Anastasia Tours, St. Petersburg, russia

cecil1

Hello,

Anybody have advice on this tour company? We are booking with them, for a two day St.Petersburg tour with another couple.

any advice you would love to share, would be appreciated.

Cecil1

I don't know Anastasia, but I know Anna, one of the people that work with her. She is great. I have used her twice over the past two years, once with my family and once with a group I took to Russia. Both times, everything was perfect!

We used Anastasia Tours last year. Our tour guide was wonderful and we had a great tour. After comparing several tour companies and their prices, we found Anastasia's prices to be the best and she was extremely flexible. On the second day we decided to forego the canal boat ride so that we would have time for shopping and it was no problem. We did not have to pay her for the canal ride we opted not to take that morning.

She does not include the cost of lunch but sends several menus to a few different restaurants. The prices ranged from $20-$60/ pp for a 4 course meal. We asked for a more heart healthy menu for us that did not exceed $20 she did so promptly. The restaurant was wonderful and the food was ready the moment we arrived which really helped us to stay on schedule. The next day we wanted to try Russian pies and spend less money on lunch. Once again it was accomodated. The pie shop only takes Rubles, so she sent Rubles and we paid her back at the end of the day in Dollars, it saved us from changing our currency. However, the pie shop was crowded and it took us some time to get our food, and slowed us down a little.

We were very happy with our experience. I am sure all the tour companies are great, but this one worked well for us.

Glad you had a good experience, Shadowstar. We are booked with her in May. Do you (or anyone else) happen to remember how you paid them? USD, Rubles, or Euros? I thought I read somewhere the they prefer to be paid in Rubles, but now I can't find that.

Thoughts anyone?

Glad you had a good experience, Shadowstar. We are booked with her in May. Do you (or anyone else) happen to remember how you paid them? USD, Rubles, or Euros? I thought I read somewhere the they prefer to be paid in Rubles, but now I can't find that.

Thoughts anyone?

If you are going to pay in USD, then you need crisp new bills. The reason, according to what I have been told, is that Russian banks/currency traders will not accept wrinkled money. We will be touring with Anastasia in May also and plan to pay her with a credit card which, she told us, will not be a problem.

"We will be touring with Anastasia in May also and plan to pay her with a credit card which, she told us, will not be a problem. "

Thanks Fun Seeker. Yes, I'd read the part about them only accepting new crisp US dollars, but it's great to know that credit cards won't be a problem! Thanks again!

Thoughts anyone?

Kennetro-

We paid cash using US $. She accepts Rubles, $ or Euros and even credit cards. However, last year she was giving a discount if we paid with cash. We used the cash we had, they were good bills, not brand new- we did not go around specifically looking for crisp bills, she had no problem with the money we gave her. If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them for you.

Have a fun trip- we did!

Kennetro-

We paid cash using US $. She accepts Rubles, $ or Euros and even credit cards. However, last year she was giving a discount if we paid with cash. We used the cash we had, they were good bills, not brand new- we did not go around specifically looking for crisp bills, she had no problem with the money we gave her. If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them for you.

Have a fun trip- we did!

Thanks for all your good information! I think I just might have to "tip a vodka" in your honor!! LOL

Thanks for all your good information! I think I just might have to "tip a vodka" in your honor!! LOL

I've posted on these boards about our excellent experiences last summer with Anastasia. Just wanted to add my two cents to this posting. It wasn't just the great tour and guide (Jane), but Anastasia was wonderful during the planning process, what she sent us, etc. Her responsiveness was great and helped make what could seem confusing to be understandable and easier to manage.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I've posted on these boards about our excellent experiences last summer with Anastasia. Just wanted to add my two cents to this posting. It wasn't just the great tour and guide (Jane), but Anastasia was wonderful during the planning process, what she sent us, etc. Her responsiveness was great and helped make what could seem confusing to be understandable and easier to manage.

Oh great! Now I'll HAVE to "tip a vodka" in your honor too, Terry!! LOL Thanks for your two cents.

