Taxis and Helicopters

helpme

We are going to Hawai in March and would like to know which islands it is a must to rent a car. I'm wanting to book ahead through enterprise so they will be waiting for us at the dock or a shuttle. Also it's our 30th wedding aniversary and would like to book a helicopter ride for DH as a suprise as there is no way you would get me in one, any suggestions.

I took three helicopter flights in Hawaii - two through the ship and one on Maui on my own through Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. Booked on line - and took a taxi from the ship to their heliport. Lots of taxies at the ship in Maui.

All three flights were awesome - especially when you can buy videos of your actual flights! $20.00 for Blue Hawaiian - $33.00 for Heli USA. The helicopter flights were all definitely the highlight of my trip - and I think Maui was the best. Go and enjoy. You will be really missing something spectacular if you don't!

We did Jack Harter in Kauai. Great tour. My mother-in-law was very much afraid of going, but once she go on it she said is was the best thing she every did. Helicopters flights seem more relaxing than even large jets. Smoother flights.

Anyway, there are lots of pics and video on my site.

ask about safety record, look for pilots with military training

and at least 2,000 hours experience

Bottom line: most websites for tour flights do note pilots background

if they have a veteran pilot; so look :)

http://www.safarihelicopters.com/ I let my wife fly with these folks

after she arranged to get a veteran pilot; he was flattered that she knew enough to ask how many hours and how many as AC commander, and

when she asked "slicks or guns" he gave her the best flight one could ask for.

Colorado

fixed wing

operator such as http://www.mauiair.com/

choppers are not eco friendly

and I have enough flight hours as to "let" my wife fly as to deciding safety issues.

We booked online with Jack Harter Helicopters in Kauai. They picked us up and returned us to the dock. It was an awesome 65 minute flight with a delightful, knowledgable pilot. They requested that we call 24 hours in advance of our reservation to confirm the flight, which we did. Cell phone from the ship when we were in Maui the day before worked great. Also, went with Blue Hawaiian in Hilo. We had to take a taxi to the airport which wasn't a problem. The flight over the volcano was a great way to see the whole picture of the steam and lava flow. Very little red when we were there but still awesome. We managed to get a ride back on the tour bus that took some others to the airport who had booked from the ship. ;) Aloha!

Which is the best Island to take the flight I'm only paying for the one or rather DH will when he gets the bill. Do they see volcanoes on both islands. I think I like the idea of picking him up at the ship and then dropping him off that way I wont be worrying if he found a local bar that sells beer!

If you want to see active volcanos you need to fly on the big island out of Hilo.

Kauai has so is waterfalls and amazing features, but the volcanos are all quiet. You do see what's left of the volcanos but most people can't tell that's what they are. Most of the island of Kauai can only be seen be Helicopter or boat, but there is still plenty to see without flying.

All the islands are Volcanos just not currenlty active. We saw the Lava when we were on the Star and it was something to see. We did Kauai our last trip on the POA. Both tours were great, but very different from each other.

We just got back from Celebrity Infinity 10-Day Honolulu to Ensenada. We had reserved rental cars online ahead of time for just about every port. After the first port, we learned that we could get a MUCH better deal by dealing with the rental car shuttles at the pier. I'm glad we had the reservations as a backup, but we only used what we actually had reserved once.

We did the Inter-Island Helicopter Waterfall Adventure on Kauai. It was one of the highlights of the trip. A 2-hour ride on a helicopter with no doors. It lands on private property near waterfall, where we swam in under the waterfall and enjoyed lunch. It was a little pricey - but very much worth it!

Cathy

Archived