Has anyone had any experience rental a wheelchair that is delivered to the ship

stuNYC

RSSC will not provide my wife with a "dedicated" wheelchair that we can take off the ship. We don't own one because she only needs it when she has to walk long distances (ie, in port) I now that certain companies rent wheelchair that they will deliver to the ship. Has anyone had any experience with renting a wheelchair in this manner. I really don't want to buy one or travel on the plane with it.

If you call guest services they should provide a number for a company that will deliver your chair for you.

On Carnival we did that- Ordered a wheelchair-which was delivered and put in her cabin- It was there when she arrived. After the cruise we left it at the Pursers desk and the company picked it up.

The cruise lines do have wheel chairs but they cant be taken off the ship. You are wise to look into this for those shore excursions. The cost was 60 bucks. But that was back in 2002. I dont remember the name of the company. The cruise lines should.

We sailed on RCCL 3 years ago. They said they could not "guarantee" us a wheel chair, however, I was able to speak to the person who actually "releases" the handicapped rooms & was told he would have us one in the cabin upon arrival to use for the duration of the cruise. As luck would have it, the chair was not in the cabin, however, with a few calls & a trip to the pursors desk we were able to get one for the length of the cruise, to take off in the ports if we wished. We did have to put down a security deposit that was completely refunded upon leaving.

Our friends rented one at home, so they could use it at the airport and for boarding , so he wouldn't have to be standing or walking for any long times. It was a companion chair they have smaller wheels are light weight and easier to push,very compact they were given special boarding because he was in the wheelchair, which was helpful so he wouldn't tire as much. Also it fit on the balcony very nicely. Hope this helps.

Cori

Archived