Yes, Anastasia has been so kind & accomodating with every request we've made. I'm sure our time with them will be the highlight of our trip!

Oh great! Now I'll HAVE to "tip a vodka" in your honor too, Terry!! LOL Thanks for your two cents. Yes, Anastasia has been so kind & accomodating with every request we've made. I'm sure our time with them will be the highlight of our trip!

THANKS! Enjoy "my" vodka!

Here's what we did last summer. Maybe an idea or two will be helpful to you and you can drink another vodka toast to me. Getting our "pace" and flow was important!

Our first day was doing the Moscow one-day trip through cruise ship folks. It was a long, but super day flying there in the am. We saw the inside of the spectacular Kremlin Palace, Red Square, historic Cathedrals, Kremlin Towers, crown jewels and Fabrege Eggs, KGB Headquarters, riding the subway there, seeing the main ballet building exterior, experiencing the shift to capitalism there, dinner in an old writer's club, etc. It was a once in a lifetime experience, especially to help understand better more on Russia's complex and long history. We got back to the ship a little before 1 am after the return jet flight.

The next day, we started our custom, private tour with our guide and driver a little later in the next day to allow a better timing situation after the full day in Moscow. Here is what we did in St. Petersburg:

THURSDAY, JULY 31, 2008

10 am, depart Crystal Symphony

11 am-12:30 pm, Catherine's Palace, including Amber Room. Lots of gold, huge rooms, lavish living style, etc.

1:30-4 pm, Peterhoff & Gardens (built early 1700's by Peter the Great and all gravity-feed water features)

4-4:40 pm, Hydrofoil to downtown, seeing all of the many historic buildings, etc.

5:15-6 pm, St. Isaac's Cathedral

6-7 pm. Private Canal Cruise, just our private guide and us as two couples seeing the palaces and buildings from water level

7-8 pm, Savior on the Spilt Blood Cathedral, plus a little around the downtown and then return to the ship

This busy day was not tiring as we had a nice mix of riding, walking, riding, no long lines, seeing, riding, walking, etc.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 1, 2008

8:30 am, Depart ship, shopping stop enroute, more photo opportunities

9:30 am, Hermitage early admission (ahead of crowds and normal 10:30 am opening). No rushing. Plenty time for questions, pictures, soaking up the history, architecture and great art. We brought pre-arranged boxed lunches from the ship and had a great picnic lunch in a our van parked on the great square overlooking Alexander Column and the military headquarters on Palace Square. We could have dined in a regular restaurant, but this saved time and was a perfect outdoor setting in a "to die for" location with a world-class view. Two of the seventeen existing Da Vinci paintings in the world are here (one of them is in a museum in Paris). There are 25 Rembrandt's at this museum, including his last, best painting with its religious connections late in his life.

1:30-3 pm, Yusupoff's Palace, just the four of us and our guide in this historic palace where Rasputin was killed and the richest family in Russia lived and operated.

3-4 pm, Shopping/other options to see or do in main St. Petersburg

5 pm, return back to the ship where they had local dancers with musicians do a great show

6 pm, ship departure sailing out from harbor

It was a super great three days! For people who love to ask questions and take pictures, this was a great experience in two of the most special cities in the world. Lots done and seen in just three days. We didn't not feel rushed, tired and over-programmed.

Terry in Ohio

Terry,

We're working out the details with Anastasia right now, and I have a few questions for you.

1. I noticed that you didn't include a trip to the St. Petersburg subway, which Anastasia is recommending to us. Is that because you visited the subway in Moscow?

2. Instead of the subway, your tour included a Hydrofoil back downtown from Tsarskoe Selo. Would you recommend the Hydrofoil over the subway?

3. Your tour included a private Canal Cruise. Anastasia didn't include that for us, because we have to be back at the ship earlier (our companions are doing the Crystal tour to the Mariinsky that night, and need to be back to the ship by 5pm). Is the Canal Cruise a must-see? If so, we might ask we can do that after we drop off the other couple.

