Sapper1 - Saint John

sail7seas

I read your post on another thread and am very interested about the new terminal. Sounds great.

According to the port schedule, the Constellation will be the only ship in port that day so things won't be too crowded. You will be at the brand new Pugsley Terminal which will be opening in early June.

Long Wharf, where you docked last year will soon have its own lovely new terminal building as Irving Oil is going to build their world headquarters building on the wharf and incorporate a new cruiseship terminal as part of the project. I have seen the mockups of the area and it is going to be quite an asset to the waterfront.

How nearby to the old terminal is it located? Is it still walkable distance to town?

Will the local crafts people still set up their stalls?

Happy to hear your DH is doing so well. Hope his recovery continues to go smoothly.

Thanks for any info re: the new docking.

I read your post on another thread and am very interested about the new terminal. Sounds great.

How nearby to the old terminal is it located? Is it still walkable distance to town?

Happy to hear your DH is doing so well. Hope his recovery continues to go smoothly.

Thanks for asking this Sail, I was wondering the same things.We loved the fact Saint John was so 'cruiseship friendly' on our visit last year, just a short walk off the ship and voila lots to see and do

Also Sail,any thoughts on the chances of bringing guests on board while in port. Have you had any experience with this,clearly your 'cruise knowledge' is much greater than mine :) Thanks for any insight

Colleen

It is a lovely new building built right on the site where they used to use those marquee tents----same dock--Pugsley. The gangway is an indoor pedway structure that is designed to rise and fall with the tide. It stays permanently in place and doesn't get moved away like the old one. It is my understanding that the vendors' stalls will be located inside the terminal.

I read in the paper that the CEO of Princess Cruises will be here for the official opening in June. It is the first dedicated terminal that has been built for cruiselines. Other ports have converted warehouses for the purpose. I also read that it was designed to be used for community purposes in the off season.

I hope the opening is open to the public as I would love to get a look inside.

If you read my other post you saw that the Irving Oil Corporation will be building an equally lovely terminal at Long Wharf in addition to their world headquarters.They will be putting in a foot bridge from the wharf over to the Boardwalk behind the Hilton so the passengers won't have such a long walk to get to the uptown area. The Federal Gov't has just approved their 99 year lease on the wharf.

Thanks for the kind words re my husband. He continues to improve----so do I, as I am not so exhausted anymore. Life is becoming good again.

Thank you, Sapper. Sounds wonderful. This surely is a great improvement over the tent system though the tents did serve the need and worked out fine.

Colleyberry.......... It is very difficult to get permission to bring guests aboard. I won't say it never happens but it has to be done in advance, security check must be done and it would be a rare exception for a passenger to be permitted to bring a friend aboard. Please don't count on it happening.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Thank you, Sapper. Sounds wonderful. This surely is a great improvement over the tent system though the tents did serve the need and worked out fine.

Colleyberry.......... It is very difficult to get permission to bring guests aboard. I won't say it never happens but it has to be done in advance, security check must be done and it would be a rare exception for a passenger to be permitted to bring a friend aboard. Please don't count on it happening.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Thanks so much Sail , I will contact Celebrity and make the request but

I am sure you are right and it's just a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

I'll take your advice and not get my hopes up.

Besides, the securitiy check could prove to be a problem,who knows what that Sapper's been up to:D:D

Always so helpful Sail ,thanks again.

The tent system served its purpose. Saint John became a cruise port quite by accident. A number of years ago there was a hurricane in the Atlantic and a cruise ship headed to Bermuda was diverted here out of necessity. With only a few hours notice people sprang into action and organized a welcoming committee (that's how the tradition of the rose for each lady and the pin for each gentleman started), tours, makeshift tent terminal etc. The cruiseline (forget which one) was so impressed with the effort that was made and with the warm welcome that they decided to make SJ a regular stop. Others followed and each year we have more and more visitors. I am sure the original visitors would rather have gone to Bermuda in spite of their warm welcome here in Saint John. :eek:

I remember the first visit by the QE2-----I was able to get onto the dock and right up close and was impressed no end. When she left that day the whole harbour area and the top of Fort Howe Hill were ringed with people and the sound of car horns, police and fire sirens was deafening. She was tied up on the opposite side of the harbour to where the cruiseships now come and when she turned around to leave, she filled the entire harbour and towered over the nearby buildings. It was quite an amazing sight.

We have always found the people of Saint John to be incredibly friendly and eager to help cruise visitors in any way possible. The few times we've asked directions etc, the people were delightful to us. Never had a single bad experience in your fine city.

DH has all the pins he's been given but sadly my roses didn't have quite the same long life. :)

This board is just amazing! It would never have occurred to me otherwise to visit New Brunswick, but after reading this thread, it's definitely on my list. Some time ago, during their "golden" years, my parents did a driving tour of the Maritimes. I remember how fondly they remembered Peggy's Cove and how impressed they were with the Bay of Fundy.

Thanks for the reflections on Saint John!

Sapper, what is the weather generally like in St. John around the US Labor Day weekend (first weekend in September)? We will be on the QM2 for a quick sail.

It is also Labour Day in Canada on the same day as in the US.

September is really our nicest month. The humidity of the summer is gone and fog isn't so much of an issue.

If it is sunny the early mornings will be in the mid 60's but the temp will quickly rise into the 70's and it will be very pleasant. Of course it will be much warmer inland--still very summery. It will cool off quickly after supper and you will want a light jacket or sweatshirt.

If it is foggy and rainy the temps will be more in the low 60's unless there is a hurricane down south, which causes balmy weather here.

We do get hurricanes here but with the notable exception of what Juan did to Halifax a number of years ago, they really don't amount to much more than a lot of rain and wind.

At sea in these parts it will be cold even when it is in the 80's on land. You will want a sweater and a jacket then.

The QM2 will be the only ship in port that day and you will be at the new terminal at Pugsley Wharf. Check out www.cruisesaintjohn.com

We've been in Saint John several times last week of August, first week of September and I always seem to need a hoodie or rain jacket. I don't think I've ever been comfortable in just a 3/4 sleeve jersey. Need a little bit warmer cover.

Thanks, Sapper!

Since we are a short cruise on the QM2 I have a feeling that the captain will take us elsewhere if a hurricane is bearing down on St. John. :D Princess Cay perhaps? I wouldn't complain though Half Moon Cay would be better!.

Looking forward to doing a Bay of Fundy excursion.

We've been in Saint John several times last week of August, first week of September and I always seem to need a hoodie or rain jacket. I don't think I've ever been comfortable in just a 3/4 sleeve jersey. Need a little bit warmer cover.

It sounds similar to Alaska - dress in layers and something weatherproof. :)

Thank you, Sapper.

Interesting reading. I enjoyed it.

Looking forward to seeing this brand new cruise terminal for ourselves. :)

Fun they are giving the high school kids the chance to submit proposed names for it.

Thank you, Sapper.

Interesting reading. I enjoyed it.

Looking forward to seeing this brand new cruise terminal for ourselves. :)

Fun they are giving the high school kids the chance to submit proposed names for it.

I am anxious to hear what sort of names they come up with. Should be fun.

Archived