Anastasia Tours, St. Petersburg, russia

cecil1

We were on the June 22 sailing of the Eurodam, and I set up a custom tour with Anastasia. It varied it a bit from the standard itinerary (we included a canal cruise, for example), and received pricing back very quickly - broken down by category, etc. I used our roll call page to see if any other parties would be interested in doing the tour with us, and we quickly went from 2 to 4 to 7 to 9, before cutting it off at a party of 11. As we brought new people into the tour, they had a vote on accepted more people or limiting the size.

As the group size grew, the cost came down. Also, with Anastasia they are making suggestions all the way through on how to improve the trip, and sometimes those suggestions reduce the costs. For example, Anastasia had been hearing consistent reports that groups signed up for early admission at the Hermitage were waiting for long periods of time to get in. Everyone is doing early admission, it seems. So, she suggested we arrange our day, and arrive at the Hermitage mid-morning. We walked right in with no line, and saved the early admission cost.

A party of 11 seemed about right for the two day tour. We heard horror stories of large groups held up by one missing person. Plus, the logistics of getting 40 or more people on and off a bus, into restrooms and back, etc. are very difficult. You also have a much better chance of actually hearing what your tour guide is saying.

The communications that HAL put out about private tours had us all on edge. They were basically saying we could either be the first ones off (way before the time we had agreed upone with Anastasia) or leave after all the ship's tours left. In the end, we did have to get up earlier than we should have had to, and were "quarantined" in a lounge for half an hours or so with other private tour groups. We were then led off the ship by one of the staff before the ship's groups. Had HAL tried to hold us on the ship we were all prepared to just march to the gangplank and leave. Luckily it did not come to that.

Interestingly, on the second day HAL made no such attempt to hold us hostage!

The benefits of a private tour very much outweigh any of the inconveniences like the one mentioned above though. I'd recommend Anastasia, and our guide Irina and driver Andrew, in a heartbeat.

You can see the pictures of our St. Petersburg tour, if you have tolerance for a lot of photos, at:

http://www.tripfolio.com/balticsea/stpetersburg/album/index.html

For those with low tolerance, here are a few photos, I'll try to figure out how Terry in Ohio inserts his pictures at such a great size. So far I can only get thumbnails to load...

Loved your photos! We will be there in May with Anastasia, but we have been there twice in the past off of cruise ships. Your photos brought back memories of the wonderful sights. Can't wait to show them to our daughter. Thanks for sharing!

Hey, you had our guide, Irina! I saw her on photo #155 of your photos. Wasn't she FABULOUS? And such an encyclopedic knowledge. We loved her!

GREAT photos - you got some shots that I was unable to get - like a great image of the many gilt-lined doorways telescoping through Catherine's Palace. My shots just didn't come out as good.

Thanks for the compliment. I always wonder if anyone else will ever see the photos I post on the web. Even my own wife resists looking at them - she wants snapshots she can hold in her hand!

I'm trying again to see if I can master Terry in Ohio's trick for inserting "larger than thumbnail" photos. I really need to square this shot up just a bit, but here goes...

file0080.JPG

Loved your photos! We will be there in May with Anastasia, but we have been there twice in the past off of cruise ships. Your photos brought back memories of the wonderful sights. Can't wait to show them to our daughter. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the kind words. I wish we could go back next year ourselves. If you are seeing other cities than St. Petersburg you might be interested in seeing the other ports we visited:

http://tripfolio.com/balticsea/balticsea.html

And just because I have now figured this out and want to play with it, here are a few of my favorite views of St. Petersburg...

file0163.JPG

file0242.JPG

file0339.JPG

file0378.JPG

file0593.JPG

_SC_0101.JPG

Thanks for the compliment. I always wonder if anyone else will ever see the photos I post on the web. Even my own wife resists looking at them - she wants snapshots she can hold in her hand!

I'm trying again to see if I can master Terry in Ohio's trick for inserting "larger than thumbnail" photos. I really need to square this shot up just a bit, but here goes...

file0080.JPG

YES! That's the exact shot I was admiring. Yours really shows the depth of the place - the dramatic view of looking down that telescoping line of gilt-lined doorways. Mine just didn't come out nearly as well. Thanks! :D

I'm trying again to see if I can master Terry in Ohio's trick for inserting "larger than thumbnail" photos.