4. Your tour included a stop at Yusupoff Palace, but Anastasia didn't include that in her suggestions to us. Was it worth a visit? I would like to see it myself, if only because of knowing what happened there. (I recently finished reading "Nicholas & Alexandra", the biography of the last Tzar, and the story of Rasputin's murder was so compelling!) If it's really worth it, then we'll do what you did for lunch that day and bring a box from the ship rather than go to a restaurant, which should save us enough time to visit there (I hope).

5. What did you do for your evening in St. Petersburg? We don't really want to do the ballet, so we're thinking of doing the Folkloric Dance Show at Nikolaevsky Palace. Know anything about that show?

Sorry for all the questions! We're getting down to the nitty gritty now, and I want to get it right. :) Thanks for your help!

Terry, thanks for these questions. I am working with Anastasia as well for July 4 and 5. She told me that the hydrofoil is not as must do as you see only sea on both sides. I hadn't asked about canal yet. She did tell me that doing the Y palace makes it very rushed. I look forward to comments from others on these two topics.

LeeAnne,

I know you wrote specifically to Terry but I can answer some of your questions.

We went to the folkloric show and really LOVED it! It was fun, entertaining and gave us a glimpse into the Russian culture.

We were going to do the canal ride and then cancelled it due to the fact that we wanted a little time for shopping. Others on our ship who went on the canal boat ride, with other tour companies had mixed opinions. Some loved it and others did not. It would have been nice to have done this, but with the limited time we had we had to make a few sacrifices!

We went on the subway. It was an experience to see how grand the subway stations are and they were built by the communists to be the "people's palace." They were also used as bomb shelters. While all the palaces etc that we visited were built during the time of the Czars, this gave us a different perspective of the communist era.

The hydrofoil can be cancelled due to wind and we really did not see this to be something we had to do. We were in Russia to see art and history!

I hope this helps in your planning.

Terry, We're working out the details with Anastasia right now, and I have a few questions for you.

1. I noticed that you didn't include a trip to the St. Petersburg subway, which Anastasia is recommending to us. Is that because you visited the subway in Moscow?

2. Instead of the subway, your tour included a Hydrofoil back downtown from Tsarskoe Selo. Would you recommend the Hydrofoil over the subway?

3. Your tour included a private Canal Cruise. Anastasia didn't include that for us, because we have to be back at the ship earlier (our companions are doing the Crystal tour to the Mariinsky that night, and need to be back to the ship by 5pm). Is the Canal Cruise a must-see? If so, we might ask we can do that after we drop off the other couple.

4. Your tour included a stop at Yusupoff Palace, but Anastasia didn't include that in her suggestions to us. Was it worth a visit? I would like to see it myself, if only because of knowing what happened there. (I recently finished reading "Nicholas & Alexandra", the biography of the last Tzar, and the story of Rasputin's murder was so compelling!) If it's really worth it, then we'll do what you did for lunch that day and bring a box from the ship rather than go to a restaurant, which should save us enough time to visit there (I hope).

5. What did you do for your evening in St. Petersburg? We don't really want to do the ballet, so we're thinking of doing the Folkloric Dance Show at Nikolaevsky Palace. Know anything about that show?

Sorry for all the questions! We're getting down to the nitty gritty now, and I want to get it right. :) Thanks for your help!

THANKS, Lee Anne, for all of the good questions! The easy answer is that ALL of the options on things to do in St. Petersburg are good. BUT, your time is limited. I would look at two key factors: What fits your personal interests and how does it flow on your trip/plan to allow a good mix of sitting/traveling versus standing/walking. You need to pace yourself and not feel like you've been on a forced march of go, go, go . . . on your feet constantly. Our two days had a nice mix of sitting (in the car or on a boat) and walking/standing.

1. Yes, since we had done the subway in Moscow, doing that in St. Petersburg was not as important. We didn't want to either duplicate or miss some of the major/best options. I rate the subway as important, if possible, to do. It isn't in the top five or six "must-do's" for Russia, but it's in the top twelve.

