Sur Mer?

Carguylee

I don't know what Sur Mer means. That is an interesting question that I hope someone can answer. My friend and I were there last month. I am sorry to report that the fish in the fish & chips was not good. It was cut way too thick, and it didn't seem that the fish was well cooked. Hopefully, that was just a "bad batch" and you will not have that problem. Their oysters were divine!!! If you like fried oysters, be sure to have some at Sur Mer. (Get a double order!) They do have a fish soup, but I can't remember the name of it. They have fritters made of calamari and zucchini that are good. I know there are some other items on the menu, but I am drawing a blank on that right now. They usually cook each item as it is ordered, although they will occasionally have some fish & chips already prepared. One thing you need to remember is that you are not limited to one item from the menu. Order as many as you like!

We had some cerviche and some wonderful fried oysters. Seems like they had sushi once too. I think they have different stuff every day, but the fish and chips they have every day.

Cerviche is the soup, isn't it? I've never tried it. Was it good?

I havn't tried Carnival's Ceviche yet, but here is a recipe (not Carnival's):

http://www.cevicherecipe.org/peruvian-ceviche-recipes/peruvian-fish-ceviche-recipe/

In Ceviche, fish is 'cooked' with acidic juices like lemon, lime or orange. More like marinated fish and other ingredients, not as liquidy as a soup.

Edited by yogi2929

Ceviche is seafood that is "cooked" by marinating in lime juice. Think of a Mexican sashimi (but actually much closer to a Hawaiian "poke")

A rough french translation of Sur Mer is "on the sea", although it prolly should be sur la mer?

Edited by Thirsty Cruiser

Sur is Spanish for south and mar means sea. But, I don't think it's Spanish as it would be Mar Sur, not Sur Mer. It could be French.

Ceviche (also spelled as cebiche or seviche) is a form of citrus-marinated seafood appetizer, popular in mainly Latin American countries like Peru, Panama, Ecuador, Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, and Chile. Both finfish and shellfish are used; finfish is typically raw while shellfish is typically cooked.

Ceviche is seafood that is "cooked" by marinating in lime juice. Think of a Mexican sashimi (but actually much closer to a Hawaiian "poke")

A rough french translation of Sur Mer is "on the sea", although it prolly should be sur la mer?

Most ceviche you come across nowadays (even at a Mexican resort we were at) is made with pre-cooked seafood. It's not as good as real ceviche!

Most ceviche you come across nowadays (even at a Mexican resort we were at) is made with pre-cooked seafood. It's not as good as real ceviche!

Some ingredients are usually cooked anyway, such as crab, but it ain't ceviche if it is "heat-cooked".

I have never had a problem finding it, but I prefer an authentic Mexican restaurant or fish stand. In fact, the best ceviche I have ever had was at a beachfront stand where the guy bought the fish right off the fishing boats and mixed it up right in front of you. Total marination time was 10 seconds. :)

Q: How do you cook a puppet?

A: First, you marionate it. :D

On some ships it is Sur Mer and others it is Fish & Chips.

Only on Conquest is it called Sur Mer. On the other Conquest Class ships, it is called Fisn & Chips.

They are only found on Conquest class ships.

Edited by nolaAlive

• 1 month later...

I took this shot of the Sur Mer menu on the Conquest about a month ago... there's really little difference save one item, I believe...

IMG_3118.jpg

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the image...

• 6 years later...