Congratuations to jbkimsey!!! Glad you got it figured out for these picture postings. It took me some time to get it mastered. It really helps to see them in a larger size. The little thumbnails don't quite do it. I looked at your 384 pictures and enjoyed it so much! It brought back some great memories from last summer. It looked like you some super nice, blue, clear, sunny skies and weather.

Below are a couple more of my pictures that are a little "added" and different from the ones you had posted on your site. I had a 10-20 mm wide angle lens that helped on some shots such as the Grand Staircase at the Hermitage. In one of the pictures, you can our wonderful guide Jane with the other couple in our group as we experienced the large, grand reception area inside St. Catherine's Palace.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From St. Catherine's Palace, including a band welcoming, Amber Room when the camera "accidently" went off:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

A-StP-CathPalAmberRm.jpg

Hermitage Grand Staircase and Seeing Great Art There:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

1A-StP-Hermt-RemProd.jpg

Local Dancers Do a Farewell Show on our Ship:

1A-StP-DancerShow.jpg

I loved your photos so much before our trip that I bought a 10-20mm lens also (ouch!). I had some good results from it, but still need some practice.

It's a shame about that accidental Amber Room shot though...

Not to worry - I just viewed your photos. Do you mind if I "borrow" some that turned out better than mine did?

I loved your photos so much before our trip that I bought a 10-20mm lens also (ouch!). I had some good results from it, but still need some practice. It's a shame about that accidental Amber Room shot though...

Glad you got that special wide angle lens. It really makes a difference when inside so many of the great palaces, churches, etc., of the Baltics and Europe. And the camera accidentally going off ? . . . that sometimes happened several times!!! With that type of a wide angle lens, when it goes off that way, you tend to get better results and have more useable pictures.

Glad you had a good experience, Shadowstar. We are booked with her in May. Do you (or anyone else) happen to remember how you paid them? USD, Rubles, or Euros? I thought I read somewhere the they prefer to be paid in Rubles, but now I can't find that.

Thoughts anyone?

We are looking to join a tour for next May. When are you sailing or arriving at St. Petersburg?

Glenn:eek:

I agree with you LeeAnne, but our roll call is really sick at this time. Not much doing and I guess it is just too early. Our cruise is not until the end of May. I will keep checking and thanks for all of your special help. I tend to do the year long planning and love all of it. For me it is so much a part of the wonderful cruise. Again thanks.

I have also been looking for folks going on our sailing, June 10 from Moscow, but nothing so far. Agree that the planning is part of the cruise experience. We, took, are seriously considering Anastasia, but are looking at other companies, Red October and Denrus, before we make a decision.

Going with one other couple, but wish we could increase the group just a little to reduce the cost, although we sure don't want a busload.

Mickie

Agree that the planning is part of the cruise experience. We, took, are seriously considering Anastasia, but are looking at other companies, Red October and Denrus, before we make a decision. Going with one other couple, but wish we could increase the group just a little to reduce the cost, although we sure don't want a busload. Mickie

Having a group of just four is super!!! Increasing it to six or eight people does save some money, but it adds, a little, to the challenges in moving a group, getting in and out of the vehicle, hearing all of the comments and discussions, etc. It's a choice and there are "trade-offs" to consider.

Those logistics and having everybody on the "same page" for what they need to do and see, how, etc., is very important. Two of our group of four liked to take lots of pictures, slowing us a little, but one member had a gimpy leg. So it all worked super well for pacing, interests, etc.

In doing your smart, advance planning, if you can "MIX the FLOW", it helps greatly. Riding in van, then walking and standing, riding hydrofoil, touring a church, sitting while doing canal tour, doing more walking and standing, etc. That varied "pacing" makes a big, positive different to lessen the punishing of the body during these long and challenging days. Doing a continuous "march, march, march" type of day can get tiring and lessen your overall enjoyment.

Not to worry - I just viewed your photos. Do you mind if I "borrow" some that turned out better than mine did?

Of course not! Please download any shots you would like. It you'd like higher resolution shots, just give me the file numbers and an e:mail address and I'll send them to you.