2. I liked the Hydrofoil. It's cool technology and fast! We got to see St. Petersburg from a different angle. Coming into the large area in front of the Hermitage with the fountains running is interesting, plus seeing many of the buildings from nice angles, getting lots of pictures, being outside on a nice sunny day, etc. It's not a must do, but it worked very well for us. This versus the subway? Hard to say. That's a personal choice.

3. The Canal Cruise was very nice, restful and allowed us to see this historic city from a different angle than just riding around in a car or bus. It was just the four of us, plus our guide, on the large boat. No crowding. We felt "special" as we went around, got to ask lots of questions, etc. Must-see? Probably not. We liked it and it worked well for us with our needs (including being able to take lots of pictures, etc.).

4. We loved the Yusupoff Palace. In part, the place was not crowded or rushed. It was mainly just us and our guide touring through. That made it more personal. The history is unique there and it was different than just being in one of the MASSIVE CZAR PALACES. It was unique and beautiful, but in a more human scale. You could image the private parties there and how it would be in that time period. It was different and more interesting than just another large museum, old church, etc.

5. We didn't do the Folkloric Dance Show at Nikolaevsky Palace. I'm sure it is good and interesting. After a long day of touring, you want something that is light and not too long or boring. It's just a matter of how it ALL fits together and flows for your personal interests and needs. Since we had been in Moscow the day before, we started our first day in St. Petersburg a little later and ran into the early evening in the city before returning to the ship. We didn't want to over-schedule for that first day in St. Petersburg. On our second day in St. Petersburg, we were departing at 6 pm from the port. Fortunately, our ship had a short, but very good, show on the ship by some local dancers and music pro's. That worked very well.

There are no right or wrong answers! You can't do it all, but you want to get the right, best MIX and SAMPLING of the many key highlights that will be life-long memories from this wonderful city. You want to push yourself, but not too much that you can't enjoy all that you see and do. Any more questions?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry, thanks for these questions. I am working with Anastasia as well for July 4 and 5. She told me that the hydrofoil is not as must do as you see only sea on both sides. I hadn't asked about canal yet. She did tell me that doing the Y palace makes it very rushed. I look forward to comments from others on these two topics.

Hopefully with what I did for Lee Anne, it covered many of your questions. Don't be shy! Ask questions and think about these many, many various options. We didn't lots of that fine-tuning and research in putting together our plan last year. It's always evolving and being improved.

SHOPPING? Yes, that is a serious trade-off question! I like to take pictures, not shop. But, we did allow for a mix of shopping stops in our plan. With a private tour and a great tour company/guide, it is both possible and easy to make some adjustments as you go, being flexible, etc.

We will be in St. Petersburg in July and will have 2 children with us (10 and 12). Anyone know if any of the tour companies are better or worse for children?

The BIG SECRET is not which company, but it is your smarts in asking the right questions, sharing your specific needs and wisely picking the tour company that best fits your tailored interests. We were very, very happy with Anastasia during the six months or so in planning and adjusting our options/schedule leading up to our late July visit to St. Petersburg. We were even happier with Anastasia and Jane who did our tour while there. Really "doing it" and enjoying this historic and scenic town was the "frosting on the cake". You need to tell them all about you and your children, what they like, their interests, attention spans, etc. Just like adults, children are all different. One size or flavor does not fit or work for all kids, especially yours. My guess would be that your kids have shorter attention spans than adults, get a little bored with too much old history, shopping; want to run a little outside, etc. Research a little on St. Petersburg so that you can get a sense of these many options. Books like the Eyewitness series are excellent in showing you what these various attractions and options look like. Discuss these options with your kids. Get their "buy in" for what you'll be doing. Clearly the Peterhof (including the outdoor surprise fountain area), riding the hydrofoil, etc. would be of major entertainment interest, etc. Doing large group tours with 30-50 people would not work well. Doing a private tour has lots of major pluses, including much less time wasted waiting in line, etc.

Hi Everyone

I am going to St Petersburg in September and thanks for all the information. However, one important question, what was the size of your tour group. Was it just a couple, or did you find yourself on tours of more. What kind of vehicles did they use. We are three adults and trying to find a tour that is flexible yet comprehensive.

Archived