were some waves, as you can see but the water is fairly gentle. The Mayan Princess does not charge for beach privileges.

Either place is accessible via taxi. Fantasy Island should be about a 30 minute ride and the Mayan Princess about 45 minutes. Distance-wise they're not that bad, it's just the traffic you have to sit in to get through town kinda stinks.

• 1 month later...

Linda, We are completely new to cruising and are going to be in Roaton at the end of January. We thought a day at the beach sounded fun. The Mayan Princess looks very nice. I wondered if you pay the resort to hang out and use their facilities. Also, is it hard to find a taxi to take you there. What does that cost. (in general?) Thanks for all your help!!

Carrie

Valor 1/23/05

DH and I just returned from our cruise on the NCL Sun. We took the ship's tour to Tabyana beach. It was wonderful. Very nice for a child. The water was pretty shallow for a good distance. If I had a 5 yr old that's where I would take them. I saw a couple with two children maybe four and six. They had children's snorkel gear on them and they were teaching them to snorkel. Even if your 5 year old doesn't snorkel they will still see fish swimming very close to the shore. What ever you decide here's hoping you have a wonderful cruise.

Tabyana beach in Rotan is wonderful and one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been on. My kids had a blast. It's very clean and kept groomed very nicely. Lots of sun. Almost as much shade under the many 15' palm trees. There is lots of room for everyone. It's about a 45 minute bus ride from Roatan Bay (Norwegian Cruise Lines port). There is a lot of beautiful scenery along the way. It's well worth the ride...

-Jerry

Archived