Excursion thru Carnival

oldpatrol

What's the question?

I don't think anyone's going to beat you up for wanting to go thru the ship's tour.

I will say that I usually go thru the ships excursion EXCEPT when visiting the Cayman's.

You could save a lot of money by going thru some very trusted companies like Nativeway or Captain Marvins

Sorry, the question is which of the tours offered by carnival would you choose?:o

Looks like you have two choices, through Carnival.

1) "Coral Reef & Stingray Safari" -- Carnival will charge you $65 for what everybody else on the island charges about $40, or less. You go to Stingray City Sandbar and a snorkel site.

2) "Reef n' Rays Snorkeling" -- Carnival charges you $45. From what I can tell this goes to the "other" Stingray City, not the Sandbar, and you also do another snorkel site. Before I decided to use a local operator this was the excursion I was looking at. Here's a website that explains the two stingray sites:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCity_GrandCayman.htm

Since the Carnival description for "Reef n' Rays" says it's in 12 feet of water, I am pretty sure that this excursion goes to the "Valley of the Rays," and not the "Sandbar." Since you describe your snorkeling experience as limited, this might not be ideal for you (don't know for certain, obviously!) as to experience the stingrays you will definitely have to be snorkeling, while you can wade without snorkel gear at the Sandbar.

In both cases I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do shopping when you get back to town (or before you leave), I don't think you need to do that as part of any organized tour or excursion.

There are other Carnival excursions that either just do the stingrays, or do the stingrays but not another snorkel site (but add something else), but you asked about stingrays, snorkeling, and shopping.

Disclaimer: I haven't ever been to Grand Cayman, but I researched like crazy before deciding to go with a local operator, which in our case is stingraysailing.

I am sure you will have a great time! We just confirmed our booking this evening with Fat Fish Adventures for our jet ski tour!!!!! I love CC Ports of Call , you learn soooo much about the ports you visit and so much feedback on quality tour companies. Such a great resource!

Archived