Panama Canal

vbayly

We are looking at a Panama Canal Cruise - any idea which side is better to be on - Port or Starboard ?

Thanks

Vicki

Depending on the direction you are transiting the canal the ship can enter either side of the locks so the only thing you might think of is which side the sun will be on. :)

We were on a full transit of the Canal this December. We went from the Caribbean to the Pacific. We were on the starboard side- that was neat since we were at the canal at 5:30 AM. We went out onto our balcony and were able to see all the ships lined up. That was the only advantage of being on one side. We were all over the ship (Island was our ship- loved the ship!) It was fun to be on each level to check out the locks. We had done a partial transit years ago- so I knew what the beginning was like. So I just made sure I went to the 5th deck to see the windows go dark when ging into the locks. I was on the promanade to be even with the ground- almost could've reached out and touched the wall of the lock.

Have a terrific time!! Gabrielle

We also were on a full transit from the Caribbean to Pacific aboard the Coral in January and had a starboard balcony. While we were happy with it, we felt there was more to see on the port side and would choose that side when we do it again. The oposite would be true for a Pacific to Caribbean transit. Like the above poster we were all over the ship at various time during the transit. :)

we always have a room on the inside

doesnt really matter there is lots going on

we usually go out on deck but once we had a cabin right on the stern and that was great could see all sides without leaving balcony

hava great cruise its quite interesting

We are looking at a Panama Canal Cruise - any idea which side is better to be on - Port or Starboard ?

Thanks

Vicki

Just returned last week and I can confirm what everyone is saying about the view being lane dependent. Your best bet is to get out on the foredeck and watch the entire approach and passage from there. It's much more interesting than the limited view you will have from a balcony. Just be sure to get out there early!

Archived