Icy Strait Point

Smeecanada

ISP is a great port for a wide range of ages. The younger might want to try the ziprider. The whale watching there is probably the best in Alaska. We use www.teckkoutfittersicystrait.com You could also book a fishing trip with them if that is something you are intersted in. For those that don't want to spend time on a boat, TECKK also offers a van that will do a wildlife search. August is a great time to see bear and other wildlife which is abundant around the Hoonah area. For those that just want to walk around, there is a nice walking trail from the port into Hoonah (about a mile) along the water. Make sure you stop in the Office Bar for a fresh dungeoness crab when you get to Hoonah! We will be back in Hoonah for a few days in late August and plan to do all these things again. Enjoy your cruise.

Whale watching is excellent, but independent vendor's are superior as they have more personal tours, and usually are out longer.

I went with Keith, his first season, and my recommendations blossomed into consistant raves over 4 years. :)

There is a worthwhile museum and scenic walking path at the dock.

Thanks for the comments. Not sure, if we'll do a whale watching as we live in Victoria and see whales fairly frequently while on the ferries. This gives me some more ideas though.

Different "whales", Orcas are actually the dolphin family. :) Humpbacks on this tour.

Archived