We (Husband, myself, and another couple) have just returned from Princess Cruise Lines Baltic cruise. We did hire Denrus for a two day private tour. The only complaint we have is that our tour guide took us to three shops in the two days, not something we were interested in. Aside from that, she was excellent. A private tour is the only way to see Russia. Paying the cruise ship's excursion prices are crazy. Don't do it. Don't worry about getting off the ship in Russia, do not wait until the ship's tours get off first. As long as all your paperwork is in order just go to the gangplank, punch your cruise card and keep walking. YOU NEED TO ONLY PRESENT YOUR PAPER WORK (PASSPORT, TOUR COMPANY TICKET, ETC.) TO THE RUSSIAN IMMIGRATION. DON'T BE INTIMIDATED BY THE CRUISES SO CALLED RULES OF WHO EXITS THE SHIP AND IN WHICH ORDER. We met people who used the company you are considering and they loved it. Have a great trip. Ann

Of course not! Please download any shots you would like. It you'd like higher resolution shots, just give me the file numbers and an e:mail address and I'll send them to you.

jbkimsey,

Wow! What an excellent deal for me! I'm swamped at work for the next few weeks & have company in town this weekend, so it may be a couple of weeks before I can view your pictures again at leisure and make a list. I know I DEFINITELY want the "telescoping" picture of St Catherine's hallways - mine was blurry.

In the meantime, here's my email address:

Donna.L.Reed@CavteL.net

By the way, how do you get different resolutions? When I upload to WalMart and order a CD, they provide a folder with high-res & a folder with low-res, but when I upload the files to my computer, they are all high-res.... And, how about thumbnails? How do you create those? If I only had time to read the manual that came with the camera, maybe all these questions would be answered....;)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Donna

jbkimsey,

Wow! What an excellent deal for me! I'm swamped at work for the next few weeks & have company in town this weekend, so it may be a couple of weeks before I can view your pictures again at leisure and make a list. I know I DEFINITELY want the "telescoping" picture of St Catherine's hallways - mine was blurry.

In the meantime, here's my email address:

Donna.L.Reed@CavteL.net

By the way, how do you get different resolutions? When I upload to WalMart and order a CD, they provide a folder with high-res & a folder with low-res, but when I upload the files to my computer, they are all high-res.... And, how about thumbnails? How do you create those? If I only had time to read the manual that came with the camera, maybe all these questions would be answered....;)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Donna

Donna, I have sent you the photo you asked for, the one I posted here, but straighened and cropped a bit.

If I understand you, you'd like to know how my website makes the lower "web resolution" images and the thumbnails of the photos. I use a free (contributions welcome) software called jalbum. You can download it at http://jalbum.net .

Once you have loaded the software, you can select from a wide variety of "skins", or specialized looks, for your web page. I used a "skin" called Digital Photo Librarian Version 3.

It's really pretty easy from that point on. You select the photos you want in your slide show, crop and rotate them right in the tool, and then create the slide show. You can upload those files to any website you have access to. I set up my own domain, but you can just have your own pages at any number of different domain set up for that.

If you are really just wanting to know how to change the resolution of a photo, and you're not interested in all the stuff I mentioned above, you just need a tool like Photoshop Elements, or Microsoft Office Picture Manager to resize and reduce the resolution of the photos. For viewing on the web, you really just need something like 72 dpi. In Photoshop Elements there is an option called "save for web".

I hope this helps.

Brian

• 1 year later...
We used Anastasia Tours last year. Our tour guide was wonderful and we had a great tour. After comparing several tour companies and their prices, we found Anastasia's prices to be the best and she was extremely flexible. On the second day we decided to forego the canal boat ride so that we would have time for shopping and it was no problem. We did not have to pay her for the canal ride we opted not to take that morning.

She does not include the cost of lunch but sends several menus to a few different restaurants. The prices ranged from $20-$60/ pp for a 4 course meal. We asked for a more heart healthy menu for us that did not exceed $20 she did so promptly. The restaurant was wonderful and the food was ready the moment we arrived which really helped us to stay on schedule. The next day we wanted to try Russian pies and spend less money on lunch. Once again it was accomodated. The pie shop only takes Rubles, so she sent Rubles and we paid her back at the end of the day in Dollars, it saved us from changing our currency. However, the pie shop was crowded and it took us some time to get our food, and slowed us down a little.

We were very happy with our experience. I am sure all the tour companies are great, but this one worked well for us.

we are 10 people traveling to St. Petersburg in Aug. Could you suggest the highlights not to be missed as part of your tour or things you wish you did? We are trying to decide between Anastasia and Red October. Any thoughts on this? Thanks,

Betty H

we travelled with anastasia last year[2010] However since then Anastasia travel has been taken over by another company I believe called I travel SPB.

the original Anastasia has set up a new travel company but I'm afraid I cant remember what its called

there does seem to be a lot of new travel companies set up over the last year or so-if you search the boards you will find recoomendations however be cautious of "one post wonders"

good luck

Lyn

In late July, 2008, we did Crystal Symphony cruise of the Baltics (Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Tallinn and Stockholm) and had three days in St. Petersburg. Our first day was doing the Moscow one-day trip through cruise ship folks. It was a long, but super day flying there in the am. We saw the inside of the spectacular Kremlin Palace, Red Square, historic Cathedrals, Kremlin Towers, crown jewels and Fabrege Eggs, KGB Headquarters, riding the subway there, seeing the main ballet building exterior, experiencing the shift to capitalism there, dinner in an old writer's club, etc. It was a once in a lifetime experience, especially to help understand better more on Russia's complex and long history. We got back to the ship a little before 1 am after the return jet flight.

The next day, we started our custom, private tour through Anastasia with our guide and driver a little later in the next day to allow a better timing situation after the full day in Moscow. Here is what we did in St. Petersburg:

THURSDAY, JULY 31, 2008

10 am, depart Crystal Symphony

11 am-12:30 pm, Catherine's Palace, including Amber Room. Lots of gold, huge rooms, lavish living style, etc.

1:30-4 pm, Peterhoff & Gardens (built early 1700's by Peter the Great and all gravity-feed water features)

4-4:40 pm, Hydrofoil to downtown, seeing all of the many historic buildings, etc. For us, the hydrofoil BOTH saved time and was a fun, interesting way to enter into this historic area, see other sights, etc. Our driver was there to pick us up and continue our tour.

5:15-6 pm, St. Isaac's Cathedral

6-7 pm. Private Canal Cruise, just our private guide and us as two couples seeing the palaces and buildings from water level

7-8 pm, Savior on the Spilt Blood Cathedral, plus a little around the downtown and then return to the ship

This busy day was not tiring as we had a nice mix of riding, walking, riding, no long lines, seeing, riding, walking, etc. Having that right flow and "mix" of activities was good and important "pacing" to make things more manageable.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 1, 2008

8:30 am, Depart Crystal Symphony, shopping stop enroute, more photo opportunities

9:30 am, Hermitage early admission (ahead of crowds and normal 10:30 am opening). No rushing. Plenty time for questions, pictures, soaking up the history, architecture and great art. We brought pre-arranged boxed lunches from the ship and had a great picnic lunch in a our van parked on the great square overlooking Alexander Column and the military headquarters on Palace Square. We could have dined in a regular restaurant, but this saved time and was a perfect outdoor setting in a "to die for" location with a world-class view. Two of the seventeen existing Da Vinci paintings in the world are here (one of them is in some museum in Paris). There are 25 Rembrandt's at this museum, including his last, best painting with its religious connections late in his life.

1:30-3 pm, Yusupoff's Palace, just the four of us and our guide in this historic palace where Rasputin was killed and the richest family in Russia lived and operated.

3-4 pm, Shopping/other options to see or do in main St. Petersburg

5 pm, return back to the ship where they had local dancers with musicians do a great show

6 pm, ship departure sailing out from harbor

It was a super great three days! For people who love to ask questions and take pictures, this was a great experience in two of the most special cities in the world. Lots done and seen in just three days.

Below are some visual samples with our great guide.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,580 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 17 such painting by this artist existing in the world.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac.:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with its spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

From the dock at the Peterhof, here is the hydrofoil approaching before we started our trip into St. Petersburg. It is a little like boarding a "space ship". Cool and interesting ride!:

1A-StP-Hydrofoil.jpg

From the hydrofoil, here is the Hermitage exterior and the water feature:

1A-StP-Hermt-Ex2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived